is there oversampling wrapper/container out there?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

That's F'in brilliant!

Come on Ableton, Image-Line, Steinberg, etc....

MogwaiBoy wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:25 am ... I would have thought Airwindows, Hornet or some other adventurous and capable indie dev would have jumped on this already...
That's something we wanted to do for a while but there is a big problem... you actually have to create plugin host. that's it, your plugin becomes an host for other plugins and this is a terrible support mess since you would have to test your wrapper with a lot of other plugins to make sure it works and honestly it's not probably worth it. It's a good target for an open source project though where a whole community could support it and test it, we small developers would have a hard time to be able to gather all the most common plugins and some obscure ones to be able to test compatibility...

Saverio

whyterabbyt wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:27 am
JerGoertz wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:17 am There is/was a little .dll you could put in the folder of any VST that would give it something like up to 4x oversampling. Something like jschris.dll. Unfortunately I can't be of more help, maybe someone else remembers what I'm talking about.
KVR's own arke/Chris Walton wrote one that did exactly that, but its not been updated in a very long time afaik.
https://sites.google.com/site/vstoversampler/home
Christian Budde also had something like that, but that was like 15 years ago too. I can’t even find his site or anything now. It seems like there were others, like oversampler plug-ins were once a fairly common utility?

poseidal wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:04 am Looks like Reaper as of v6.54 has per-FX oversampling options now:
+ FX: add per-FX instance and per-FX chain oversampling options (if both chain and instance are set, the higher of the two is used)
Been using this since the pre-release betas and it works great for most plugins/chains. But there are some caveats: 1) with stupidly high oversampling rates (talking >192khz), some plugins just stop functioning and/or sound weird or can crash in rare cases - keep things reasonable and you'll be fine with 95% of plugins, 2) Acustica and some other plugins just don't react well to dynamic sample rate changes. It also uses Voxengo's R8Brain Free for the oversampling, so it's a very high-quality algorithm. Thanks Aleksey!

I know Reaper's a pain in the ass to learn, has a billion settings, is at it's heart a linear style DAW and isn't really geared towards holding your hand and making music creation as some other DAWs try to, but it does cool sh*t like this. Love it.

This new Reaper feature is absolutely awesome!

Yes, good warnings posted above. I can with certainty say that you should NEVER go past 96kHz if you have any Overloud plugins in the session. Overloud's all plugins go completely wonky sounding if you go past that.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

HoRNet wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:41 am
MogwaiBoy wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:25 am ... I would have thought Airwindows, Hornet or some other adventurous and capable indie dev would have jumped on this already...
That's something we wanted to do for a while but there is a big problem... you actually have to create plugin host. that's it, your plugin becomes an host for other plugins and this is a terrible support mess since you would have to test your wrapper with a lot of other plugins to make sure it works and honestly it's not probably worth it. It's a good target for an open source project though where a whole community could support it and test it, we small developers would have a hard time to be able to gather all the most common plugins and some obscure ones to be able to test compatibility...

Saverio
Yeah, I understand this - and this is part of the issue with Metaplugin I suppose (patchy compatibility). But I think, as long as it crashes the plugin itself, not the entire DAW, and is recoverable that should be fine. Part of the "elegant solution" product would educating the customer that every plugin has a samplerate limit.

There are many, many plugins that simply do not operate at high samplerates and will freeze or crash the DAW - so adding 16x OS to your favourite 32-bit plugin from 2007 is simply asking for trouble :lol:

I agree an opensource community project where thousands of people contribute to testing and improving, would be ideal.

Sorry to single out Hornet - but I did say you were adventurous and capable :)

Reaper FTW, as always.

Return to “Effects”