DAW's Mentioned Before Other's

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Maybe it only reflect my filter bubble, but it really seems that Ableton is the de facto "bedroom DAW" these days. Everywhere i look at least. Almost everyone seem to use it. They also have really competent zeitgeisty marketing (ugh), with tons of leading artists and taste makers publicly endorsing it.

It doesn't always seem like it based on online polls on enthusiast fora but Ableton seems pretty ubiquitous otherwise.

It seems to be omnipresent on the "professional" front as well... just like Cubase and Logic.

My $0.02: Only (mostly) kids concern themselves with what other people like or not. Mature adults more often just use what works for them and actually don't care what the Internet thinks.

Which is why somewhere there's a guy on his 5th nice demo album with GarageBand, his USB mic, and his guitar, while quite literally not giving a shit about the Internet DAW wars or what other people think the coolest music toy is this week. :lol:

Do you enjoy making music? Do others enjoy your music? If the answer is yes, why the heck should you care if the tool you use is at the bottom of the Google search results? :hihi:

LawrenceF wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:46 am My $0.02: Only (mostly) kids concern themselves with what other people like or not. Mature adults more often just use what works for them and actually don't care what the Internet thinks.
As it is being handled in the course i'm doing ATM... don't underestimate the influence of influencer marketing. It may seem silly, especially for us folks who live a bit longer in this world, but... it seems to be a vital part of what people decide these days. ;) See also the loads of topics or posts following the pattern of "What is better? X or Y?". People are either - too lazy, or - too insecure to make up their mind regularly.

Not to say that everyone is like that, but... it's kind of scary to me how many such posts i read here or elsewhere. Hypes seem to be more important than the own choice. See Youtube, where the first thing you get offered are "Most viewed", or "Recommended" videos.

True. Some simply aren't happy unless they're using something the Internet deems to be "popular". It's like high school peer pressure, like if you wear certain sneakers you can't be cool, even if while wearing them you run faster and score more points at B-Ball than the cool kids wearing the cool sneakers.

You'd think something like making music would be judged on the musical end result, not whether or not a bunch of strangers think your music tool is not as cool as theirs. ;)

Thankfully most of us grow out of that nonsense at some point.
Last edited by LawrenceF on Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

LawrenceF wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:23 am True. Some simply aren't happy unless they're using something the Internet deems to be "popular". It's like... high school peer pressure.
True thing. :lol:

It's actually one of the things i enjoy most about growing older. You don't have that kind of stuff anymore. :)

AnX wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:24 am
stearine wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:31 am There's a time and space where DAW's are discussed but Reaper isn't even mentioned? WHERE??
in pro studios :wink:
Wrong :D
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

stearine wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:31 am There's a time and space where DAW's are discussed but Reaper isn't even mentioned? WHERE??
sadly, those days are gone.
the other day i was out shopping, just browsing the salad section when a staff member approached and asked "have you tried reaper?".
it has broken out now, there is no going back.
this is how the apocalypse begins :)

jonljacobi wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:25 pm I think that list is not very accurate and reflects only your personal experience.
That was my first thought when I saw the list.

although, to be fair to "the not so secretive cult of reaper" the bitwig cult is growing now too.
even synth discussions now get "the grid" thrown at them no matter what the question.

that’s because it’s amazing!

vurt wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:21 pm although, to be fair to "the not so secretive cult of reaper" the bitwig cult is growing now too.
even synth discussions now get "the grid" thrown at them no matter what the question.
If anyone thinks that "the grid" is not the correct answer, then they probably asked the wrong question.

Forgotten wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:18 pm
vurt wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:21 pm although, to be fair to "the not so secretive cult of reaper" the bitwig cult is growing now too.
If anyone thinks that "the grid" is not the correct answer, then they probably asked the wrong question.
who was that techno band that did swamp thing?

:o
omg! you're right!

crimsonwarlock wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:52 pm
AnX wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:24 am
in pro studios :wink:
Wrong :D
nope

never seen a single pro studio that uses it, and ive been to alot

alot is not aword.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”