How to prevent overdrive

How to make that sound...
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Unaspected wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:30 pm
Mushy Mushy wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:13 pm
TryThisForExample wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:10 pm Sorry i made a mistake, i wanted to prevent overlap of the same frequencies in different samples playing the same Time, just like a sidechain on this frequency when its going to lap, keeping it at normal Level
So I was right then. Just saying :D
Using psychic powers is cheating. :P
:clown:
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Ok, So im trying to create dynamic notch for specific frequencies :idea:

Watch Dan Worral’s YouTube video on ProQ 3.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

What are the sounds? If they're transients (ie snare+clap), you can just clip it and not worry about it. If it's sustained, which one is more important and do both sounds sustain for the same length of time (if the latter, given the range we're talking about, are you trying to create the boxiest possible mix of Living in a Box?)

Context is everything.

TryThisForExample wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:10 pm Sorry i made a mistake, i wanted to prevent overlap of the same frequencies in different samples playing the same Time, just like a sidechain on this frequency when its going to lap, keeping it at normal Level
TryThisForExample wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:41 pm Ok, So im trying to create dynamic notch for specific frequencies :idea:
Using the "sidechain" analogy: note 2 will then suppress (part of) note 1? But to what extend?

Not sure what you are trying to achieve is feasible. Most sounds (except pure sines) consist of many partials (many frequencies). Not just the note (e.g. A=440 Hz). Generally: the "brighter" the sound, the more higher frequency partials. These partials can have all sorts of frequencies (generally multiples of the root/note frequency), amplitudes (generally diminishing upwards) and phases. Even notes that are widely separated (e.g. by more then an octave) can (and will) still interfere. And often at multiple points in the spectrum.

How to determine and implement the necessary dynamic notches (frequency, width, depth)?

Since you are talking "level". This is the sum of all partials, but generally heavily determined by the highest amplitude partial(s). Generally mostly the first or first few. So, often this is used to determine frequency and bandwidth.

Complicating things further...the overall loudness of a sound (not same as level) is also determined by the frequency content. The human ear is more sensitive to mid range frequencies.

All and all....keeping it all at "normal level" is getting quite academic.

But...maybe (probably) it is more a matter of exactly defining your problem domain. And finding matching and feasible options in the solution domain.

Return to “Sound Design”