One Synth Challenge #125: T-Force Alpha Plus 2 (exponent1 Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Cool!!

I needed that, there are some baobabs growing in my brain. :ud:

Ok everyone - I need to air this track now to get any feedback on what I can improve (other than writing something completely different!). It's a rather soundtrack/chillout type of track - anticipating the many trance-like tracks which will probably pop up over the next week.

I hope you all like it and appreciate the many hours of composition and playing/programming which has gone into this track. Lots of fine detail buried in there for you to hear!

Thanks to TheNeverScene for guidance with the shaker sound which interacts with the "choked hats".

DAW: Reaper

Track Details:
14 * T-Force
14 * ReaEQ
8 * JS MIDI Note Filter
4 * Oril River
4 * LFX-1310 (autopanner)
3 * Pecheneg Tremolo
1 * Dub Delay - TAL
1 * Twin Delay
1 * Bass Professor Mark II
4 * TDR Kotelnikov

Master:
TDR VOS SlickEQ
Ferric TDS
Voxengo MSED
Limiter No.6

Metering:
SPAN
YouLean Loudness Meter 2 (free)

Stats:
Integrated LUFS: 13.6
DR: 10

Please enjoy.

dB

https://soundcloud.com/doctorbob/doctor ... alpha-plus
Last edited by doctorbob on Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:25 pm, edited 5 times in total.

doctorbob wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:02 pmOk everyone - I need to air this track now to get any feedback on what I can improve (other than writing something completely different!).
So first I like the track and theme. There are also nice sounds/instruments there. It have kind of vibe of 80s soundtrack movie :tu: . I have really enjoyed it.

Now regarding mix. Span shows that you have removed almost everything starting at 16kHZ and up. Well my ears miss those frequencies. Especially the flute that reside somewhere between 800 and 1kHz. Hard to see how much harmonics it have based from what I see in span but it look like there is almost none. Flute sounds muddy to me and it breaks tonal balance of mix. There is nice stage but because of the flute nature, even it is positioned to right, it almost sounds it comes from center because of missing higher frequencies. On left side you have this plucked arp that have clear sound so it's position is more distinct compared to that flute.

Like the bass sound. Kick for me doesn't fit here (but it is just personal preference what I like not how it really should sounds). I would make it more soft to just support that bass but not to stick too much out. Kind of like kick from brush kit that just support double bass.

Now you just posted track have Integrated LUFS: 14.7 but I can see -12,8 LUFS on downloaded wav. I use RX to check statistics but even Youlean loudness meter show similar numbers to me.

Thanks @TrojakEW. I have softened the kick(s) a little (3 different ones). I have brought back those HF's - hope it sounds better in terms of harmonics.

Track is now -16.2 LUFS (I uploaded a version pushed by 2 db! My bad). And DR 10 from TT Dynamic Range Meter.

I have redone the flute sound programming a little. It is actually 2 sounds, one panned L and another panned R. The right side is the flute-like sound, the left is a pluck. Both have the same centre panned reverb (with width of course). The left pluck also feeds a dub-delay to propagate the initial sound from L to R, which make the flute appear overall to the Right. Maybe the reverb is too strong and is pulling some freqs to the centre?

Anyway, new version up to listen?

Thanks again for the notes.

dB

doctorbob wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:39 pmAnyway, new version up to listen?
For me it is definitely better. Still some parts where flute is still muddy (1:41:53 - 1:42:46 for example) and creates some resonating "ugly" sound. Stage is more audible and even shaker is more "live" now.

Don't forget that all I said is just my opinion and it doesn't mean that it should be this way. :P

Thanks again. I sort of know what you mean about the lead sound. It's competing with a pair of pads, and although I have made freq "room" in the spectrum for it by eq-ing the pads and the bass, I think it's partly due to the very bright plucked arps which make the leads seem a little buried in the mix at times. I don't think I want to lose the sparkle of those lovely arps, but have made the leads a little brighter and taken a little db off the pads and the arps. (Recent edit 16:55 gmt). I think the sound of the "flute" is improved in the areas you mention.

I am reasonably happy with how it sounds now and don't really want to lose the gentle feel as well. I think the modified kicks are much better btw!

So, no more tweaks unless there's a really good reason I think.

dB

Thank you all for this great forum chain and challenge! I found this month's synth quite challenging and I tried to play it outside it's 'natural comfort zone' . This was great opportunity to learn more of sound design with limited means.

Here is my submission - I hope you like it!:
DAW: Bitwig
-12 instances of T-Force Alpha Plus
-Native Bitwig dynamic, delay and reverb effects were used to enhance the sound.
-In the master channel there is touch of multiband compression (OTT).

https://soundcloud.com/aaltodoc/dartele ... orce-alpha

I'm in!
this was simultaneously a fun synth to make sounds on and an awful synth to make songs on.

https://soundcloud.com/anotherbenjamin/ ... n-abrasion

made in REAPER 5.80 with
26 instances of T-Force Alpha Plus 2
17 instances of ReaJS (running Octarone Key Tuner)
1 JS MIDI Program/BankSwitch
13 ReaEQ
5 Airwindows Purest Gain
4 ReaComp
4 GClip (to trim percussive peaks in the mix)
1 Dragonfly Hall Reverb
1 TDR VOS SlickEQ
1 JS Event Horizon Limiter/Clipper
1 Limiter No6
1 MLoudnessAnalyzer
1 MAnalyzer
at least 2 daw crashes
many gigabytes of memory munched
several track freezes and unfreezes to save RAM
no wrong notes :wink:

I look forward to hearing what T-Force inspired in others!
mostly here for the One Synth Challenge
you can hear some of my newest music at: https://wrenharmonic.bandcamp.com/ or https://www.youtube.com/@wrenharmonic

Hey guys!

It was a real struggle finishing this track due the CPU spikes and gluttonous RAM consumption of this plugin. But finally, managed to put together an arrangement and finish this track. So here's my submission for KVR OSC #125 using T-Force Alpha 2. I hope you enjoy it!

https://soundcloud.com/theexponent/alphaforce

DAW: Reaper
T-Force Alpha 2 : 22 instances
Native DAW FX: ReaComp, JS: Digital Drum Compressor, JS: MDA Pseudo Stereo, JS: Transient Controller, JS: Waveshaping Distortion
3rd Party FX: Dragonfly Room Reverb, Bark of Dog 2, OTT, Nasty DLA, Boogex, Wider, Dub Delay 4
Mastering: JS: DC Filter, TDR Slick EQ, TDR Kotelnikov, TDR Nova, Ozone Imager, Unlimited
Metering: SPAN, Youlean Loudness Meter 2

Just barely an entry. One take improv. Really just didn't want the 60 or so month streak to stop. I had CPU spikes and preset saving issues. Anyway...

https://soundcloud.com/hennessey/july-2019-osc

One instance in PC Reaper with Tab Dub Relay and Reverb 4.

FL Studio 20.5
Stock plugins.
https://soundcloud.com/soundpeaks/osc-125-id

PS: how do you feel about CPU usage an optimization of this plugin, guys? I have 80% CPU at 6-8 instances including Patchers so I did a lot of mixdowns. IDK if it my PC or FL but I am pretty sure this would run much smoother in Cubase. I just wanted to make this track in FL. First time using it so far. It's great for sound design. Also I like the plugin, although its FM part is confusing to me (what goes where). But I've discovered that you can make pretty dope snares in it.
Last edited by soundpeaks on Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

soundpeaks wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:02 pmPS: how do you feel about CPU usage an optimization of this plugin, guys? I have 80% CPU at 6-8 instances including Patchers so I did a lot of mixdowns.
For me (on i7-4790 16gb ram) in FL Studio 20.0.5 with 13 instances + 11 automations clips max 68% CPU load with FL ASIO 512smp buffer. Average 40 - 50% CPU load with threaded processing on. Only once hit the peak 68%. Disabled threaded processing and got instant 100% CPU load. :D

dartelec and other friends: your submission isn't downloadable, it is against to rules

Wow, I have just noticed that the last OSC that I have participated in was OSC 90 so it's been quite a while. This month I found some time to work a bit on a track despite T-Force Alpha 2 being quite stubborn. I wonder if I have downloaded a debug build. :hihi: The opening time of the project grew significantly with each instance that was added.

As usual I came up with an A and a B part and some four-on-the-floor drums. 8) Guess, I've really got to work on song structures. The original track had an instance of TAL Flanger on the noise at the beginning and the end which sounded much nicer than modulating the built-in phaser. However, then I read the rules again and they seem to be quite strict with regards to modulation. In case a flanger is allowed on noise I would reupload.

https://soundcloud.com/blitbit/blitbit-ab-solute-force

Looking forward to listening to all the other tracks. :)

Technical details

Title: AB-solute Force
BPM: 128

DAW: REAPER v5.981
16 Tracks / Folders

Instrument: T-Force Alpha Plus 2: 11 instances

Effects:
ReaEQ: 10
TDR Kotelnikov: 6
Saturation Knob: 3
Limiter No.6: 2
ReaComp (REAPER): 1