Iris 2 is painfully slow loading patches

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I just purchased Iris 2 and I'm having a bad experience. It takes an extremely long time to load patches. I have no issue loading .wav files, but switching between patches takes upward of 20 seconds. This happens on standalone mode as well.

The plugin runs fine when the patch is loaded. It seems just changing patches takes forever.

I understand Iris 2 is very CPU hungry. However, I have a custom built PC with the following specs:

Windows 10
CPU i7 4790K (overclocked)
RAM 32Gs
MSI Gaming 7 motherboard
Integrated graphics card
250 Gig SSD drive for the OS
1TB internal drives at 7200rpm for VST content and sample content
Ableton Live 10.1

I've lowered my buffer rate and performed every troubleshooting step I can think of to make it work. My CPU runs at or around 25% on max load.

I have absolutely no problem running any other CPU hungry plugins with many other apps and windows running at the same time.

I'm hoping there is a trick in Windows that I'm overlooking.

I appreciate your help!
Last edited by Narz on Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

I have contacted support, btw, and I am waiting for a response.

First thing I would do in that case is reinstall. Iris 2 runs between 7-11% on my systems and all but the huge raw samples imported from my Sony load quickly.

I have my samples loaded on a old slow external drive and it doesn’t even take that long. Does the same issue occur when you switch to a different DAW?
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

I re-installed it and that didn't change anything. I have tried installing the library on my OS drive and another internal 7200rpm drive.

It's very strange. The plugin only causes somewhat of a hit on my CPU but nothing major. Maybe 25% total CPU usage when loading patches. It's only when loading patches in Iris 2. Loading WAV files works fine. My PC is made for performance so I'm at a loss.

I've even been researching graphics issues but that doesn't seem likely either. No other plugins have this issue. I have large Kontakt libraries installed on the secondary drive as well.

What s your version of windows 10 ? Iris 2 has always been a little slow changing patches and I suppose it will be worst with latest revisions of windows 10 .

You can download procmon to analyse what’s happening @ loading patches

lxegs wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:33 pm What s your version of windows 10 ? Iris 2 has always been a little slow changing patches and I suppose it will be worst with latest revisions of windows 10 .

You can download procmon to analyse what’s happening @ loading patches
It's not at all slow on my Mac, so maybe it is Windows related

It's not Windows related. It works fine on mine.

Hmm, maybe it has to do with the latest Ableton Live version. I have a number of plugins bogging down on me, crashing--on my old, wimpy computer, mind you (Biotek, MSoundFactory, Granulizer 2 have crashed multiple times, and Iris 2 is quirky and/or slow at times--but not consistently).
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

I was gonna buy this in a recent deal but the CPU hit was ridiculous. Seemed impressive otherwise.

Too bad you're having issues. Iris 2 is a really cool synth, though I have to admit I've mostly played with the presets so far. Patches load in under a second here using Studio One 4.5, Windows 10, Ryzen 1800X CPU, 16 GB RAM and a 500 GB 850 Evo SSD.

lotus2035 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:26 pm I was gonna buy this in a recent deal but the CPU hit was ridiculous. Seemed impressive otherwise.
Iris is one of the coolest synths ever made, and one of the worst supported. I'm not even sure they shipped a single bug fix since the release. They just drop it on sale every few months and milk it for what they can get out of it.

dangayle wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:22 pm
lotus2035 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:26 pm I was gonna buy this in a recent deal but the CPU hit was ridiculous. Seemed impressive otherwise.
Iris is one of the coolest synths ever made, and one of the worst supported. I'm not even sure they shipped a single bug fix since the release. They just drop it on sale every few months and milk it for what they can get out of it.
For $29 I can live with the bugs though. To be honest I haven't really seen any myself though.

You caught that "Half" sale? I also picked up Iris 2 and Im on a mac and I have the slow load time. It takes a good 7-10 seconds to load a patch. However I have the same issue with vocal synth and Studder edit. Any change of a preset gives me a beachball for a few a seconds. All things izotope suffer from it.
Also in Ableton. Haven't tried it in another daw but can.

Forgotten wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:27 pm
dangayle wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:22 pm
For $29 I can live with the bugs though. To be honest I haven't really seen any myself though.

I now agree with both of you. I got it for $29, so I'm just a little disappointed I can't fit it into my workflow.

Support has given me no help. They suggested I re-install it. I can't imagine anybody not trying that first. Maybe they'll surprise me.

Return to “Instruments”