IK Multimedia releases MODO DRUM

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
MODO DRUM

I have Modo Bass, this should be interesting

Burillo wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:31 am the modeling of the positioning for the snare is impressive. the hihats are meh IMO.
This is why I think that having some ability to route a stereo pair into the Modo drum plugin makes sense to me as a feature request. Most of us have multiple drum libraries and if we could bring in those other libraries (with dry settings) so that they are routed through this plugin and processed through their reverbs/effects we could replace or augment some of the sounds in Modo as we saw fit. You'd need a bit of midi work in your editor to route to both plugins but that is doable.

Cymbal sounds in particular have people collecting special sound packs and libraries and if you otherwise like what you are hearing with Modo Drums you could replace what you felt was lacking.

Another option would be an effect only Modo Drum plugin that had the same effect engine that we could slap on an insert to put a 3rd party drum engine into the same acoustical space.

I am not sure if I am explaining this well or not.

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:08 pm New video:

https://youtu.be/mOnSbpzTs9M
"Yawn". Nothing new or unique. Been possible for years with other drum plugins. Something every user expect so why even bother doing a video about it?

Ryan_IK wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:19 pm Another one! This one is a must watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuQuHSo ... e=youtu.be
But still if you use midi loops. or modify them, or create your own with the mouse you still need to work on the velocity to make it sound more real. No round robin or humanize will ever be enough. Many complain hihat and cymbals reveal it's not real drums. True but the numer one reason is because most users don't work on velocity or enough on the whole drum packet.

Wasn't a yawn for me, not by a long shot. It wasn't clear prior to the video how Modo Drums integrated with electronic drum triggers. It looks straight forward enough and if that puts you to sleep so be it. It is essential functionality for me that really hadn't been explained prior to the clip. I really appreciate those videos Peter.

Daimonicon wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:07 pm

But still if you use midi loops. or modify them, or create your own with the mouse you still need to work on the velocity to make it sound more real. No round robin or humanize will ever be enough. Many complain hihat and cymbals reveal it's not real drums. True but the numer one reason is because most users don't work on velocity or enough on the whole drum packet.
I'm not convinced you watched any part of the video. It'll be interesting to see how Modo Drum works in practice but, hihats aside, this is a bit different to just mousing around with velocity on painted-in parts. The demonstration was all done with an e-drum kit, for starters.

Gamma-UT wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:06 pm
Daimonicon wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:07 pm

I'm not convinced you watched any part of the video. It'll be interesting to see how Modo Drum works in practice but, hihats aside, this is a bit different to just mousing around with velocity on painted-in parts. The demonstration was all done with an e-drum kit, for starters.
Keep your accusations for your self. You don't know nothing you a-e(figure it out yourself if you can). Most drum plugins users are not drummers or use e-drums. But you didn't know that did you?

Daimonicon wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:17 pm
Gamma-UT wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:06 pm I'm not convinced you watched any part of the video. It'll be interesting to see how Modo Drum works in practice but, hihats aside, this is a bit different to just mousing around with velocity on painted-in parts. The demonstration was all done with an e-drum kit, for starters.
Keep your accusations for your self. You don't know nothing you a-e(figure it out yourself if you can). Most drum plugins users are not drummers or use e-drums. But you didn't know that did you?
The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

Scotty wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:49 pm Wasn't a yawn for me, not by a long shot. It wasn't clear prior to the video how Modo Drums integrated with electronic drum triggers. It looks straight forward enough and if that puts you to sleep so be it. It is essential functionality for me that really hadn't been explained prior to the clip. I really appreciate those videos Peter.
Thanks. It was one of the most requested topics from users. Obviously not every one, but we do have five short videos in that series, lots of information on our site, and MODO DRUM itself will be out soon enough.

For those that feel MODO DRUM isn't offering things that other drum plugins do, I heard this same claim on another forum and came up with this in a couple of minutes:
Quickly this is what I come up with (we've been in the business for over two decades, we most certainly analyze what's out there and don't waste our time and money if we don't expect to meet or exceed what's in the market):
  • More included kits than most of the base packages of products we compared against.
  • Smaller disk footprint and memory usage than most
  • More effects than most, and derived directly from world-class products (T-RackS and AmpliTube)
  • Convolution reverb included vs all but one we compared to
  • More maximum kit pieces in a kit than all but one
  • Shell customization which many don't have and MODO DRUM is very deep customization overall, not just shell
  • Interaction between kit pieces: Some don't have it at all, MODO DRUM does and is part of the deeply realistic customization available
  • Some don't have humanization whereas MODO DRUM does
  • Some don't have resizable GUIs but MODO DRUM does
  • Infinite velocity layers and round robin? None we looked at had those, MODO DRUM does
  • Fastest kit loading in the west goes to MODO DRUM dominates the high noon showdown :)
  • Real tuning modeling based on physical modeling characteristics? Only MODO DRUM
  • Interaction between drumheads modeled for most realism? Only MODO DRUM
  • No limitations of mic positioning or type? Again, only MODO DRUM.
  • MODO DRUM has selectable beat area on the heads, while offering the width, typology and materials modeling unlike others
  • Kick beater typology and drum stick type modeling? MODO DRUM appears alone here
There may be an outlier somewhere but against the major players that I'm sure are what most are thinking of, MODO DRUM more than competes.

MODO DRUM does for drums what MODO BASS does for basses and for that reason alone is enough to recommend.

Hopefully the guitars will come and we will have a virtual rock band completely in-the-box!
Little Black Dog - 2008-Present

electric guitars i think are impossible to imitate.. there are so much variables.. they always sound artificial..

Well I remember someone pointing out back around when Modo bass came out that ik had filed patents for Modo bass, Modo drums and Modo guitars. Its probably being done in order of difficulty but I’m sure the guitars are very doable. I just hope they don’t release guitars without MPE capability as that would make me stay with kontakt/Omnisphere for guitars.

benjamind wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:46 pm MODO DRUM does for drums what MODO BASS does for basses and for that reason alone is enough to recommend.

Hopefully the guitars will come and we will have a virtual rock band completely in-the-box!
My thinking as well. So very impressed with MODO Bass since it's release that I use it on most tracks, and if Drums is anywhere near as good...
Guess I'll find out soon as I've pre-ordered.

love modo bass...but when i compare their solo audio drum demos with the drum solo demos from superior drummer i am not sure...
like the concept and mayby you can really tweak the sound of snares, toms....endless but the drum solo demos on their ik webside are okay but sometimes terrible....
if you REALLY can form snare and kick sounds like you wanna have them then i could be a great instrument ...
Last edited by musicjunk on Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

ftech wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:04 am Hopefully the guitars will come and we will have a virtual rock band completely in-the-box!
its already there in the box guiatars from orange tree samples for example outthere, superior drummer 3....:)

Return to “Instruments”