IK Multimedia releases MODO DRUM

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
MODO DRUM

The issue with the hats seems to be being misconstrued. There are 3 degrees of open from the note: open, 1/2, and close as it was put to us in thread. Yes, 3 tip and 3 shank, I don't think this was missed. In addition to 'tight tip', pedal, and I suppose pedal splash.

Then there is some total variability via CC, which would be quite novel.
Normally, in addition to what comes to 3 zones in the usual CC paradigm there are 1/4 and 3/4 tip and shank, 5 zones.
The complaint regards 3 vs 5 shades of open/close.

I don't get how there would be 3 the one way and infinite shading this other way. Via CC, with no actual pedal, supposing continuous control, here are 128 values in the editor; to be divvied up how, exactly? Total mystery.

With articulation by note-on there are 3 tip and 3 shank, period. I suppose I'd have to find out demoing it.

Is there Tom Damping?
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

electro wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:17 pm Is there Tom Damping?
Yes. Check out the video posted previously https://youtu.be/QvwxXtSkIxU for tom damping in action (and so you can hear) and the MODO DRUM product page that shows damping on toms. Thanks!

So can the 9 articulations be mapped to midi notes on a keyboard ?
Ryan_IK wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:28 pm
Burillo wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:46 pm i too hoped so, but they don't. the hihats are sampled, and there are three of them (seriously? three hihats?). the only "innovation" IK has added is hiding most of the articulations behind a variable CC, so in terms of MIDI notes you actually get closed/semi-open/open for tip and shank, and everything else (by the way, what? IK won't tell...) is only available through a CC. this will make programming drums not with a V-Drum module a chore.
The hi-hats don't only offer three sounds for each hi-hat, I think there was some confusion there. The hi-hats will offer 9 Articulations each. The foot-pedal is both controllable via MIDI CC and MIDI Note On/Off messages, so both V-Drum and MIDI composers should have no issues creating realistic performances.

triggerthehorizon wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:06 am I would like to hear some dryer sound demos than what is currently available. I would like to hear the drums without any artificial room or reverb added in
Seconded.

triggerthehorizon wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:32 pm So can the 9 articulations be mapped to midi notes on a keyboard ?
Ryan_IK wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:28 pm
Burillo wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:46 pm i too hoped so, but they don't. the hihats are sampled, and there are three of them (seriously? three hihats?). the only "innovation" IK has added is hiding most of the articulations behind a variable CC, so in terms of MIDI notes you actually get closed/semi-open/open for tip and shank, and everything else (by the way, what? IK won't tell...) is only available through a CC. this will make programming drums not with a V-Drum module a chore.
The hi-hats don't only offer three sounds for each hi-hat, I think there was some confusion there. The hi-hats will offer 9 Articulations each. The foot-pedal is both controllable via MIDI CC and MIDI Note On/Off messages, so both V-Drum and MIDI composers should have no issues creating realistic performances.
Ryan is triple-checking to make sure he gets you the correct info on this question.

We have another short video on something people haven't really talked about as much as I might have expected, since there is a great Play Style section that allows you control or the drummer performance in addition to the tonal control elaborated in the previous short video.

https://youtu.be/WaYD4497aWA

One again the sound is drowned in fx, like they are trying to hide something 🤔
___The Jepptunes___
"Accept All the Good"

Sound design for SQ8L and Alchemy

I ordered my copy. I like a lot of the stuff IK makes. I don’t know if this will dethrone BFD3 as my go to plugin, probably not but I am curious to know where this technology is going and satisfying my curiosity is worth $150.

olepro wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:11 pm One again the sound is drowned in fx, like they are trying to hide something 🤔
I doubt they are trying to hide something. I think it is simply a stylistic decision. However, I like dry drums and I want to hear these without the fx as well

triggerthehorizon wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:26 pm I ordered my copy. I like a lot of the stuff IK makes. I don’t know if this will dethrone BFD3 as my go to plugin, probably not but I am curious to know where this technology is going and satisfying my curiosity is worth $150.
I'm with you there. There is enough potential here that my curiosity alone is going to make this one hard to resist. I have been wanting an acoustic physically modeled drum kit plugin since the first time I tweaked the shell thickness on a Roland TD drum kit years ago.

jancivil wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:54 pm Then there is some total variability via CC, which would be quite novel.
Normally, in addition to what comes to 3 zones in the usual CC paradigm there are 1/4 and 3/4 tip and shank, 5 zones.
The complaint regards 3 vs 5 shades of open/close.

I don't get how there would be 3 the one way and infinite shading this other way. Via CC, with no actual pedal, supposing continuous control, here are 128 values in the editor; to be divvied up how, exactly? Total mystery.
Hi Jan,
This is more or less how BFD and Toontrack SD do it. Their kits are huge with very large sample sets and the hats are sampled at many level of loudness and many levels of openness (dozens in some cases) - too many to be directly directly addressable by MIDI notes (the GM style MIDI mapping is still there for a few degrees of openness but not the full range).

There is a MIDI CC for hat openness which combines with the note on values and the degrees of openness are spread across the CC value spectrum - you can actually tweak the boundaries in some of the more advanced examples of this kind of drum sampler.

In practical terms, playing BFD/SD from a Roland TD style electronic kit via MIDI, the CC value for hat openness received by BFD/SD follows the output from hat pedal via your edrum kit brain and the note on triggered by hits on the hat drumpad is mapped to trigger the hat samples in BFD/SD. So, you can keep hitting the hat with a stick while progressively opening the hats with the pedal and hear the sampled hat responding (hopefully) just like a real example would - with many degrees of openness and of course variation according to A) how hard you hit and B) with what part of the stick you use etc.

MODO drums is replicating what the higher end TD units (TD-20, 30 and now 50) do in software and then some. The top end TD kits have some modeling style controls on your snare for example but these are tweaks/processing of samples rather than PM per se.

I imagine so. Because of the deep sampling of what I use, 5 zones tends to be plenty. In BFD it's tweaking the boundaries of 5 zones in the editor, meaning the goal is not an abstraction of all possible degrees of the aperture, it's specific use cases in a created performance. One of the hats in Evil Drums has for instance closed shank and 1/4 shank both with more samples than there are CC values. So whatever the brain of the controller is doing to make a note on more than a note-on (here one supposes there is something resembling 137 layers of 1/4 shank, ignoring 'CC4' [which I find useful for a certain use case albeit not in the abstract]), it doesn't have the same thing to work with necessarily.

So while I absolutely grok that, via velocity layers, there are more than 3 degrees of openness, I still find 'the full range' hard to get my head around for a CC lane in a piano roll paradigm "with no actual pedal". Probably pure trial and error. But thanks.

triggerthehorizon wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:27 pm
olepro wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:11 pm One again the sound is drowned in fx, like they are trying to hide something 🤔
I doubt they are trying to hide something. I think it is simply a stylistic decision. However, I like dry drums and I want to hear these without the fx as well
Check out this new video, this should help get you a better idea of the sounds offered without FX.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaYD449 ... e=youtu.be
Make sure to keep an eye out on the IK Multimedia web site for future news and promotions!

Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter!

Wow, the snares sound a lot more convincing in the second vid.

Return to “Instruments”