Audio I/O advice Focusrite/Steinberg/maybe small mixer?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

vurt wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:42 pm dont do reaper :o
it's a cult man
runaway!
:hihi:
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

A&H ZED series are worth a look. There are FX versions available, and they all include a USB Audio Interface.

thecontrolcentre wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:07 pm A&H ZED series are worth a look. There are FX versions available, and they all include a USB Audio Interface.
I've seen some Zeds for sale, and definitely they piqued my interest...A&H always used to be good mixers. I didn't spot any line outs though...looked like they just had those annoying pro 3pin outs. I need to be resolutely amateur and put my outs into my beloved old hifi amp that is nigh-on vintage and not recommended for professional use, but is a beautiful neutral sound, only 2 knobs for go and go louder, decked out in glorious gold and silver (why does pro gear always have to be black...we get everything in f###ing black here in black ol' NZ already, socks - black, undies - black, cars - black, rugby team - black, cricket team - black, traffic lights - black...well, they would if they could get away with it :ud: )
Anyway, are there proper old fashioned line outs hidden on the back somewhere? Must admit, would prefer A&H to Behringer, and the prices look similar.

crimsonwarlock wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:35 pm Use your fastest port for audio, MIDI doesn't need any real bandwidth.

If you have always worked with Cubase, I'd stick with that. Still have my Atari Mega 1 together with a Steinberg Midex and Cubase..... somewhere. Not sure if the disks would still load though :-D
Thanks. Aaaah, Cubase on Atari - it used to be an amazing midi tool. I used to be able to control synths and code editors in sysex and all kinds of great midi generators. I think I used to dream in hexadecimal but could barely manage to put my underpants on the right way round, funny old world back then. Seems like they lost a lot of midi over the years. Can't say I miss it in all honesty though...not when we have so much audio and other great stuff now. You could go downstairs and read the Guardian, have a crap, shave and a cuppa while the Atari was loading up. :hihi:

vurt wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:42 pm dont do reaper :o
it's a cult man
runaway!
My, how things haven't changed in the past few years. I take it that DAW wars still happen? Who are the easiest to wind up? ( Not that I would, of course, oh no...)

It's a good name for a cult though. "Reaper" sounds full of malign intent. Unlike Cubase and Logic...a bit to Borg like, both of them. Borg-like is ok if they look like 7 of 9, but I'd hardly call Steinberg pneumatic. And Logic...well, Data the android wasn't exactly sex on metal legs either.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”