One Synth Challenge #124: MSoundFactory by MeldaProduction (Schiing Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Saffran wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:37 am This is too difficult for me.
These synths with so much editing alternatives would be much nicer for beginners with a version that uses random generators.
Just global parameters to adjust, and a random button, on the default window and then a second window with all the sources listed with a checkbox. Those sources with a check mark use the random generator and those without use the default or latest setting.
Yes, much of the resulting sounds would sound terrible but you just push the random button until you get something usable. Then you can save it as a patch.
There is a random button on this synth for everything.

Well...it would be nice to fool yourself that it was you who found that patch.
And feeling proud that you checked the right boxes. :D

Saffran wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:01 am Well...it would be nice to fool yourself that it was you who found that patch.
If I understand you correctly, Saffran, you're missing a generator that is completely random - unlike the "smart randomization" on the MSoundFactory?
All Ted Mountainé's Songs on Spotify | Soundcloud | Twitter | His Latest Videos
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

schiing wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:09 am
Saffran wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:01 am Well...it would be nice to fool yourself that it was you who found that patch.
If I understand you correctly, Saffron, you're missing a generator that is completely random - unlike the "smart randomization" on the MSoundFactory?
Not really. I suspect that all synths that have a random button don't make a random number for every source available.
Smart randomization probably mean that the developer avoids some sources because it produces awful gibberish sounds most of the time. What if it produced the most beautiful sound you ever heard the 47th time you randomized?
With checkboxes it is up to the user to decide what sources to randomize.

Ah, checkboxes - now I get it, sorry. It would be an awful lot of checkboxes on this synth, though!!

Here's Melda's explanation: "The smart randomization algorithm wisely selects good sounding combinations of parameters. It can even randomize modulators for you. And if that\'s too much, you can just hold ctrl and MSoundFactory will just slightly modify existing settings."

When I tested the randomization I think that most of the patches ended up in tune - no wild fm stuff or wobbly feedback and ring modulation. So I guess that's part of what they mean with a "good sounding combinations of parameters" :)
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

The developer could do group settings for the checkboxes and then supply some groups with marked checkboxes that is recommended for producing "nice" sounds when randomized.

Saffran wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:36 am The developer could do group settings for the checkboxes and then supply some groups with marked checkboxes that is recommended for producing "nice" sounds when randomized.
I can see how that could be useful - it would be a nice addition, for sure.

Still, I have to say that working with the synth I was totally impressed by the randomization options on every single generator and effect. So in that respect, I think they've gone above and beyond already!

If you use a preset that has a Device/Muti-parameters set up then you can randomize the controls on the devise/easy screen.

Setting up the multi-parameters is surprisingly easy. I did set up an easy screen for a simple FM device that was going into a resonator, I set it up to control the timbre from one place with less knobs.

Once you set up an easy screen you can control how the randomization acts for it. You can set the Randomizable checkbox in the Multiparameter window, and also set up the value ranges and default value.

The Chandler Guitar channel has some videos on using the Melda UI to setup the easy screen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSeIL2D ... 8Y&index=3

Of course! That's a smart solution, Ranoka.

That device functionality is brilliant - it's like this synth has a thousand different synths hidden inside of it!

In addition, setting a multiparam to be "lockable" will (i think) give it a button to prevent randomization on the easy screen.
So you actually can control which things get randomized each time you roll the dice!
mostly here for the One Synth Challenge
you can hear some of my newest music at: https://wrenharmonic.bandcamp.com/ or https://www.youtube.com/@wrenharmonic

MSF*24
Console6buss&channel, wgdoffset, cstrip,dragonfly reverb, booteq, nova67p, slax, loudmax,ditherbox, youlean, dimension plus, ReaEq, rothair, block fish, minus delay, multianalyzer.

Here it is, DR8 so smashed it again :D

https://soundcloud.com/eauson/eauson-ms ... ry-kvr-osc
Last edited by Eauson on Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

Ok, as promised a 45bpm slow jazz track featuring a cool laid back trumpeter (with mute!), and an even cooler saxophonist who just had to get in on the act. The guy playing the Hammond enjoyed the gig along with the pianist. The bass player just stood in the shadows and played the coolest slow jazz bass ever! The drummer was just, well, what can I say, the coolest ever hitting the kit in all the right places now and then!

Please pour a drink, lower the lights, and chill out to the cool laid back jazz.

DAW: Reaper
Track Details:

18 * MSoundFactory
20 * ReaEQ
3 * OrilRiver
2 * TAL Reverb II
1 * Bass Professor Mark 2
1 * TDR Kotelnikov
7 * JS MIDI Note Filter

Master
TDR VOS SlickEQ
Ferric TDS
Voxengo MSED
LoudMax

Metering
SPAN
Youlean Loudness Meter 2 Free

Integrated LUFS -23.0
DR: 12

Ideally download and listen to the original WAV file from here
https://www.dropbox.com/s/r8xussiss9jbv ... 2.wav?dl=1

or, for those with less bandwidth, a 320k mp3 file is here https://www.dropbox.com/s/rbtl3mzn82ohw ... 2.mp3?dl=1

Please enjoy.

https://soundcloud.com/doctorbob/doctor ... undfactory
Last edited by doctorbob on Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lovely total :phones: :band2:, I wish I can stay with this band on stage! chapeau!

Well, as much as I want to enter this month (really love MSF) I'm finding I just don't have the time. Between my father in law's passing, settling the estate, my responsibilities at church as treasurer and with the pastor away and my having to cover for him, there is just no way I'm going to get a track finished in time.

But I am looking forward to hearing what everybody comes up with and voting this month.

Good luck to everybody.

That's a shame Steven, would have liked to hear a new track from you given that you really like MSF! So many possibilities with it - you could spend a lifetime designing and tweaking sounds!

Condolences wrt your father-in-law. I do know how much time it takes to sort estates! I lost my dad in 1981 - sadly nowadays he could have been saved with heart surgery. :(

Anyway, hope you get to listen to the tracks - I expect there will be some stunning ones to come yet!

dB

Return to “Instruments”