Unfiltered Audio Lion

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Smapti wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:47 pm I don't have out-of-tune behavior when starting from scratch. Is it possible that you're loading a preset that uses one of the alternate tunings? There are lots of alternate tunings in Lion, so that could make things sound "off" if you don't realize it's turned on.
I don't think there's anything wrong with Lion. It's preset design, and in the simplest form it's due to oddly tuned oscillators. Check Doby Mick where the osc are set at -4 & -2 semitones.

Or My Man Tomita, which is a great preset, but the OSC tuning is set to +9ST and transpose set to +2.3 ST.
Last edited by db3 on Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smapti wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:47 pm
sureno wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:55 am
db3 wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:40 am quite a few are semitones out of tune.
THIS!!!! i thought it was my hearing!!! But a lot of the presets didn’t sit right when I was auditioning them in context
I don't have out-of-tune behavior when starting from scratch. Is it possible that you're loading a preset that uses one of the alternate tunings? There are lots of alternate tunings in Lion, so that could make things sound "off" if you don't realize it's turned on.

As for presets - I don't think you get a good idea of Lion's capabilities by going through the presets, especially since many of them are CPU-hungry. It's better to just start with the init patch and play with the mixer modes & oscillator modes. Keep in mind that many of the modes are excellent for non-tonal sounds. If you want tonal EDM stuff then there are other instruments that do that sort of thing more easily. But if you want interesting experimental sounds that you can't get anywhere else, Lion is absolutely for you.

Some of the reactions I'm seeing from KVRians are odd to me. I understand if people prefer wavetable/analog-modeled synths. That's absolutely fine! What's odd, though, is that people who prefer that kind of synth are saying that Lion sounds awful, without recognizing that different people want different things in their instruments. I personally can't stand analog-modeled synths -- I find them incredibly boring -- but I'm not going to wander into a discussion of, say, Diva, and complain that it doesn't have the bitwise mixing capabilities that Lion does. Other people like analog modeling and that's fine! Unfortunately, though, there's a tendency here to assume that the thing you like is the ONLY thing that ANYONE should ever like.
Ah, but Lion is being sold as being the APEX of synths...so, my take on that is that we can at least expect a clean sine. Or is that too much to ask? Especially considering it's price point.

Rooooar! I'm digging this one. So much sound design depth within such a streamlined set of controls ("knobs") on the synth side. In my book that's the direction that needs the most exploring ATM in synth design. I love how LION takes the MI Braids/Plaits lessons forward: starting with a 3 timbre controls per OSC approach, and adding this novel sound design territory at the level of the mixer.

One issue that does stand out to me: the beast is CPU hungry to begin with, and many patches benefit a ton from oversampling (sometimes all the way to 8x.)
- I wonder if this could be helped in any significant way by allowing local oversampling for specific modules (e.g. the mixer, one of the oscilators, or the synth filter)?

One feature I'd be excited to see added: the ability to save/switch presets for only one part of LION without affecting the rest.
- IMO, especially for synth side modulation (since modulation of the Byome chain will vary depending on what's in the chain). One use case is sound design workflow with MPE controllers. I'm guessing it would have surprising workflow benefits in general too: it's like being able to swap sound generators/processors in a modular synth while keeping CVs the same. Modulation is such a big part of LION...
- Also perhaps: being able to load only the synth side of presets (without the Byome side). E.g. might help make the preset library a faster primer on how to work with LION's synth engine.

I'm not sure about this $99 price people are talking about. I own all the UA plugins and when I log into my PA account I only see the early discount anyone can get: $169. Where's the loyalty?
2020 iMac 27" 10 Core, OS 12.6.6, iConnectAudio2+, iConnectMidi4+, Novation SL MKIII, Push 2, Ableton Live, VCV Rack Pro 2, Bitwig Studio

krankyone wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:03 pm I'm not sure about this $99 price people are talking about. I own all the UA plugins and when I log into my PA account I only see the early discount anyone can get: $169. Where's the loyalty?
"Heavy Hitters" got a discount code from PA reducing the price to $99 ...

krankyone wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:03 pm I'm not sure about this $99 price people are talking about. I own all the UA plugins and when I log into my PA account I only see the early discount anyone can get: $169. Where's the loyalty?
I'm not a heavy hitter so I didn't get a discount (I own all of the other UA plugins too). However, the code LION-129-INTRO worked for me to bring it down to $129, which is a fair price imo.

thecontrolcentre wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:15 pm
"Heavy Hitters" got a discount code from PA reducing the price to $99 ...
Aka those who own 20 or more paid-for PA plugins and not necessarily anything from UA
Always Read the Manual!

anyone finding the output very loud for this plugin, in cubase im lowering the mixer down by 15+dB, seems even louder in bitwig.
just wondering
seems with the latest win 10 update this week all my levels are up the spout having to readjust everything but lion is still loud

tonymax wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:49 pm anyone finding the output very loud for this plugin, in cubase im lowering the mixer down by 15+dB, seems even louder in bitwig.
just wondering
seems with the latest win 10 update this week all my levels are up the spout having to readjust everything but lion is still loud
In my experience the cleanest level (and not that loud) is with the osc's @ 50% and the master gain at around -8dB. Not sure why they are pushing the levels so hard..

thecontrolcentre wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:15 pm "Heavy Hitters" got a discount code from PA reducing the price to $99 ...
Not true. I have well over 20 licenses, have received HH codes before, didn't get one for Lion. I contacted support and they said one wasn't generated for my account. That's loyalty for you.

yellowmix wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:48 pm
thecontrolcentre wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:15 pm "Heavy Hitters" got a discount code from PA reducing the price to $99 ...
Not true. I have well over 20 licenses, have received HH codes before, didn't get one for Lion. I contacted support and they said one wasn't generated for my account. That's loyalty for you.
That doesn't make what I posted untrue ... I'm not the only person who got the heavy hitter discount for LION.

thecontrolcentre wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:18 pm
That doesn't make what I posted untrue ... I'm not the only person who got the heavy hitter discount for LION.
Exactly. I am classed as a Heavy Hitter, but didn't receive a code for LION. Contacted support and less than a day later I had a HH code and a LION in my plugin folder.

:tu:

exmatproton wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:32 pm
tonymax wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:49 pm anyone finding the output very loud for this plugin, in cubase im lowering the mixer down by 15+dB, seems even louder in bitwig.
just wondering
In my experience the cleanest level (and not that loud) is with the osc's @ 50% and the master gain at around -8dB. Not sure why they are pushing the levels so hard..
i think because there is volume drop depending on which oscillators you're using and unison detune etc that they provided for lot's of volume range to allow for compensation??? perhaps.

ftech wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:35 pm
thecontrolcentre wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:18 pm
Exactly. I am classed as a Heavy Hitter, but didn't receive a code for LION. Contacted support and less than a day later I had a HH code and a LION in my plugin folder.
I'm classed as a Heavy Hitter and did not receive a code. Following contact with support, I still don't have a code. Explain that.

Return to “Instruments”