Multiband saturation - where to set the crossover points?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

kingozrecords wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:46 pm wide (3) until 250 diminishing until 650 thin until 5k, thickening to 18k, wide (sorta beyond) until diminishing again at 22. I prefer MS for my frequencies 250-6k so as to avoid phase, the rest conventional. for the treble interleaved, bass non.
I’m stupid. What do you mean by wide, diminishing, thin, thick.

perpetual3 wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:30 am
kingozrecords wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:46 pm wide (3) until 250 diminishing until 650 thin until 5k, thickening to 18k, wide (sorta beyond) until diminishing again at 22. I prefer MS for my frequencies 250-6k so as to avoid phase, the rest conventional. for the treble interleaved, bass non.
I’m stupid. What do you mean by wide, diminishing, thin, thick.
I also don't understand. :?

After some more experiments I noted that setting some of the crossover points to some of the harmonic frequencies (e.g. 220 Hz if the keynote is A) makes the bass a bit tighter, I guess because it attenuates these harmonics and unmasks the fundamental.

I mostly use this kind of processing on psytrance basses, the classic technique since the old quadrafuzz times.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Hi, sorry I had been looking at other posts. I meant mono (thin) to non-interleaved stereo (stereo=3 width). The best way to make a bass crossover for dsp and limiter is to set stereo width for up to 180 to 0.3 width and then expand again to 1.2 so as to be less distortion. A good trick for making a limiter.

GL

It will be interesting to note how many mid-side multiband compressors seems are out there.

Personally, i’M pretty sure IK’s is from memory and iZotope’s Neutron/Ozone does. I know Logic’s stock doesn’t, neither do the Waves C4/C6. The F6 can, but that’s a dynamic eq.

An anyone else add to this list?? Also, it would be interesting to hear any axamples of what you would use a mid-side multiband compressor for.

simon.a.billington wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:25 am It will be interesting to note how many mid-side multiband compressors seems are out there.

Personally, i’M pretty sure IK’s is from memory and iZotope’s Neutron/Ozone does. I know Logic’s stock doesn’t, neither do the Waves C4/C6. The F6 can, but that’s a dynamic eq.

An anyone else add to this list?? Also, it would be interesting to hear any axamples of what you would use a mid-side multiband compressor for.
Whoops. I meant to talk about saturators.

The Brainworx one, Trash and I believe the one by FabFilter, is it Saturn?? Any others??

And yeah, what would you use them for in mid-side??

simon.a.billington wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:25 am It will be interesting to note how many mid-side multiband compressors seems are out there.

Yes, I'm actually setting up a nice eq that has selectable width (only uses 2% cpu).

(click to open dsprobotics forum entry)

Right now it has four bands of width and five bells / shelves. Eventually it will have mouse control and to the effect of 7 bells, and 7 select-able width areas. Interestingly, there will also be the selection of mid side or stereo per band. And the width in the case of side would affect it, or stereo.

Currently the placement for the 4 bands of width is automatically decided, but it will be manually select-able in a short while.

I was going to make a version with mild compression as well, based upon the limiting I used for the esquire limiter, that will be the technician CE, The exciting part of this is that the attack and release allow for smoothing effects as well as micro latency (in the ms):

(click to open kvr database entry)

Though 32 now, the 64 bit flowstone is almost ready.

kingozrecords wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:17 pm

Yes, I'm actually setting up a nice eq that has selectable width (only uses 2% cpu).

(click to open dsprobotics forum entry)

Right now it has four bands of width and five bells / shelves. Eventually it will have mouse control and to the effect of 7 bells, and 7 select-able width areas. Interestingly, there will also be the selection of mid side or stereo per band. And the width in the case of side would affect it, or stereo.

Currently the placement for the 4 bands of width is automatically decided, but it will be manually select-able in a short while.

I was going to make a version with mild compression as well, based upon the limiting I used for the esquire limiter, that will be the technician CE, The exciting part of this is that the attack and release allow for smoothing effects as well as micro latency (in the ms):

(click to open kvr database entry)

Though 32 now, the 64 bit flowstone is almost ready.
Oh nice!! Good touch with the smoothing effects and micro latency.

Return to “Production Techniques”