Studio One Pro 4.5

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Studio One Professional

For the upgrade price i rather bought Cubase 10 Pro (never saw that coming..)
Intel® Core™ i9-9900K•Cubase 11•Presonus Eris E8 XT•Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 & Octopre•NI Kontrol S61 MK2•Stein­berg CC121•Synthesizers: Arturia Casio Korg Roland Yamaha

Jens, don't feed the troll!
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

With regard to midi tools and Fruity Loops.

I am pretty new to Studio One and am still finding my way around and hardly ever use midi these days. Anyway, I did some googling today, and found out that S1 has a pattern editor that can be invoked by pressing <control-shift-P>. Is this not similar to Fruity Loops ?

I loaded a track with Impact, and another with Mai Tai and I was good to go. I quickly knocked up a FL type beat. :)

I think you misunderstood the comment regarding FL. Someone else gave a list of MIDI functions/features he misses in S1 and there was no mention of FL at all. Nobody said he is missing a step-sequencer in S1.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

The midi edit functions in FL are top-rated.
Intel® Core™ i9-9900K•Cubase 11•Presonus Eris E8 XT•Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 & Octopre•NI Kontrol S61 MK2•Stein­berg CC121•Synthesizers: Arturia Casio Korg Roland Yamaha

dellboy wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 7:12 pm With regard to midi tools and Fruity Loops.

I am pretty new to Studio One and am still finding my way around and hardly ever use midi these days. Anyway, I did some googling today, and found out that S1 has a pattern editor that can be invoked by pressing <control-shift-P>. Is this not similar to Fruity Loops ?

I loaded a track with Impact, and another with Mai Tai and I was good to go. I quickly knocked up a FL type beat. :)
Actually, you can just hold ALT and double click the left mouse button on the track you want the pattern on (from the position of the cursor) which is easier. You can also set a macro button to open it...

The Drum and Pattern editors are really handy for getting drums, percussion and melodies down quickly, which you can then do more complicated stuff with other aspects of the program.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

Doesn't seem to have been discussed here yet, but it's good to note that there is a severe automation bug in 4.5. If you make a straight angle curve, like drop volume to mute, there will be a significant fade rather than straight drop in volume.

raymondwave wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 8:38 am Doesn't seem to have been discussed here yet, but it's good to note that there is a severe automation bug in 4.5. If you make a straight angle curve, like drop volume to mute, there will be a significant fade rather than straight drop in volume.
This is happening, yes, pretty bad! It was in previous version as well! That part of automation tricks was always bad in Studio One, like it doesnt react fast enough...while it should! Did someone report this issue to Presonus yet?

What actually makes me mad, is that Presonus Atom can play only chromatic scale. There is no scale option in Atom.
Actually it is easy in Bitwig to add midi tools to build a scale in seconds (and play 2 octave scale, not one octave chromatic) and in that regard atom works in Bitwig better for me than in Studio One. Bitwig enviroment is better to set up controllers. I don't understand, why Presonus can't do it for their own Atom controller.

Also macro knob automation is noncense. We can't automate macro knob. Why they implemented it then?

Automation bug is not in 4.1.4. Try creating a stepped (full/mute/full/..) volume automation for an audio track and it does as supposed in 4.1.4, whereas 4.5 it starts to fade out even before the automation kicks in and the fade is pretty long.

I noticed while testing this tho that automating virtual instrument values are not necessarily instant, but have slight lag/fade, don't know why this happens, didn't do extensive testing. But 4.5 the bug is different.

rmacattack wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 1:18 pm
Passing Bye wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 8:06 am
beatmangler443 wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 7:50 am
Passing Bye wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 6:47 am Yes, because pencil in drum hits and 808 to follow it is playing an instrument.
Trying to find reason to discredit that they are winning currently?
No, I'm actually happy about it and it gives me hope for the better future, because it opened the gates and leveled the playing field, changed a game a little, now we just need to get in some balance again, amazing times really, everyone had their go at the trend and soon is another new thing, only the best will survive and ones that have to offer more than trap beats, I'm personally not threatened, remember when dubstep was huge, it was same gimmick as trap, people got sick and embarrassed and moved on.
Trap/Hip Hop/Boom Bap whatever is not going anywhere. It's not about being threatened, you will have to adapt to what the market wants or get left behind. I'm assuming your an old school musician who has set ways from 10 years ago and think what works then works now. IMO it's the artist who wears many hats. You songwrite/produce etc. You got that 20 year old artist who can play a little bit, but also likes finger drumming and can plug in notes via the piano roll. He might not be the best theory wise or at playing at instruments, but the end result his music is good. Presonus came out with Atom? Kinda catching up to whats the NOW and what users for this generation are looking for. Which means easy software, not to complicated, hardware integrated.
Everything in the arts, music included, either dies, evolves into something else, or sort of fades into the background. Boom bap, which is my first love musically, is mostly on the fringes and in peoples bedrooms as rock and roll is no longer mainstream and relegated to garages and bars. Same as jazz, blues etc. Trap will be the same. Eventually a new trend will begin. You don't need to be old to figure this out. Just look at the music your parents listened to and ask what happened to it?

Straight2Vinyl wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 2:16 pm
Everything in the arts, music included, either dies, evolves into something else, or sort of fades into the background. Boom bap, which is my first love musically, is mostly on the fringes and in peoples bedrooms as rock and roll is no longer mainstream and relegated to garages and bars. Same as jazz, blues etc. Trap will be the same. Eventually a new trend will begin. You don't need to be old to figure this out. Just look at the music your parents listened to and ask what happened to it?
Maybe the appetite for a certain type of art dies in the newer generations, but the appreciation for the artist remains in the older generations, such as Michelangelo, etc. That's why their artwork is worth so much today, because the talent level of today's artists are no match. That is because they didn't study and put in the hours of work in that style of painting to achieve it.

Same could be said for Mozart, people just don't have the talent to match that genius level of musician and composer. But, they can still admire their works and appreciate it by listening to it on Spotify and Sirius, etc.

If you're going by what is popular on the charts and fed through the broadcasting channels, then you might be correct in assuming they are dying or dead. But, in reality, they are just less appealing to a newer generation that doesn't have the ability to play or appreciate it. Instead they are force fed the newest fad, like the clothes brand of the month.

When they get older, they realize it never died, it was just pushed out of their radar. The reason music tends to come back in fashion for the next fad to be profited from. It also has a lot to do with the region you live in, because Country Music is supposed to be big, but where I am it's "dead".

You guys went off topic. Moderator, please clean this crap!

Yesturday I found out there are no midi sends like in Ableton. I'm trying to set up a VolumeShaper to duck a bass line from my kick midi. I spent a few hours yesterday looking for answers but have come up short.

I've already read the VolumeShaper FAQ and they don't answer how to actually set up this type of situation.

So from what I can tell I need to have a separate track with the duck midi and a VolumeShaper on it, so how can I send the audio from my bass track though that track? Or is there some other way I can set this up?

rageix wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 8:28 pm Yesturday I found out there are no midi sends like in Ableton. I'm trying to set up a VolumeShaper to duck a bass line from my kick midi. I spent a few hours yesterday looking for answers but have come up short.

I've already read the VolumeShaper FAQ and they don't answer how to actually set up this type of situation.

So from what I can tell I need to have a separate track with the duck midi and a VolumeShaper on it, so how can I send the audio from my bass track though that track? Or is there some other way I can set this up?
Yeah MIDI routing is a bit of a mess in Studio One currently.

First, you'd set up your bass track with your bass instrument and the VolumeShaper as an insert. Then insert an empty Instrument Track and copy the MIDI notes from the kick into a MIDI clip on there. Then in the dropdown of that MIDI track, you should see VolumeShaper show up as an "Instrument" (even though it's an effect).

Here's an example (with Kickstart, since I don't have VolumeShaper): Image

You could also upvote this: https://answers.presonus.com/25522/midi ... ts-inserts

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”