From software to hardware failure

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

vurt wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 12:57 pm everything dies.
without death, there is no life.
That's a pretty bleak outlook man...like what's the point man? I may as well go and kill myself now, man :cry:

chk071 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:48 am
foosnark wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 12:32 pm For every story like this, you'll find someone who loves hardware and claims they can't work with software because of a "constant" need for updates, crashes, bugs, etc.
And what a nonsense that is.

1. Software doesn't need to be constantly updated...
2. Software doesn't commonly crash.
3. Software doesn't commonly have bugs.
You lost me at 3.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

dupont wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 12:10 pm I've been making EDM for a couple of decades, at first with analogue gear (pre DAW period) and for 15 years only with computer, DAWs and plugins.

Last week, I decided to bring back my hardware/anlogue gear from the attic and rebuild my studio.
1 week later, I feel it is a failure.
-what a mess all this audio cables everywhere across the room, I was so fed up I did not even wired the midi cables.
-I switched on the TR909, no more memory : damaged batteries ruined the battery case (I forgot to remove them)
-SH 101, TB303 and TR808, buzzy noise while moving some faders, which happilly disapears after some knobs and sliders tweakings.
-JP8000, distorted low level audio output, classic failure of one capacitor in this synth (was working fine before I stock it in the original box 15 years before, even when not used, the synth is damaged !)

Sure, the sound that comes out from hardware synths is better than most plugins but what a mess, no total recall, lot of wires, need a entire room space and adapted furniture to put the gear, fragile, not easy to integrate with DAW, no automation.
I've not been abble to make serious music for 1 week and have spent lot of time to try to find each synth the best place in order to plug it to the mixer, order parts and tools for fixing the broken gears.

I think it is not worst and I will put all this hardware back in the attic and go back to the computer wich is more user friendly.

Can you share your experience and tell how you deal with hardware setup and how you include it with your DAW ?

my experience:

i look after all my gear, it cost me a lot of money. I dont do stupid things like leaving batteries in anything.

sorry, i cannot relate to your tale of woe, but if you are selling the gear, i can give you a decent price (taking damage into consideration)

AnX wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:27 am
my experience:

i look after all my gear, it cost me a lot of money. I dont do stupid things like leaving batteries in anything.

sorry, i cannot relate to your tale of woe, but if you are selling the gear, i can give you a decent price (taking damage into consideration)
+1

It never ceases to amaze me as to how much damage some of these numb nuts inflict upon their gear when you see the shite on on offer for sale on eBay.

In the 80s, some manufacturers did stupid things like soldering batteries onto their boards so they could use volatile RAM as if it were non-volatile. (Thanks, Korg.)

jacqueslacouth wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:30 pm
That's a pretty bleak outlook man...like what's the point man? I may as well go and kill myself now, man :cry:
it's only bleak if you view death as something negative.

Last edited by Mushy Mushy on Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Mushy Mushy wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:53 pm
vurt wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:47 pm
jacqueslacouth wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:30 pm
it's only bleak if you view death as something negative.

if you wanna be a nonconformist like us, you gotta wear black and drink coffee.

vurt wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:56 pm if you wanna be a nonconformist like us, you gotta wear black and drink coffee.
Great line.

i love the sp goths, the feud with the hot topic vampires was great and stan going goth when wendy dumped him :hihi:

vurt wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:58 pm i love the sp goths, the feud with the hot topic vampires was great and stan going goth when wendy dumped him :hihi:
The Hot Topic bit was brilliant.

vurt wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:56 pm if you wanna be a nonconformist like us, you gotta wear black and drink coffee.
it seems to me not drinking coffee is far more nonconforming in today's society
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Hink wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:46 pm
you dont watch south park do you? :hihi:

vurt wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:48 pm
Hink wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:46 pm
you dont watch south park do you? :hihi:
we did, I am not ready yet...but it aint the first time I made said observation
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”