Huge sale on Cubase 10 - 50% off for new purchases or crossgrades

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:12 pm
chk071 wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:18 pm Aye, i remember i even saw that, and forgot about it. :)

Most of these things seem to be related to external instruments though? At least, their absence never bothered me in Studio One.
Sure, if you're 100% ITB and entering things into a piano roll, then a lot of that won't apply. But that's kind of the whole point too. MIDI is this big wonderful protocol for interfacing all kinds of different gear. Studio One just isn't good at that whole concept of interfacing with different gear. It was a seemingly deliberate design choice to say, "hey, we need to have virtual instruments in our DAW but don't want to write an entire MIDI implementation from ground up cause that will take too long, what else can we do?" So they created some kind of method for taking basic MIDI messages, turning that into some kind of internal protocol, and declaring their job complete. All these years later, all the things they didn't account for are exactly what makes S1 weak on the MIDI side.

I'm not trying to bash either: I was really hoping versions 4 to 4.5 would be all about improving MIDI. Now I hope version 5 will be. Presonus could continue to ignore it, but doing so would be at their peril as Cubase looks to improve its ease of use and workflow - taking direct aim at S1.

I think the point and the direction in which Presonus, with not only being a software company but also a hardware company was to move forward with their own innovations and systems rather than being held back by old legacy protocols. Here's one example...that takes that route.

https://www.presonus.com/products/Studio-One-Remote
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

THE INTRANCER wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:12 am I think the point and the direction in which Presonus, with not only being a software company but also a hardware company was to move forward with their own innovations and systems rather than being held back by old legacy protocols. Here's one example...that takes that route.

If you think implementing MIDI is being "held back by old legacy protocols" then we're just never going to agree on this. :dog:

MIDI is still very much alive and well, was recently ratified with new enhancements, and is literally the only real game in town when it comes to integrating different hardware from different vendors. It's the closest thing to a single unifying standard we've got, and doing a damn fine job of that. You don't have to believe me, all you have to do is look for MIDI ports or MIDI USB ports on just about every piece of musical electronics sold over the last 30+ years up to today.

Also, it's not like Studio One has no MIDI. It's there. You can MIDI Learn any 7-bit CC, and plug in any generic MIDI keyboard and expect the note-ons, velocity, and basic CC's to work. They just half-assed the implementation and pretty much stopped there. They can call it "not MIDI" all they want, but they clearly are taking MIDI signals on the way in or none of this stuff would work.

THE INTRANCER wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:12 am
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:12 pm
chk071 wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:18 pm Aye, i remember i even saw that, and forgot about it. :)

Most of these things seem to be related to external instruments though? At least, their absence never bothered me in Studio One.
Sure, if you're 100% ITB and entering things into a piano roll, then a lot of that won't apply. But that's kind of the whole point too. MIDI is this big wonderful protocol for interfacing all kinds of different gear. Studio One just isn't good at that whole concept of interfacing with different gear. It was a seemingly deliberate design choice to say, "hey, we need to have virtual instruments in our DAW but don't want to write an entire MIDI implementation from ground up cause that will take too long, what else can we do?" So they created some kind of method for taking basic MIDI messages, turning that into some kind of internal protocol, and declaring their job complete. All these years later, all the things they didn't account for are exactly what makes S1 weak on the MIDI side.

I'm not trying to bash either: I was really hoping versions 4 to 4.5 would be all about improving MIDI. Now I hope version 5 will be. Presonus could continue to ignore it, but doing so would be at their peril as Cubase looks to improve its ease of use and workflow - taking direct aim at S1.

I think the point and the direction in which Presonus, with not only being a software company but also a hardware company was to move forward with their own innovations and systems rather than being held back by old legacy protocols. Here's one example...that takes that route.

If they were a hardware company, they'd never consider the typical midi protocol something that 'holds back' development, if anything it's crucial.

Far as tablet/phone controllers, apps etc with regards to workflow, I find them totally worthless on all levels -- and there's plenty that have been out long enough. They may be cute, and they may have value to some, but I find them clunky and unreliable at best.
Have you tried Vital?

Cute is pretty close to how I'd describe all that "icrap" stuff. (all variations)

The closest thing to cool was the Reason app that was made. My ipad is busted so I don't use it anymore but the Cubase and S1 versions were CRAP! It's easier to use a mouse.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:21 am If you think implementing MIDI is being "held back by old legacy protocols" then we're just never going to agree on this. :dog:

MIDI is still very much alive and well, was recently ratified with new enhancements, and is literally the only real game in town when it comes to integrating different hardware from different vendors. It's the closest thing to a single unifying standard we've got, and doing a damn fine job of that. You don't have to believe me, all you have to do is look for MIDI ports or MIDI USB ports on just about every piece of musical electronics sold over the last 30+ years up to today.

Also, it's not like Studio One has no MIDI. It's there. You can MIDI Learn any 7-bit CC, and plug in any generic MIDI keyboard and expect the note-ons, velocity, and basic CC's to work. They just half-assed the implementation and pretty much stopped there. They can call it "not MIDI" all they want, but they clearly are taking MIDI signals on the way in or none of this stuff would work.
I didn't mention MIDI specificaly in my post you'll notice, I'm well aware of it's evolution and importance since it's humble beginnings back in 1984, through the 1990's and I'm still using 5 Pin DIN cables from my synths to control Studio One to this day. My point is that Presonus made clear choices on how MIDI would be implemented in the program but leaving the doors open for themselves to take advantage of new technologies in the future. That doesn't mean to say that old legacy protocols will be completely abandoned, just rather more evolved and forward thinking as technology moves forward.
With two former Cubase developers, that worked with Presonus Studio One... I think, there was a clear objective in doing something different... and forward thinking.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

I have a feeling all that forward looking thinking they did is going to result in them ultimately going back and building a proper MIDI implementation.

Not sure about that stretch Intrancer, but I don't see how any particular implementation of midi development correlates to leaving doors open to additional technologies anywhere with the software, especially something like your example of a mobile app.

Regardless, if you are happy and covers the bases YOU need, who cares what it lacks.
Have you tried Vital?

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:21 am
THE INTRANCER wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:12 am I think the point and the direction in which Presonus, with not only being a software company but also a hardware company was to move forward with their own innovations and systems rather than being held back by old legacy protocols. Here's one example...that takes that route.

If you think implementing MIDI is being "held back by old legacy protocols" then we're just never going to agree on this. :dog:

Is that also the reason why stuff like Komplete Kontrol won't work? I can MIDI learn in the standalone, but, i can't MIDI learn Komplete Kontrol in Studio One.

All this talk about the death of midi, and I have an email today from Ableton about CV Gate tools.

https://www.ableton.com/en/blog/cv-tool ... ming-soon/

Hardware is back, and it needs CV Gate and midi.

Funkbot said it best:

"MIDI is still very much alive and well, was recently ratified with new enhancements, and is literally the only real game in town when it comes to integrating different hardware from different vendors. It's the closest thing to a single unifying standard we've got, and doing a damn fine job of that."
Have you tried Vital?

Hi Everyone,

I recently received my competitive crossgrade box in the mail, sealed up nice. If I understand correctly, assuming I don't have an immediate need for Cubase, I am better off waiting to register and activate the serial number until the next major update (10.5) is released, likely in November or December. Is that correct?

Thanks!

bharris22 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:53 pm Hi Everyone,

I recently received my competitive crossgrade box in the mail, sealed up nice. If I understand correctly, assuming I don't have an immediate need for Cubase, I am better off waiting to register and activate the serial number until the next major update (10.5) is released, likely in November or December. Is that correct?

Thanks!
I seem to remember someone already asking this question in this long thread.

Its there somewhere - but I seem to remember that some said yes and others said risky.

Personally I bought mine and activated and registered it.

In theory a boxed version could sit on the shelf for years waiting for a buyer.

dellboy wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:15 pm
bharris22 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:53 pm Hi Everyone,

Thanks!
I seem to remember someone already asking this question in this long thread.

Its there somewhere - but I seem to remember that some said yes and others said risky.

Personally I bought mine and activated and registered it.

In theory a boxed version could sit on the shelf for years waiting for a buyer.
not risky, the date of activation determines the version you get. it is on the steinberg site, and well known. you could wait 4 years, for example. i know someone who bought 7.5 pro several years back, didn't had time to use it, recently installed it and activated it, in the time that 9.5 pro was the version.

Thank you both!

Who held up registering their Cubase crossgrade until 10.5? That was my original plan, but I could not resist the temptation and now I regret it dearly.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”