U-he The Cat

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Urs wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 12:18 pm As for the Cat, there was a polyphonic version ("Voyetra 8").
Dear Lord, YES! I would love a U-he version of the Voyetra 8 and buy it in a heartbeat!

To me, it is one of the best sounding analog poly synths ever, along with the Prophet 5, which you absolutely nailed with Repro-5.

I have tried most softsynths on the market through the years and Repro-5 is special. To me it was the first time a softsynth actually sounded as good or even better than hardware, and I have the original hardware synth too in good condition.

Dear Lord NO !

Let's focus on the future of synthesis not the past......... :wink:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:40 pm Dear Lord NO !

U-he's found the sweet spot between both IMO. You've got Zebra, Hive, Bazille on one hand. Then things like Diva, RePro, Ace on the other. I find both types of products appealing.

Absolutely yes, The Cat sounds phenomenal.

Sure I get your point, can't all be emulations of old inventions, but some synths are really worth having in digital form and the Voyetra 8 absolutely is.

The Voyetra 8 is a rare synth. Lot's of bugs and hardware problems, especially version 3, but it sounds really really good. U-he's emulation quality is so high that a VST from them could IMO end up being even better than the original hardware in practical day-to-day use, and that's not mentioning the price difference and the fact that you don't have to service any hardware.

And besides, regarding the future of synthesis, you just got Hive 2. That's definitely the future :wink:
Last edited by doshult on Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joke’s on you! The future of synthesis is the past!

:lol:
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Teksonik wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:40 pm Let's focus on the future of synthesis not the past......... :wink:
if you would like to focus on the future of synthesis, you could contribute to this.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/motor-synth

the past and the future are both valuable. this modern attitude of devaluing any object or idea just because it's not new has lead to a lot of important stuff being lost

How easily triggered fans of ancient hardware can be........ :hihi:

The sad part is how many people define synthesis as only a saw or square wave through a low pass filter.

Some of us who lived through the era don't see much point in looking back. Been there, done that, looking to do something different.

But I can't blame developers for picking low hanging fruit. It's obvious the demand for emulations of outdated synths is high so go for it......there's a lot of money to be made.

Good luck gentlemen, I hope you get every piece of ancient hardware perfectly emulated. :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Why not both, right?

In the end, what matters the most to me is that an instrument sounds good to me and is inspring to play and program.
Doesn't matter if those pleasing results come from ancient or cutting edge modern technology.

Having said that, i'd rather have something new too, or at least i'm not that interested in perfect emulations of anything and prefer instruments that might have oscillator and filter models inspired by for example Roland/Korg/Buchla-esque, etc. characteristics, but generally are their own thing.
Of course it's much easier “just“ to try to copy some tried and trusted “legendary instruments“ than knowing beforehand that your own invention might become a legend on it's own
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

Teksonik wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:55 pm :hihi:
urs has said that doing the voyetra would NOT be low-hanging fruit. re-pro 5 nearly killed him to make, and that's why he doesn't currently want to do another. BUT REGARDLESS:

i think it's foolish to believe that every single avenue of sound possible with the Pro-1 was explored, back when it came out. Progress does not just mean plunging endlessly forward. It can mean revisiting an old spot and heading out to the left and right as well, to see if there was anything back there that you missed.

Furthermore, progress does not immediately mean that everything which came before is obsolete. Would you suggest burning all violins the day the string machine came along? No, you wouldn't. Everything has its place, and everything has a strength.

Anyway, u-he just created a scripting language for algorithmically creating sounds. It's not as if you're starved for new opportunities. Did you check out the motor synthesizer? it's really cool. I wish I could justify purchasing one, to myself, but I am still very much a hobbyist.

also, "not immediately agreeing with you" does not mean people are triggered. i didn't see anyone getting worked up when you said "dear lord no," they just made their opinions known, exactly like you did

i could say YOU were triggered by the thought of another reproduction. but i wouldn't say that, because it was clearly not the case, and also because we're all in this together. there's no need to sneer at people and put them down

i'd believe you thought it was "sad" that people had a limited outlook, except you seem to love snickering about it.

Teksonik wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:55 pm How easily triggered fans of ancient hardware can be........ :hihi:

The sad part is how many people define synthesis as only a saw or square wave through a low pass filter.

Some of us who lived through the era don't see much point in looking back. Been there, done that, looking to do something different.

But I can't blame developers for picking low hanging fruit. It's obvious the demand for emulations of outdated synths is high so go for it......there's a lot of money to be made.

Good luck gentlemen, I hope you get every piece of ancient hardware perfectly emulated. :tu:
theres nothing new in synthesis, its all been done in hardware.... additive, wavetables, all the filters, modular, romplers, etc etc

stuff just gets cherry picked, repackaged and sold as a new product in software

the only future is reincarnation

.... do ppl still play the piano or guitar? :P

Apart from that, i don't know how popular a new additive synth would be... subtractive or wavetable synths are what most people want. Anything else is rather niche. You can do it, but, it's not really safe that people will buy it. Boring, i know, but, that's how it is.

Last edited by ghettosynth on Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “u-he”