New Waves Update Plan Terms

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey all,

I just noticed that Waves have changed the conditions of their update plan:
https://www.waves.com/support/waves-update-plan

Minimum cost is now 12$ (was somwehere between 7,50$ and 10$ before) and the cap for 1 year + non overlapping products is now 240$.
WUP cost meanwhile seems to be a 9% of the MSRP (based on my own calculations)

But before y'all go get your pitchforks, I'm happy to announce that the expiration penalty seems to be gone :party:
So no matter how long your WUP has been expired, there will be no additional cost involved.

krabbencutter wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:39 pm Hey all,

I just noticed that Waves have changed the conditions of their update plan:
https://www.waves.com/support/waves-update-plan

Minimum cost is now 12$ (was somwehere between 7,50$ and 10$ before) and the cap for 1 year + non overlapping products is now 240$.
WUP cost meanwhile seems to be a 9% of the MSRP (based on my own calculations)

But before y'all go get your pitchforks, I'm happy to announce that the expiration penalty seems to be gone :party:
So no matter how long your WUP has been expired, there will be no additional cost involved.
Ask yourself this question, what do you need a currently active WUP for?
Hint: You don't.

Version 9 and 10 are pretty much identical, minus the new free incremental updates and tech support.
It's safe to guess that most if not all the bugs have been squashed and no new features will be added.

This doesn't mean later this year Waves might come out with an update to all their GUI's and add features to their current line up. But, until then, there really isn't a reason to have WUP active.

Unless of course you have GAS and want to offload plugins you shouldn't have bought in the first place.

Alright folks, you heard the man. Please move on, there's nothing to see here. :tu:

krabbencutter wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:43 pm Alright folks, you heard the man. Please move on, there's nothing to see here. :tu:
It seems someone has a hidden agenda against Waves and forum users at KVR.

Good idea to move on...

is this also new?

"*** For every dollar you spend on a renewed Waves Update Plan, you will receive a Waves voucher for the same amount. This voucher may be redeemed for up to 50% toward any bundle, application (e.g. MultiRack, eMotion LV1), or upgrade, or up to 25% toward any plugin, off the price at the time of redemption. The voucher may not be combined with multiple plugin discounts. The voucher can be used for one order only and does not carry a remaining balance. Multiple vouchers may not be combined. ""

but the discussion for WUP isn't that usefull, if you have windows.. they will remain to work.. until, there will 128 bits DAW's, or something else.

The vouchers have been around for a long time but the regular Waves sales and limitations in the voucher terms make it hard to use them in practice.

It is Mac Users who seem to need the updates... on occasions my Mac based pals had to update plugins to make them work with their latest MAC OS update and they had to pay WUP or buy the plugin again (if it is $29 bucks or less that would make sense. ). PC users so far seem to be spared the hassle.

Gamma-UT wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:44 pm The vouchers have been around for a long time but the regular Waves sales and limitations in the voucher terms make it hard to use them in practice.
i didn't notice it before, because i ignore the WUP... and i stept into waves, at version 10... so...

but i see that the vouchers aren't that "wonderfull", strange limitations, you are right.
and the sales, via sales, you can also renew.... but i think fo 5 years i am good, resizable gui, after my wup is gone? mwah, i have a solution for small gui's (3 screens, and different resolutions..).

Scotty wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:47 pm It is Mac Users who seem to need the updates... on occasions my Mac based pals had to update plugins to make them work with their latest MAC OS update and they had to pay WUP or buy the plugin again (if it is $29 bucks or less that would make sense. ). PC users so far seem to be spared the hassle.
yes, that is why i am not bothered about the WUP, and other plugins from other manufacturers...
why does apple has such a problem with updates of there OS and compatibility? there is a reason, but not user friendly. the reason i think is "stability", but mac OS isnt always that stable. and in my experience windows can be very stable. even with waves central...

WasteLand wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:02 pm
Scotty wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:47 pm It is Mac Users who seem to need the updates... on occasions my Mac based pals had to update plugins to make them work with their latest MAC OS update and they had to pay WUP or buy the plugin again (if it is $29 bucks or less that would make sense. ). PC users so far seem to be spared the hassle.
yes, that is why i am not bothered about the WUP, and other plugins from other manufacturers...
why does apple has such a problem with updates of there OS and compatibility? there is a reason, but not user friendly. the reason i think is "stability", but mac OS isnt always that stable. and in my experience windows can be very stable. even with waves central...
It seems most of the complaints are aimed the wrong direction. It's more of an "Apple" Mac issue and their poor implementations of their O/S updates. I would hate to have to update, patch and fix their newest and greatest attempts of an update every few months or years. I think Mac users are starting to realize the lies they were sold about Windows O/S and the difficulties they come with. It seems the shoe is on the other foot now and the "susceptible to viruses" scares have died down.

rewrite history wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:33 pm
krabbencutter wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:39 pm
Unless of course you have GAS and want to offload plugins you shouldn't have bought in the first place.
Or you have discovered better tools and simply won't rid of your old ones. It is absolutely criminal that license transfers are linked to WUP and in some cases renewal prices being higher than the (every other week) sale price. I literally cannot give my Gold license away (short of transferring my account) because it will cost me $150... I don't buy plugins to make money on reselling them, but I like to be able to recoup some of the costs if I can or at the very least have the option to gift the license, without having to give up my account in the process. They have one of the worst, if not THE worse license transfer policy of any plugin dev. That they're holding me to ransom for 150 bucks, makes the $50 fee SpectraSonics are going to charge me to sell on Omnisphere, very reasonable indeed. Rant over :|
Always Read the Manual!

PieBerger wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:39 pm Or you have discovered better tools and simply won't rid of your old ones. It is absolutely criminal that license transfers are linked to WUP and in some cases renewal prices being higher than the (every other week) sale price. I literally cannot give my Gold license away (short of transferring my account) because it will cost me $150... I don't buy plugins to make money on reselling them, but I like to be able to recoup some of the costs if I can or at the very least have the option to gift the license, without having to give up my account in the process. They have one of the worst, if not THE worse license transfer policy of any plugin dev. That they're holding me to ransom for 150 bucks, makes the $50 fee SpectraSonics are going to charge me to sell on Omnisphere, very reasonable indeed. Rant over :|
One size surely doesn't fit all.

But, from my experience, people buy things because of GAS and sell things because they want to buy more things because of GAS. And if you are currently under the spell of GAS, it's hard to see through all the smoke and fumes.

rewrite history wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:51 pm
PieBerger wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:39 pm Or you have discovered better tools and simply won't rid of your old ones. It is absolutely criminal that license transfers are linked to WUP and in some cases renewal prices being higher than the (every other week) sale price. I literally cannot give my Gold license away (short of transferring my account) because it will cost me $150... I don't buy plugins to make money on reselling them, but I like to be able to recoup some of the costs if I can or at the very least have the option to gift the license, without having to give up my account in the process. They have one of the worst, if not THE worse license transfer policy of any plugin dev. That they're holding me to ransom for 150 bucks, makes the $50 fee SpectraSonics are going to charge me to sell on Omnisphere, very reasonable indeed. Rant over :|
One size surely doesn't fit all.

But, from my experience, people buy things because of GAS and sell things because they want to buy more things because of GAS. And if you are currently under the spell of GAS, it's hard to see through all the smoke and fumes.
I'm not under the spell of gas though,and least not so strongly that it's affecting my ability to be critical of an objectively shitty business practice. I'm probably on the low end of average for a KVRer in number of plugins owned and I try to think carefully about what I buy. I'm only human, so I'm bound to make a bad decision despite best efforts and naturally as I move through (producer) life my tastes and needs can change and I may need new tools to help me solve different problems. With regards to my Gold license, I'd actually like to sell it or at least gift it because I want to pair down my plugin collection and focus more on the tools that I prefer to use in their place. So despite your own experiences, I'm not just the another producer looking for the next plugin fix, I'd just like to be able to get a small percentage of my investment back or at the very least be able to gift it to someone without being punished for it.
Always Read the Manual!

PieBerger wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:35 pm I'm not under the spell of gas though,and least not so strongly that it's affecting my ability to be critical of an objectively shitty business practice. I'm probably on the low end of average for a KVRer in number of plugins owned and I try to think carefully about what I buy. I'm only human, so I'm bound to make a bad decision despite best efforts and naturally as I move through (producer) life my tastes and needs can change and I may need new tools to help me solve different problems. With regards to my Gold license, I'd actually like to sell it or at least gift it because I want to pair down my plugin collection and focus more on the tools that I prefer to use in their place. So despite your own experiences, I'm not just the another producer looking for the next plugin fix, I'd just like to be able to get a small percentage of my investment back or at the very least be able to gift it to someone without being punished for it.
All I can say about that is, people and the Gold bundle have been producing Gold records for decades, so it's surely not the bundle. But what do I know, I'm not you.

rewrite history wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:44 pm
krabbencutter wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:43 pm Alright folks, you heard the man. Please move on, there's nothing to see here. :tu:
It seems someone has a hidden agenda against Waves and forum users at KVR.

Good idea to move on...
or maybe, just maybe... there are a lot of influencers, on every site. people who make money from waves? people who make money from other companies? people who make money selling presets and skins and midi stencils etc. this is where we are at. everyone is fake, trust no one, but burn everything. i have have a handful of waves plugs, i force myself to use them, but their google like business model is the definition of evil. can't say i blame them, because of the hackers, but they are not stopping the hackers.

Return to “Effects”