Reason 10.3 is out ...and it's awesome!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

starflakeprj wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:39 pm What Reason lacks comparing to other DAWs it's making up for in creativity and modularity.

= I'm having much more fun in Reason than in any other DAW, despite its lacking of "basic features".
As a sound building hardware-inspired funpark there's not much that rivals it, especially if you've used used it for years and/or have a hardware background -- because that's exactly what Propellerhead intended it to be. They did a whole lot right and people fannied up, regardless that props timing and customer relations was atrocious.

However... see below.
Have you tried Vital?

antic604 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:27 pm
Psuper wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:20 pmAnyway Antic you are on these forums enough that I know you don't need me to point those threads out to you. Maybe Starflake could use some personal research, but I don't think you do.
He's talking about "absolute basics" and of those all I can think of are track folders and automation curves, but - to be frank - Pro Tools still doesn't have the former and Cubase only got the latter in v10...
I mean really super-basic sequencing stuff such as:

- MIDI take recording

- overlapping clips

- slip-editing

- audio-clip in/out fading (so also crossfading)

Also you can't even change the volume of that bloody super-loud click and stuff like that...
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:49 am Also you can't even change the volume of that bloody super-loud click and stuff like that...
There's a volume slider right next to the Pre/Click buttons. :wink:

:oops: :dog: :oops:

I was looking for that - apparently it is too big for me to have been able to notice it... :lol:

I looked everywhere and even googled for it... :shock: Thanks a bunch! :tu:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

:-D
You're welcome

I love Reason, and the 10.3 update is indeed great. I do agree that there are some quite basic (subjective, I know) features that are still missing, such as:

-Track Folders
-The ability to mute individual notes (am I missing something, is this already possible somehow?)
-Automation curves
-Crossfades (and general audio editing capabilities)
-Multichannel MIDI for Kontakt/VE Pro/etc..
-Track manager for visibility between mixer/arrange
-ARA 2 support (not THAT basic, I know, but I still would love to have it for melodyne purposes)
-User customizable hotkeys/macros

Reason is still the DAW I feel the most creative in and have the most fun with. I realize it does tons of things that most other DAWs do not, but it would be incredible if they started adding some of these "basic" type things.

seems changing the prio of the CPU also helps a bit to the UI (mac)
~ sudo -i
Password:
MAC:var root# ps ax -l | grep Reason
2117666906 58851 1 0 97 0 6543604 1266644 - S ?? 37:02.30 /Applications/Reason 10/Reason.app/Contents/MacOS/Reason
0 59806 58691 0 31 -20 4267768 892 - S<+ s000 0:00.00 grep Reason

MAC:var root# sudo renice -n -20 -p 58851

MAC:~ root# ps ax -l | grep Reason
2117666906 58851 1 0 97 -20 6704940 1425300 - R< ?? 51:46.50 /Applications/Reason 10/Reason.app/Contents/MacOS/Reason
0 60320 60134 0 31 0 4285176 920 - S+ s000 0:00.00 grep Reason
https://bencane.com/2013/09/09/setting- ... nd-renice/

not much just a bit, crossfader +1, still the comping tool has to be used
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vVobDrEYwA
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Crossfading is a terrible thing missing.

jens wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:49 am
antic604 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:27 pm
Psuper wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:20 pmAnyway Antic you are on these forums enough that I know you don't need me to point those threads out to you. Maybe Starflake could use some personal research, but I don't think you do.
He's talking about "absolute basics" and of those all I can think of are track folders and automation curves, but - to be frank - Pro Tools still doesn't have the former and Cubase only got the latter in v10...
I mean really super-basic sequencing stuff such as:

- MIDI take recording

- overlapping clips

- slip-editing

- audio-clip in/out fading (so also crossfading)

Also you can't even change the volume of that bloody super-loud click and stuff like that...
It's worth mentioning you have two controls on the transport; alt and dub. The shortcuts for these are . and ,

Using these, you can create new lanes to record MIDI on, either as overdubs, or as alternate takes where the existing MIDI clip is muted. It's not quite what you're looking for as you have to press it manually but if you give yourself an extra bar on loop or something, that'd probably work. Maybe you could even remote map it to a button on your controller? Just an idea. Although yes, proper takes would be great!

Slip editing is also available (if I understand the term correctly) by entering comp mode and then clicking and dragging on the waveform to create an offset while keeping the audio event in time. I think you can adjust this from the status/info bar as well. Again not quite perfect and it'd be nice to do this from the arrange window but, it is almost possible!
Insert something profound/blatant self promotion/DAW specs here.

That's good that Propellerhead is taking VST seriously to keep up with other DAW. One of the reason for me switching DAW a long time a go was no VST and workflow. Hunting through racks, connections, and cables just not for me on more complex rig. I have requested in the past for a graphic/node-based editor view like AudioMulch, Buzz, FL Patcher/MiniHost, etc. as a bird's-eye view of your project and an alternative workflow. I do love Reason instruments and effects ui design though and seeing them stacking in the rack view like hardware rig. But since it's software we should take advantage as a software as well.

^^^ as I see putting the separator REs on the top of the mixer channels and creating tracks to them can help both visually and navigationally (double-clicking on it goes back to the affected instrument group)
it also has a great intro video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfQbLht_jLY
https://www.propellerheads.com/shop/rac ... ank-plate/
should be used in closed state ofc... :D

another basic thing which is missing: MIDI loop recording ...
only found this solution: https://ozdyx.wordpress.com/patches/autolaner/

txl wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:51 pm That's good that Propellerhead is taking VST seriously to keep up with other DAW. One of the reason for me switching DAW a long time a go was no VST and workflow. Hunting through racks, connections, and cables just not for me on more complex rig. I have requested in the past for a graphic/node-based editor view like AudioMulch, Buzz, FL Patcher/MiniHost, etc. as a bird's-eye view of your project and an alternative workflow. I do love Reason instruments and effects ui design though and seeing them stacking in the rack view like hardware rig. But since it's software we should take advantage as a software as well.
Yeah I'd say with VSTs working as they should and pretty much every sound and effect I could need, workflow and organisation are top priority for me. Bigger projects do get confusing quite quickly unless you're really on it with track order, colour coding, using separator devices (as has already been mentioned here).

I must post this once a week but things that would make my life immeasurably easier;

Sequencer folder tracks
Track, rack and mixer visibility groups
More colours
Pop out editor for rack instruments from the sequencer
Improved browser with the ability to search by category (filter, reverb, etc.)
Option to sync track/rack/channel order automatically

Really unglamorous stuff! But like I said, I don't need any more sounds now. If anything I have too many :hihi:
Insert something profound/blatant self promotion/DAW specs here.

xbitz wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:25 am another basic thing which is missing: MIDI loop recording ...
only found this solution: https://ozdyx.wordpress.com/patches/autolaner/
check this - try it just try it

https://www.propellerheads.com/shop/rac ... -recorder/

^^^ know that one, waiting for the next level
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gZ0voBb3XQ

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”