Wake Up! (looking for advice)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Due to various circumstances I haven't done any music in a while. Time go get back to it again. This is a 90s style house track but there's something missing that should be added/changed :?:

All advice is much obliged :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haXg-eCcstM
https://soundcloud.com/kbeesmusic/wake-up

No advice then? That must mean everything is perfect! :lol: :lol:

My Feedback

Music - 6
Instruments - 8.5
Performance - 8
Mix - 9

Overall - 7.875

Comments: My only nit pick is that, musically, it sounds like a backing track. Where's the melody? Oh I forgot, we don't do those here. I'd love to hear some vocals put to this. I think it's funky, cool, whatever old people said back in the day. Mix is fine. All the instruments can be heard. Nothing sticks out as being "bad." Performance is competent though not terribly exciting. It's just very vanilla and cookie cutter musically. Write an actual song to this and you've got something.

wagtunes wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:24 am My Feedback

Music - 6
Instruments - 8.5
Performance - 8
Mix - 9

Overall - 7.875

Comments: My only nit pick is that, musically, it sounds like a backing track. Where's the melody? Oh I forgot, we don't do those here. I'd love to hear some vocals put to this. I think it's funky, cool, whatever old people said back in the day. Mix is fine. All the instruments can be heard. Nothing sticks out as being "bad." Performance is competent though not terribly exciting. It's just very vanilla and cookie cutter musically. Write an actual song to this and you've got something.
Is there such a thing as a melody driven house tracks when a vocal isn't available? :hihi:
Anyway, thanks for listening :)

K-Bee wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:29 pm

Music - 6
Instruments - 8.5
Performance - 8
Mix - 9

Overall - 7.875

Is there such a thing as a melody driven house tracks when a vocal isn't available? :hihi:
Anyway, thanks for listening :)
Honestly, I have no idea. But that's what drives me crazy about a lot of today's "music." It's background chatter. It's something to dance to and that's about it. You can't sing 99% of this stuff. It's not memorable in any way.

If you all are happy with that, who am I to argue?

I really need to just stop commenting on the stuff posted here.

But think about this. Why do you think I'm the only one to have commented so far? Is it possibly that there just wasn't much here to comment on?

Music - 6
Instruments - 8.5
Performance - 8
Mix - 9

Overall - 7.875

I'm not big on house music for pretty much the same points wagtunes mentioned. I'll still listen and appreciate for what it is. The mix sounds solid even though I'm currently listening on my laptop. Found myself skipping forward multiple times to look for a little variety. The music is fun in small portions since it's pretty repetitive and I don't mean that in a bad way. It does take me back to those old demo videos that have no words, plenty of written or visual instructions and a funky but fun song playing the whole time.

It sounds good to me. Maybe it’s a little repetitive but it flows nicely for a comfortable, good vibe ride.

wagtunes wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:54 pm I really need to just stop commenting on the stuff posted here.
nah, stick to your guns, Wags. people should be happy to
get as many different opinions as possible, because i always
say, one opinion matters very little, but many can be useful.

people that come on here and ask for feedback but never give it
don't realize they are freeloading, feedback is a 2 way street.
get some, leave some. get it but never give back, you won't get anymore. :idea:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

This would be perfect while shopping at K-mart :D
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

I mean tbh you need to listen to the people's music who comment on your stuff. Its very telling around here once you go take a listen and see.

As for the song I like the vibe. The kind of donk bass is nicely done with that bit of distortion on the top. The riffs are nicely placed to give variety. I like the fact that you have a great ensemble here to make additional sounding tunes. Keep iterating!

Thanks guys.
I've been at this for ten years and l'm just a hobbyist (even thought l aceatually have a label deal).
Anyway, l'm just glad that people give it a listen. To each his own of course and there's no way this track would ever appeal to people not into house music. I'd never be positive with music that doesn't appeal to me in terms of genre and style. You could be a singer songwriter or heavy metal artist and do everything perfectly. IT still wouldnt make me like it ;-)
But...l'm learning all the time and every reaction helps me :-)

There's lots of housey stuff with a melody. Just bang a sax solo on the top or something, because the background is solid. Or let the keys break out into something a bit more forwards. Or put some vocals on it. It just doesn't really go anywhere at the moment.

It's a nice enough piece, but lacking something to really grab the listener and get them excited. This isn't genre-specific at all btw; any piece needs something to set it apart from all the other similar tracks in the genre. Essentially, you need a proper hook if you want this to be more than Yet Another House Track.

That might sound more critical than it's meant to be, because as said, it's actually a solid background track. With the key word there being "background".

Thanks for listening sjm. I'd love to have vocals on it but it's not really an option at this time.
I plan to work a bit more on this and upload a new version within a couple of days :-)

Return to “Music Cafe”