Tutorials&Theory that could be applied in RC

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

that's so awesome and amazing, thanks so much. Please post the links here and/or give the youtube channel to make sure I'm subscribed for when they appear. So exciting. Thanks a lot! Can't wait to learn more on how to use this great beast!

THAAAAAAAAANK YOUUU!!! to you and everybody who's making tutorials!!!! You guys are great!

iXaarii wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:49 pm Lydian + 7/4 = Writing Dreamy Instrumental Prog Rock

i hope in the following years to learn to better use Rapid Composer with odd time signatures as well as to better understand if it's a do or don't/danger in phrase generation to end up with phrases which change the beats that are emphasized and how to control that.
I just found this video as it kind of randomly showed up in my suggested videos on YouTube.. Watched it and was like a wow.. decided to post a link here, after typing and previewing it, I said wait, someone already posted this one.. lol

I seriously recommend watching that video...

sorry for slow response, read your post initially on a tablet and figured maybe i'm not seeing the video because of that, and then forgot, but now at pc I still don't see the video you talked about so wondering if maybe you forgot to paste the link, something that often happens to me too. I'd love to see the video and finally understand how to work with.
If you mean the video in this thread I saw that but i'm afraid i'm still a fool or at least don't get how time signatures work in RC. I recently wanted to make a waltz but i just couldn't get things to match as I expected in RC so i guess i just kept hammering my 4/4 thinking into it.

iXaarii wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:50 am sorry for slow response, read your post initially on a tablet and figured maybe i'm not seeing the video because of that, and then forgot, but now at pc I still don't see the video you talked about so wondering if maybe you forgot to paste the link, something that often happens to me too. I'd love to see the video and finally understand how to work with.
If you mean the video in this thread I saw that but i'm afraid i'm still a fool or at least don't get how time signatures work in RC. I recently wanted to make a waltz but i just couldn't get things to match as I expected in RC so i guess i just kept hammering my 4/4 thinking into it.
this one..

viewtopic.php?p=7683963#p7683963

aa, yes, thank you. Of course i've seen this one, it's a good one. I just have trouble translating that kind of information into RC practice

https://youtu.be/CYE2DOybFV0
an interesting video on the balance of repetition and development while keeping theme (my problem) in a melody

I enjoyed these videos from Scott Murphy about the relationships of chords. Good ideas for atonal film music. I like the way he notates chord relationships...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSKAt3pmYBs

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1DK4m2tuiw

great finds! It's amazing how much soundtrack music is sometimes not so much a progression but a kind of back and forth between some surprising chords. I remember seeing not long ago a video on this idea on horror music and was amazed how effective it was in evoking emotion despite being thinking and remember thinking this just isn't in my thinking as I think in terms of progressions.
Thank you for the videos!
An interesting video I found recently is this
https://youtu.be/ADR4-sIXoPE
unfortunately i guess this is a lot about changing articulations also so i guess I can't use it yet in RC ... a hot future feature I can't wait for :D The other thing that he mentions there that I don't know how to use in RC but seems like it might be hot is syncopation.

https://youtu.be/39iZqrZf66o
I wish i got how to use syncopation in RC in my music, seems like it can do interesting things.
Also the Mixololydian seems more versatile than I thought. That part about the interchangeable/hidden minor/major third I also found intriguing.

Hi to all,
sorry if it was already asked by iXaarii here but it's possible to have chords suggestions based on the chromatic mediant theory with rapidcomposer?

I mean from root chords have suggestions up and down to M3 (Major or minor) or m3 (Major or minor) with also preferences about diatonic mediant, chromatic mediant and double chromatic mediant related chords so you can choose from the three types.

I hope it's clear what I want to ask, it's also better explained on the second video that iXaarii linked some times ago.

Many thanks

Hi jwmusic,

thanks for your first post! I took the challenge and implemented diatonic and chromatic mediant chord suggestions:

It will appear in the next beta version, and in v4.0.

Thanks!
Attila

What good news!! Thank you for taking the time to consider this little suggestion.
I think it will be a very useful addition to a program that is already great for composing and even learning using music theories!

Looking at the quick suggestions screenshot you posted it seems to me that there aren't present the two chords that are in relation as "double chromatic mediant" (those with 0 notes in common that are anyway in a mediant relationship).
Considering that they are still used as modulation especially in film compositions, and since you have probably already set the calculations to get the results of all +-m3M3, do you think you can leave these visible too for an even better complete "mediant relationship" suggestion chart? It would be great.

Thank you once again for your time and work.

Yes, I wanted to add "double chromatic mediants" but I did not understand how they are built. I guess I need to do more research for a better explanation.

Thanks,
Attila

Thanks again for your reply,

I don't have enough posts to link some guides but there is an example in the YT video that I linked before and that I have transcribed, I hope it's clear...:
mediant rel.png
Possibilities:
root chord -> + M3 -> Major
root chord -> + M3 -> minor
root chord -> + m3 -> Major
root chord -> + m3 -> minor

root chord -> - m3 -> Major
root chord -> - m3 -> minor
root chord -> - M3 -> Major
root chord -> - M3 -> minor

Mediant relationship:
diatonic mediant (2 notes in common)
chromatic mediant (1 notes in common)
double chromatic mediant (0 notes in common)

Many thanks again for your time and interest in this
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I think I understand it, thanks for the explanation.
From the next beta version, double chromatic mediant chords are also offered:

Return to “MusicDevelopments”