April Contest: Gossip

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

PM sent. We'll see if he gets back to me.

wagtunes wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:41 pm
donkey tugger wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:30 pm
wagtunes wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:25 pm
donkey tugger wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:21 pm
wagtunes wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:09 pm What are you guys doing with the member's submission from the new guy with 2 posts, didn't follow any of the contest rules, and didn't provide a downloadable file? I'm not going to a link that isn't approved by this forum. If I'm going to be disqualified because of this, please let me know now. IMO, his entry should be deleted.
Come on lad, how's about a bit more of a proportionate response eh? No need for a nuclear meltdown. :lol: What about instead someone politely contacting him and explaining the rules, or something similarly reasonable? It's a bandcamp link so it's fine by the way. Don't know where this 'disqualification' bizzle is from mind?
Because I don't know where that link is going to take me to. For all I know, I could end up downloading a virus.

Tell you what? You click on the link first and if you don't get a virus warning, I'll go there next. I'm all for cutting a guy some slack but sheesh, I mean why have rules if we don't have to follow them? It's a lot less work to just post a link and be done with it.
I already did click it - it's fine.

I'm not saying let him enter in the current form, what I am saying is instead of immediately using the stick, offer the carrot...Point him to the rules first and see if he can sort out a downloadable file etc.
While I think that's the job of the admin, I'm going to PM him and point him to the contest rules and advise him what changes he needs to make.

Because I can be a decent guy once in a while.
Good man!

In an attempt to actually be a contributing member to this sub forum, I am providing somewhat detailed feedback on all the tracks before I cast my vote. Breaking some of these ties is going to be hard. You guys really brought it this month.

Here we go.

Wopelka Feedback (1-10 Scale)

Music - 9
Instruments – 9.5
Performance – 9
Mix – 8.5

Overall - 9

Comments: Nice intro. Very cool sounding. Love that sax! Very odd melody but digging it. Mix is good. Maybe a slight bit of low mid build that could probably use some EQ but not much. All in all, well done. Only beef, maybe a bridge or something to break it up a bit.

----------------------------------------

Donkey Tugger Feedback

Music - 10
Instruments – 9.5
Performance - 10
Mix – 9.5

Overall – 9.75

Comments: What's to say? A major music career that should have happened and never did. Can't help but think what could have been whenever I hear your stuff.

Tbase2000 Feedback

Music – 8.5
Instruments - 9
Performance – 9.5
Mix – 9.5

Overall – 9.125

Comments: All right, let's rock! This reminds me of a band from Brooklyn, NY. Love the guitar sounds. Vocals fit just right. I wish I had a rock voice like that but ain't ever gonna happen. LOL. Musically, kind of quirky. Feels like it walks the line between metal and glam. All in all, well done. Only nit pick is I think the hook could be emphasized a little more to stand out from the rest of the song.

Per99 Feedback

Music – 9.5
Instruments - 9
Performance - 9
Mix – 9.5

Overall – 9.25

Comments: Love the guitar intro. Vocal reminds me of one of those folksy prog bands. Really liking this. Makes me smile. And not a lot of music makes me smile. Well played.

Laguna Rising Feedback

Music – 8.5
Instruments - 9
Performance - 10
Mix - 9

Overall – 9.125

Comments: This one really had my foot tapping. The drums are awesome with that funky beat you got going. Musically, it a little all over the place and kind of hard to follow at times. But I like it as it kept me guessing and was never boring. Mix is nice. Some of the instruments sound a little cheesy. But that's just my personal preference. All in all, very cool for what I consider an avant-garde piece. Reminds me a little bit of Gentle Giant.

Folderol Feedback

Music – 8.5
Instruments – 7.5
Performance - 8
Mix – 8.5

Overall – 8.125

Comments: It's a nice idea. The melody is certainly catchy. I'm just not wild about some of the instrument choices. Has kind of a General MIDI sound. Also, song doesn't really develop enough. Feels like it's incomplete. Maybe with some change up at the end it might have come off better. Not bad though. I'm actually still singing the main melody after hearing it. This one has real potential with a little more work.

Beanpole Feedback

Music - 7
Instruments – 8.5
Performance - 8
Mix – 7.5

Overall – 7.75

Comments: The thing that hit me most is the mix. Hard to explain but it sounds like there's no EQ on it. Everything is just flat response. It's clean and I can certainly make out everything but it's just, for lack of a better word, unexciting. The song hook, for me, is kind of annoying. I don't know. Maybe this is supposed to be a parody on something. I know from past contests that you can get really out there. I don't know. Just not feeling this one musically.

Hellfog Feedback

Music – 8.5
Instruments – 9.5
Performance – 9.5
Mix - 9

Overall – 9.125

Comments: Love that sax! Okay, so now we're going somewhere else. I find myself curious to see where you're going with this one with all the changes. That's not a bad thing but it makes it hard to get into a groove and get familiar with the tune. Something like this requires multiple listens. The abrupt end, to be honest, I didn't care for. I was sitting there going “Wait a minute. That's it?” Finish was disappointing for me. But very unusual track. A lot to like about it.

David Stiles Feedback

Music - 10
Instruments – 9.5
Performance - 10
Mix - 9

Overall – 9.625

Comments: OMG, I love this!!!! This is SOOOO messed up. Orchestral chiptune. I would have NEVER thought of it. You sir, are a GENIUS. I wish you could see the big smile on my face right now. Musically flawless. The mix could use a tad of work in a few areas but just a tad. And that's me being nit picky. Bravo!!!

Fuzion Brothers

Music
Instruments
Performance
Mix

Overall

Comments: Well, I'm sorry but I don't like rap and can just about listen to it. In addition to that, it's basically a loop with spoken word thrown on top. The FX are cool and the mix is excellent. The performance, I guess is at least competent. Having to listen to almost 8 minutes of a genre I really don't like was not easy but to be fair to the entrant, I stuck it out. Honestly, I'm not even qualified to comment on this track because I'm not the target audience and this genre is literally only 1 of 2 that I truly can't listen to. I wouldn't even know if this was considered good or bad because it all sounds the same to me. As this will obviously not be in my top 10 tracks, I'm going to refrain from giving scores as they'd be meaningless coming from me. Hopefully, other members here are more into this stuff and can give an objective response.

I like carrots.

wagtunes wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:40 pm Wopelka Feedback (1-10 Scale)

Music - 9
Instruments – 9.5
Performance – 9
Mix – 8.5

Overall - 9

Comments: Nice intro. Very cool sounding. Love that sax! Very odd melody but digging it. Mix is good. Maybe a slight bit of low mid build that could probably use some EQ but not much. All in all, well done. Only beef, maybe a bridge or something to break it up a bit.
Hi Wagtunes,

Thank you for making the old kvr contest spirit live again a little bit with this welcome batch of uncompromised reviews. Coming first, I was very thrilled to get a 9, before understanding that the level was so high that 9 means not so much,at least in terms of chart result expectations. But getting some interesting reviews is even more precious than getting a good final ranking, IMO. I'll try to write something as well.

wagtunes wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:40 pm A major music career that should have happened and never did. Can't help but think what could have been whenever I hear your stuff.

I would have drunk myself to death by now. :hihi:

Wopelka wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:21 am
wagtunes wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:40 pm Wopelka Feedback (1-10 Scale)

Music - 9
Instruments – 9.5
Performance – 9
Mix – 8.5

Overall - 9

Hi Wagtunes,

Thank you for making the old kvr contest spirit live again a little bit with this welcome batch of uncompromised reviews. Coming first, I was very thrilled to get a 9, before understanding that the level was so high that 9 means not so much,at least in terms of chart result expectations. But getting some interesting reviews is even more precious than getting a good final ranking, IMO. I'll try to write something as well.
The quality of the tracks this month was insanely high. I was quite surprised and pleased. I do not expect to do as well as I thought I was going to with my submission. I picked a bad month to enter. :lol:

But it's all good. I'm very curious to see who wins this one. I don't think it's going to be a runaway.

donkey tugger wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:03 am
wagtunes wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:40 pm A major music career that should have happened and never did. Can't help but think what could have been whenever I hear your stuff.

I would have drunk myself to death by now. :hihi:
You wouldn't have been the first.

wagtunes wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:40 pm
David Stiles Feedback

Music - 10
Instruments – 9.5
Performance - 10
Mix - 9

Overall – 9.625

Comments: OMG, I love this!!!! This is SOOOO messed up. Orchestral chiptune. I would have NEVER thought of it. You sir, are a GENIUS. I wish you could see the big smile on my face right now. Musically flawless. The mix could use a tad of work in a few areas but just a tad. And that's me being nit picky. Bravo!!!
Thanks for the kind feedback, wagtunes! I honestly was a bit nervous about how people would react to this track as I haven't tried anything quite like this before, so I'm really glad you liked the track!

wagtunes wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:40 pmLaguna Rising Feedback

Music – 8.5
Instruments - 9
Performance - 10
Mix - 9

Overall – 9.125

Comments: This one really had my foot tapping. The drums are awesome with that funky beat you got going. Musically, it a little all over the place and kind of hard to follow at times. But I like it as it kept me guessing and was never boring. Mix is nice. Some of the instruments sound a little cheesy. But that's just my personal preference. All in all, very cool for what I consider an avant-garde piece. Reminds me a little bit of Gentle Giant.
:oops: Thanks for the kind words :tu:

wagtunes wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:40 pm

Hellfog Feedback

Music – 8.5
Instruments – 9.5
Performance – 9.5
Mix - 9

Overall – 9.125

Comments: Love that sax! Okay, so now we're going somewhere else. I find myself curious to see where you're going with this one with all the changes. That's not a bad thing but it makes it hard to get into a groove and get familiar with the tune. Something like this requires multiple listens. The abrupt end, to be honest, I didn't care for. I was sitting there going “Wait a minute. That's it?” Finish was disappointing for me. But very unusual track. A lot to like about it.

Thanks for the feedback, really appreciate it.
Almost always I do Three or four Act Structure of a song like a movie, Beginning, Middle and A End.
So the parts fit but can be different styles, so it can take several listens before everything clicks for the listener.

Yeah, the end maybe was a bit abrupt, but like 99% finished, nothing that should bother the listener too much I hope.

Reviews:

Wopelka: Urban Smoker. I like the layers. Not sure what the progression or structure is but it does flow. Solid Mix. The key makes me nervously mellow like being in a coffee shop that's about to get robbed.

Donkey: Are you low cutting your vocal? You have more low-end in your voice that should be a calling card. Mulitiband compress your lead low-end and bring it to the front. (Well that doesn't read very well... :clap: ) Super cool accents. More tamborine.

Per99: Well written song. All the parts are well crafted and work together. Think you should end with another chorus after that lead and let the lead rock with it for a bigger ending. That chorus is hook. Nice one.

Laguna: There's that tamborine! Can't really understand what your going for. Those shrill tones piss my ears off. Tempo changes are interesting. Jumpy mountain lizards.

Wags: The accent shaker and the xylophone are to loud. Think you need some claps to give that big swing hair flip and dance move. Even some claps along that snare, 1 2...1 Very Bowie. Just don't sing high and this one is good. More snare. The song is catchy.

Folderol: No reason not to quantize those drums and make them bigger. To much staccato for me. Some instruments it is expected but that organ doesn't need to be so crisp. Very military sounding. I'm gonna drink a beer.

Beanpole: 50's cringe. Close but it's a little to low-fi for even that era. More verb on that kit. Well executed non-the-less. There's 0 bass in that kick. :|

Hellfog: Intro is nice. 1:38 Drop! Ok so...there's some really cool things going on here. I was about to write the piano was to simple in the jazz section and then it dropped into this beautiful piano part. Jazz people jam together as a group. The piano chords from :40-1:30 could noodle along with the sax. You should keep developing this.

Davidstiles: Hmm...Very interesting concerto indeed. Multi-tracked like a pro. The only thing I'm missing is the one glue tone that ties the whole thing together. Each segment is cool on it's own but maybe a consistent bass tone through most of it would make me happier. Retro Gamers, here it is.

Fuzion Bros: First, Welcome to the Hunger Games. Vocal is brilliant. Really. Gotta have more flow from that bass. Singer 2 is dope with the wide panned accents. The breaks aren't impressive enough musically with that basic keyboard lead and 80's tone. Needs a sub counter part to that kick also. Put some more layers on this and that's on the radio. Vocals are Pro-Grade recording. Well done! Winner.

Tbase2000 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:07 pm
Wags: The accent shaker and the xylophone are to loud. Think you need some claps to give that big swing hair flip and dance move. Even some claps along that snare, 1 2...1 Very Bowie. Just don't sing high and this one is good. More snare. The song is catchy.
As our taste in music is a Grand Canyon apart, I'll take your remarks with a very tiny grain of salt.

wagtunes
Tbase2000
Thanks for the reviews. A bit surprised, but I'm a big boy now, so I'll take it on the chin.
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

folderol wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:24 pm wagtunes
Tbase2000
Thanks for the reviews. A bit surprised, but I'm a big boy now, so I'll take it on the chin.
Thought I'd give you a heads up. You missed your vote for Hellfog. It's top 10 and you only voted for 8 not including the new guy.

Return to “Music Cafe”