Professional music school

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

telecode wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:26 pm - don't get married or settle down because it will have a serious impact on your creative goals
He said he's italian.. They don't have any other women in their lives but their moms :hihi:

But that is so true.. Unless the woman is your partner in crime, she'll slow you down.

You say that you are passionate about music. It seems to me that if it was genuinely such a passionate force in your life, you would have picked up an instrument and started learning to play by now. Loving music as a consumer and daydreaming of a steady job making music for games will not get you there.

As others have already explained, stable, salaries positions in the game and film industries are few and far between. Virtually nonexistent, actually. I had a friend who had a salaried job at one of the big game companies for twenty years. Then they laid him off and hired him back as a freelancer.

The harsh reality is that this dream job of yours probably isn’t going to happen. But if you are truly as passionate about music as you say you are, that shouldn’t stop you. Learn an instrument. That’s a good place to start. Learn everything you can about performance techniques and music theory and composition and music production and audio engineering and sound design. If you want to make music for games, you should be equally passionate about games, and knowledgeable about all of the technologies and craft that go into making them. Immerse yourself in this world. It still may never lead to a monetary reward, but if that is your main motivation, you’re getting into it for the wrong reason.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

deastman wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:18 pm It still may never lead to a monetary reward, but if that is your main motivation, you’re getting into it for the wrong reason.
Spot on!

Honestly i think If i wanted to go to a professional music school I would have done it by now this far in my life. Going to music school is one of those things you do after already spending at least 4-5 years learning at your local music store school.

Once you get to a certain level with that and want to do it "professionally" then you head to music school and learn the academic side which will ultimately earn you a degree.

Also usually most music school require you to be proficient in a instrument before you even get in.
:borg:

V0RT3X wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:46 pm Honestly i think If i wanted to go to a professional music school I would have done it by now this far in my life. Going to music school is one of those things you do after already spending at least 4-5 years learning at your local music store school.

Once you get to a certain level with that and want to do it "professionally" then you head to music school and learn the academic side which will ultimately earn you a degree.

Also usually most music school require you to be proficient in a instrument before you even get in.
I am in the minority here and will run from the flames once i post this. I really don't think music school is for people who want to get into making commercial music. The only thing that will come out of music school is you will become a music teacher in your local area. If you are very very lucky and very very very very good, you might get a job playing in an orchestra.
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

Dj Fugo wrote:i don't play instrument, and i'have never studied music in my life :party: :tu:
But i have a great passoin! :)
I missed this earlier, but if you are looking to work as a composer it's likely to be a pretty big problem.

If you can say you don't play an instrument and have never studied music, it makes me think you are looking for an easy route to get paid for something you would love to do.

If you are truly serious about doing this as a career, you need to be able to say "I am learning a musical instrument and I am studying music". Even if you start today, I think you need to be in a position to say this.
Sweet child in time...

Dj Fugo wrote:i don't play instrument, and i'have never studied music in my life :party: :tu:
You can be a DJ/Producer and co own label with guy from other thread who can write, produce, mix and master EDM, he will make and produce music for everyone involved, than look for local venues where you can play, if there's not much happening, organize your own label parties with free entrance and cheap booze for starters, make a thing out if it, let it grow slowly, hire more DJ's, he will produce for everyone on board and win-win, everybody's working and earning a living.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=522555

I'm not kidding, this is the most realistic and least time consuming scenario you can pull off, DJ-ing can benefit you as an artist and obviously ensure you can keep paying rent without working second job, it will give you all sorts of connections.

a good podcast on the topic of passion vs career.

btw it's entirely feasible and realistic to assume you have a much better chance of making money playing poker than you do music ;-)

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/workli ... oplay=true

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

🎵 EXPOSED: How The Music Industry Works Documentary (Share This With Every Artist You Know!

https://www.youtube.com/embed/2dJQdF7cvbU

Your passion is most likely to get you in debt, a debt so huge you'll have to fake your death in order to be free of it, or false-flag an event in order to raise enough charity money to pay them.

You'll have to use masonic symbology in all your music videos such as being in a birdcage, being rebaptised in a tub, Eye of Horus, Foot Locker stripes, pyramid handsigns, magic circles...and baby-blood transfusions in a vain attempt to keep young. Your debts are so huge you'll need to live a few hundred years to pay them off.

Now you're so famous, you need to hire bodyguards to protect you 24/7, and be as cunning as a fox to escape the constant paparazzi surveillance. And with every fan you have, you have an equal amount of haters. You'll wish you would have stayed as a humble dj. :dog:

Hey guys! Sorry for the late reply! I've been away a few days ..!
Here I wanted to clarify something ... I don't want to become a famous producer or make my way in the career as an artist. I find this very difficult. For this reason I had thought of undertaking a completely different carrera, that is, performing sound engineer jobs in a video game company, because it is a very solid industry, and fielding skills such as mixing, creativity, and composition, so making my experience work in this area ... and doing the job I like the most. I'm not aiming for strong companies ... but for smaller companies. This intention started when I saw my brother's girlfriend leaving for Canada, hired by a film production company. She had only studied a year, presented her portfolio to many companies, and one of them recruited her. Here, let's say, if she did it, why shouldn't I do it? I've been making music for a lot longer, I'm very skilled now. I only wonder if 3D graphics production companies are a very different field ... if the same rules apply as in the field of music, as far as recruitment is concerned.
deastman wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:18 pm You say that you are passionate about music. It seems to me that if it was genuinely such a passionate force in your life, you would have picked up an instrument and started learning to play by now. Loving music as a consumer and daydreaming of a steady job making music for games will not get you there.

As others have already explained, stable, salaries positions in the game and film industries are few and far between. Virtually nonexistent, actually. I had a friend who had a salaried job at one of the big game companies for twenty years. Then they laid him off and hired him back as a freelancer.

The harsh reality is that this dream job of yours probably isn’t going to happen. But if you are truly as passionate about music as you say you are, that shouldn’t stop you. Learn an instrument. That’s a good place to start. Learn everything you can about performance techniques and music theory and composition and music production and audio engineering and sound design. If you want to make music for games, you should be equally passionate about games, and knowledgeable about all of the technologies and craft that go into making them. Immerse yourself in this world. It still may never lead to a monetary reward, but if that is your main motivation, you’re getting into it for the wrong reason.
In Canada there is a great growth in the video games sector, and lately I have discovered that they are looking at your portfolio much more than their educational qualifications. You just have to send emails to the recruiters on linkedin and see if they like your way of working, then they hire you as a junior and from there you have to start from scratch because juniors do the most stupid things, but it seems to work that way, let's say.
Deep Purple wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:20 pm
I missed this earlier, but if you are looking to work as a composer it's likely to be a pretty big problem.

If you can say you don't play an instrument and have never studied music, it makes me think you are looking for an easy route to get paid for something you would love to do.

If you are truly serious about doing this as a career, you need to be able to say "I am learning a musical instrument and I am studying music". Even if you start today, I think you need to be in a position to say this.
I don't know, I've never even studied a little notion of harmony, but if I let myself be carried away by the notes I have in my head I can also make music in classical style. Obviously this is an experiment done in two afternoons: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOfrWSkbA9E

But I think that studying harmony could be very useful to me!
On the contrary, playing an instrument, I don't feel that it would lead me to grow musically ... I rather feel that it could help me analyze the sheet music of the songs. When I have reproduce the melody of a song I usually use my ear.

Dj Fugo wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:56 pm performing sound engineer jobs in a video game company, because it is a very solid industry
Speaking as somebody who has some exposure to this, the video game industry is many things but it is not solid. This is as much of a "hire fast, fire much faster" industry as it can get.
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

mgw38 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:11 pm
Dj Fugo wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:56 pm performing sound engineer jobs in a video game company, because it is a very solid industry
Speaking as somebody who has some exposure to this, the video game industry is many things but it is not solid. This is as much of a "hire fast, fire much faster" industry as it can get.
..And, is it very different from the 3d animation industry? Just out of curiosity..Is being taken by a video game company as easy / difficult as being taken by a film company?

Dj Fugo wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:41 pm
mgw38 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:11 pm
..And, is it very different from the 3d animation industry? Just out of curiosity..Is being taken by a video game company as easy / difficult as being taken by a film company?
The 3d animation industry is at least 90% freelance. Regular employment in that industry is incredibly rare. You constantly have to compete with people who sometimes have decades of experience. Very difficult to break in.

There is a pocket of game development companies in Canada which might explain the example of your brother's girlfriend you were mentioning. These companies followed the tax incentives of the Canadien government. But other than that, things tend to be very volatile.
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

Dj Fugo wrote:I don't know, I've never even studied a little notion of harmony, but if I let myself be carried away by the notes I have in my head I can also make music in classical style. Obviously this is an experiment done in two afternoons: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOfrWSkbA9E

But I think that studying harmony could be very useful to me!
On the contrary, playing an instrument, I don't feel that it would lead me to grow musically ... I rather feel that it could help me analyze the sheet music of the songs. When I have reproduce the melody of a song I usually use my ear.
It's definitely something that most people would not be capable of putting together, but it sounds very mechanical and repetitive. If you learn to play with the natural articulations that would come from an instrument that you have become proficient on, and learn something about harmony and composition then re-record this, you would realize that the difference between this and what someone with some instruction behind them is capable of is night and day.

I don't mean to be unduly critical of your efforts, but my honest opinion is that this has a very amateur an unoriginal feel to it. In particular the stilted playing stands out and makes this feel like it was made by a machine rather than a human. Like I said, I don't want to make you think you haven't achieved anything so far, but it's a long way from something that would be accepted as the output of a professional.

Hope that makes sense, and hope you take it as constructive criticism rather than anything else.
Sweet child in time...

OP, I am in Canada and in Toronto. I can chime in and offer a little perspective.

There is a thing they say about Canada. It's a country that was built by miners and lumberjacks that's still run by miners and lumberjacks who don't know their ass from a hole in the ground. All they are good at is cutting down trees and digging holes in the ground and selling what they find to the highest bidder. Currently the biggest thing on their minds is trying to make big holes through mountains in order to stick big pipes in it and get oil to the BC coast to sell to Chinese.

But anyways..., back to music and entertainment. First, you want to put things it perspective and realize you are opting to try to make a career/living in what the government and economists labels as the "culture industry". Music, film, museums, radio, tv, art galleries, poetry.. they are all part of the "culture" industry. The amount of money the government dishes out for the culture sector compared to other sectors is peanuts because quite frankly, the culture industry employees very little people.

But that being said, it has always been that way. So don't let "it's really hard to get a job" discourage you. The trick is, if you really want to do it, get in early, and start young and stick with it as long as you can handle.

Its not true that its made up of self made portfolio people. There are actually dedicated college level programs and some colleges specialize in training people for those jobs and its really really hard to get into those programs because there are a gazillion applicants for each spot. For the good colleges at least. Sheridan is very well know and they supply the people that go off to Disney and Pixar later on. I believe the way it works is, the best of the best get intern jobs and then get hired if they work out. But don't quote me on that. Bottom line, every geek that likes computer programming but would much rather work on computer games than code php based web sites and mysql code statements -- their dream job is to work on games and graphics.

Yes, its true, the industry is made up of freelance project based employees.

Lastly, I am in Toronto and yes, it's true, its a big film production city. Note the statement, "film production". Meaning film companies from the US come here to make and shoot their films because its cheaper than making in LA or NYC. I have quite a few friends that are in the industry. The ones that work on sets are freelance but they have unions. Quite frankly, those jobs are anything but glamorous. Shitty and weird hours and lots of waking up at 2am or 3am and 15 hour work days on set when they are working. Its fun when you're young but as you get older it take its toll. Many drop out of the industry to get regular jobs.

Lastly, when you refer to Canada, Canada is a big fuggin place. When you talk film and computer games what you are really talking about is two places. Toronto and Vancouver. Maybe Halifax. The rest of the 99% of the country is just trees, farms, hickers, moose, bears, lots of geese that walk around thinking they own the f**king place. :-)

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”