Essential effect plugins recommendation for Voiceover/podcast , please.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all,

Bought my first condenser mic, LCT 441 Flex and would like to do some kind of voice over for product sharing, indoor vlogging etc. My DAW is Cubase 9.5/Live 10 running windows 10.

Budget is bit tight and would like to spend not more than $150 for all those essential plugins for post processing. Some plugins categories that came to my mind are EQs, compressor, limiter, reverb ?

Have no experience on mixing vocal/voiceover, please share your thoughts on the captioned plugins.

Cheers!
Cowby

The stuff in Live should be good enough to get started; you can decide from there what you're actually using.

For podcasting I'd say some kind of noise reduction and expansion/gating will also be useful. Alternating voice and silence, with strong compression for a consistent level/"radio sound", makes the background noise floor very noticable.

The most important thing will be setting up a nice-sounding dry environment for recording. Very hard to get a pro sound from a bad room. If you can get a very dry sound then that's great, you can add a pleasant ambience with *subtle* reverb.

You may check our LDC2 Compander: https://www.audiority.com/shop/ldc2-compander/

Cheers,
Luca

You can get iZotope RX Elements for something like $30 this weekend on sale, which includes a plugin and standalone editor - I've used it on recorded voiceovers for radio/podcasts and it does wonders for cleaning things up. Klevgrand Brusfri is also supposed to be pretty good for noise reduction. I would concur, though, that a good environment is also key (or, failing that, as much protection as you can get on the mic, pop filters etc). I actually went through every room in my house and tested voiceovers on my recorder - some rooms were quite amazing echo chambers, but not great for understandability of the resulting audio :)

I recommend Wave Arts Dialog .
The name speaks for it self (pun intended).

https://www.modularfreq.com/wave-arts/dialog

I’d recomend a decent wave editor. There’s a new sound forge audio studio that looks like good bang for buck. https://www.magix.com/au/music/sound-fo ... io-studio/

With dialogue there’s no secret weapon other than good eq and compression techniques that can be achieved with basic stock effects. Check out the free Reaper effects the eq and comp are great.

I would also second the idea of grabbing izotope rx right now. Spectral editing is an insanely useful tool for cleaning dialogue and making it clear and legibile when mixed with other sounds.

Nathan

iZotope Nectar Elements is currently on sale.
Signatures are so early 2000s.

oops
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

oops
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

imrae wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:26 am
The most important thing will be setting up a nice-sounding dry environment for recording. Very hard to get a pro sound from a bad room. If you can get a very dry sound then that's great, you can add a pleasant ambience with *subtle* reverb.
Microphone isolation shields can help make a room sound better for vocal work. There are plenty of DIY versions too.
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/sound-s ... reflectors

All DAWs will come with the essential plugins, you can get what you need to get started with a free DAW. The most important part is having a decent mic in a decent room which seems you've already sorted out.

Having said that, IMO the most important investment anyone can make to expand on the DAW effects is ToneBoosters BusTools 3:
https://www.toneboosters.com/tb_bustools_v3.html

The tools are of generally higher quality than your typical DAW stuff, but they also expand with tools that wouldn't come with the DAW. For instance, Sibalance is great for cleaning up harshness in your recording. And Evoke alone might be all you need to process your voice recordings.

Wave Arts Dialog is worth consideration for podcasting.

Dialog is a great channel strip, but its user interface can be a bit challenging for beginners.

I usually recommend the iZotope Elements bundle, especially when it’s on special at US$79. There’s a lot of overlap between the two, but the user interface on Elements is a lot more forgiving and understandable for the starting producer.

Especially the assistant in RX Elements and Nectar Elements (less so in the music plugins, whose assistant suggestions are a bit too aggressive for podcasts). And the “learn” function in the Neutron EQ, which can help a lot as an aid to developing an ear for EQ.

imrae wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:26 am The stuff in Live should be good enough to get started; you can decide from there what you're actually using.

For podcasting I'd say some kind of noise reduction and expansion/gating will also be useful. Alternating voice and silence, with strong compression for a consistent level/"radio sound", makes the background noise floor very noticable.

Most of this

One more thing to consider is a de-esser. It looks like one is included in the iZotope Elements Bundle, and for podcasting, it should be good enough (you can alway buy a better or dedicated one later).

Definitely focus more on the performance than the post-edit/clean-up. It won't be worthwhile to create podcasts/vlogs on the regular if you have to do too much in post to "rescue" your voice.

Ideally, you can find a sweet spot, create presets and just rinse/repeat as needed.

There are some very nice freebies from Sonic Anomaly: http://sonic.supermaailma.net/plugins

I use Fuse Audio Labs VCL-373 for compression, it works wonders on podcasts.
It's easy if you know how

Return to “Effects”