MSoundfactory design thread

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

David wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:21 am I've no doubt what you describe, nichttuntun, is exactly what most who love MSF love about it, too!

I'm certainly with you, too, but I've also no doubt that bmanic is spot on with this:
Bigger, more complex, more options, is definitely not at all always better.. and most definitely not for the masses. Every single hugely successful synth out there has sold well because of two things: Ease of use (which does NOT mean it's simplistic!) and amazing presets + possibility of buying a large library of more presets for it.
MSF is definitely at or near the top in the "bigger, more complex, more options" category as well as in the "blank canvas" category, but it's hardly at all easy to use with a large library of amazing presets with many more available all the time from many sound designers.

Hopefully, there will be more designers like Simon Stockhausen who create global presets for edit-mode users, though I so far only know of 2 others…but I wonder how well these guys are doing with their patch sales, since as a "blank-canvas, DIY" sort like you myself, who thinks bigger and more complex is definitely better, or at least as fascinating as having lots of immediately available great sounds, as with eg. Omnisphere, I'm not really all that eager to buy other people's MSF global-preset patches. I'd love to hear them, but I want to tweak any patches by others I find in any synth, and edit mode even for already-made patches doesn't exactly wear its powers on its sleeves for easy, quick access, nor do global presets feel, to me anyway, as easy and quick to run through as the presets in most other synths…

As far as I can tell, I'm also in an even smaller group of MSF users, as well:
A: Full-version users who want to explore the endless potentials of device design for their own pleasures and unique desires.
IOW, those who are interested in designing Devices for it, and have read this thread through many times over, AND watched all the official and chandler videos on device design, AND have made quite a lot of devices already. The unique powers devices offer that I particularly appreciate (as I've described in several previous posts right here) grabbed me right away with MSF, and they have kept me interested ever since…but I have yet to see any great flowering of other devices, or heard any rumblings from any growing masses of similarly enthralled device makers! This thread alone until just recently has been like an abandoned factory for many months:)

What I fervently hope for, and think will be absolutely necessary for MSF to ever flourish with the "masses" of "most users" who only want quick results with a bunch of already created great sounds, will be even one great device that pulls together both many of MSF's great and unique sound potentials and is easy to save new presets for, so that the masses can look no further, and feel that MSF's potential has already been realized. In short, MSF needs to have at least one [even mini-]Massive already inside it!

I still don't really get bmanic's vision of a bunch of sort of upper-level, easier to use modules or macros, since I can't see how these would ever be easy to combine together to create new sounds with, for users who don't want to use, or don't have access to, edit mode, or how even a lot of them would ever be very compelling without the possibility to regroup them into something more personal, or could ever really give the feeling of access to MSF's truly unique versatility and depth. Altho in another sense you might argue that the existing devices are already good examples of this idea.

But I hope he's right, and/or that he or some others can give that idea a good workout, or that the great device-genius will appear. It'd be a great shame if the fantastic potential of MSF remains only appreciated by the likes of…well, me! I've never been a good example of what the "masses" will like. In MY experience, in SO many areas, anything that I truly love and can buy, will surely be discontinued sooner rather than later, in favor of other things that I didn't really like at all!
Hi !

I really think that MSF can absolutely talk to the " masse ", the " advanced sound designer" and everybody in between.

I mean, everyone can find his share cake with ease:

i can understand that someone wouldn't even look at MSF because if you have just started or don't want to bother with all those details, you could feel this " way too much complicated for what i need " sensation fro MSF and just want a synth with cool preset that you could quickly choose without thinking. that's why i think it's important, like you said, to have more, preset bank/ instrument device with a great quality of sound. also let's not forget that the gui can be fully customizable , so with a good design and interesting sound it could peek the interest off many people ( disclaimer : im in peace with the meldaproduction gui :hihi: but we cannot ignore the fact that's the gui is a factor that matter )

If you are in between, you know a little beat about sound design and know what you need to tweak or add to obtained a certain sound from an already made preset, you can just utilise the knob in the easy gui or even start to scratch the surface of the edit mode ( if it's not locked ).

then if you are an advanced sound designer you could just run crazy inside the edit mode and do whatever you like. and even in this case it's awesome that you still could find an interest in having edit mode preset and learn from that!

in brief, once you know what MSF could possibly do and possibly be, you can only fall for it. at this point i think that is only a marketing position to adopt. like " how do we make them understand that it is a product for everyone" ( simple preset user to advanced sound designer) / " how do we make them understand that MSF could be a CRAZY self sufficient system." ...

Thats maybe where we need to think. MSF is already on the perfect road as it is, but the delivery is still ( imo ) oriented toward user who already know where they are despite the fact that MSF can be to everyone and even can give the desire to dive more into the sound design world.

what do you think ?

im sorry if you find spelling or grammar mistake, i'm still working on my english! :wink:

( OUT OF SUBJET: recently i've tried the ep piano made by chandler with the lo-fi effect and i just thought " ... hold up! we could offer well crafted fx preset that we can apply in ALL the the preset bank and instrument device inside MSF ( and that's come with the fact that you can tweak it really precisely in edit mode) .... THATS CRAZY!!! that may make people want to invest in MXXX later )

Hello love MSF so far! Still wrapping my head around all the good features. Q: Why is there no Sequencer or Arp module for the generator section? All I have seen is the global arpeggiator.. Am I just missing it?

C.Ray wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:23 am Hello love MSF so far! Still wrapping my head around all the good features. Q: Why is there no Sequencer or Arp module for the generator section? All I have seen is the global arpeggiator.. Am I just missing it?
You can transform any of the 8 LFOs into a step sequencer.

C.Ray wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:23 am Hello love MSF so far! Still wrapping my head around all the good features. Q: Why is there no Sequencer or Arp module for the generator section? All I have seen is the global arpeggiator.. Am I just missing it?
In this thread, vojtech says why:

viewtopic.php?p=7592246

There's also a link there showing how to get multiple arps going, by launching multiple MSFs in the FX grid.

… and to some other relevant threads about sequencing without MIDI as Simon suggests.

Fingers crossed that MIDI eventually makes its way into the grids!

Okay thanks. I guess LFO's will do!

Sampleconstruct wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:07 am
You can transform any of the 8 LFOs into a step sequencer.
And btw - One of my feature requests was implemented, meaning the LFO start can be synchronized to the ARP start/wrap over, see: viewtopic.php?p=7615616#p7615616

BTW here's the Current Version of Kraftwerk RobotBass + Snare + BDR Single Finger Patch ... enjoy.
(Click "select all" in the code window. Press "Ctrl-C" for copy. Goto MSF. Open Tool-Section. Press "Paste Icon")

Code: Select all

$eNrdW1tT4zgWfudXuMzWPg2Jbrak3SRTJhA6M6QJhKYvW1tTJhGOB8fO2E5D5mF++5Yk30LiOPQwvVvLA9jSpyOdT0dHR8ei8+PzIjC+ijjxo7BrwhYwDRFOo5kfel1zlT6cMPPH3lFnNIlW4WzgTtMoXiciTf3QS4zjrglN43jgB6mIB1EQRE+jKIy6JmgBwPWPjSnCpnF8EfgzcesvhKyFQP1ASpml6qJ7N0hu3fuuiUzjeLKIonR+Ggs3ne8UpgHnz8tYJHrktaBBLH5biXC63oMZuX4Im+pBE6BRAmoC4CYAaQJYTQC7AdA0xqYhNo2waYBN46MN9ayhnu+rj2Yf50IEeyBjP53OT0U424eRRrmKxR7IZJWkrr-PbG-9xf1eEXciiKZ+ur56eNiJuov8qR96ak1B0+hHQeAuEzG78b15OnZDpaZp9FdxLMJUjlmkw7Ou+W9jLFIR-+Od8a8-nJtx8sdNdB+lxqmbJMaTn86Ns3i1SEzjfOanUTzxfxddE1oc-mATu1p67ibrrskZ-IEC2zTeXX9YJu5iGSjHAkzj8mayDPw0FQoNuyZkiLWAjS1mo5fVqGsSG7Y4tgnEzDRG7vPl4Oo0iKaPegQYmcZoFaT+2I3dhVQgKTRW3d3lLo5DZiFm9jqT1f04WHl+mHm1Xke-Tja9286uJiIQ01TMdIuuSX6AwOx1rlbpcpVC4zx07wPdcTsvRS9KddMkfzBO3fCxH63CVPUq3z4sZ24qRuOuaRqDVRC8d6XzvEqmfhC4aRQbanTJ4zBUGr6sNo1PqvyzFNjrSImgXaPkcV+EadI1aUu6X2Xko2gmuubQC6NYGJ503rLm40gaG2Kmcfwh9JMo1EppIdWSCvs1JPY6k7m7FMbk9nw8vjmfnN+q4X51g5WUByVJ7c3RFgV-hjW0wZp8vFqlat-ZySB8HYMn8CAGMWDfQNjo6kwKMEqNz8RSb5FIAW5ApS6Jp6BrXg6uDM1l1vq-xTvezTup4R0dyPvVNHW-CsX8XuLf1DjxX0US2U0SqyEJv5oke5OkfhQmqRumpWVCLiETsfDTKJRNIGgByjCwECFkL5HHd1Gw0gEep+R-YNW-j-xEXIhQxDv8ZUEutHN2FV4RSw4jtmZzkHwQi9mQEw4qGr1agZH-LNS4h+FylWYtcPY6DGfiGShdyneoJJbvSK0k9T5JhRuAsl69wxfvKNNL00TzR1Wn3isDMw29teUdyxVYKUG6pNiFyLew+SfIuxFfRXwv2au+VwZkNa6bcZT4qR+FskmLcA4Qh8hGkFTqPqvwC1MEOAYII0uuH92Xm2ZnEwpZUVi4bELVWUdpCloQUkIglY0-+jMRqjgJthBhb06MPq8ZxY6n3yvEsEZinMWyEs4YxwM51y1bDrbGvdyul6Jrvhsb9l+lD6zVRwVn+xU662d-Y-+rDrtp-qZVAS2LYK0pbFGMIGFQTvfeTedatVMO1U1XcWEPABeMXI4NRPZt+IN8S0eV7d5mG7s9ynf78-Crobd+2DXzI4JpPEPt2hmHiukbuBUnVMD6pGsBaY154DDQg7neFXsAwnbHHu+jVBixG86ihYEKUddv6OGzqa-EFmzXtplbRMU7AeVIyz202UQGXdNuYZtl87o1qYTgNzdtvaMaf3cXy38aYzeMYnfhlpZ+FwVjN6xaOmr2aZkUNXMQAsAhJZhz+J0GjxrmKtdpz1w1K1lGIghwbhObI4t-r+mpWCO0dwYau3Uk1dDjNTpaGALEbQ6ARd9cx0t-4W+416yganW4abBOmrrTR+0jB26SmsalHz72524YiiDRCYEoenTmwp2dicBdZyHajvDqRgTCTURV1sSfif7c9cNx3rIomYhpFM7ceJ31lZ2+v5WMfrRQOcfNaHKnHZfQHba8HTiV1t1I5rGncke8ZctYXSVV0tVMKE+ktJ+7wYPGgLqdxYvd5bzXGUd+mBqDwPWS064JiTrYvCwEpvGszMw01vrvDhBUIJhBKCbMpojYMl0j+c76ezPHX5kI1Ljc6qeC1EwFed1UQNCCMinyfzIX7SI5tY3ZSpsdVTJpn-5cEk3S-a15MWexLF2Us1hW3BM6JJztz93YnaYiVqyq9IyzWJbhIMlwOmq788PU9YS0veOzeP1RpLqZDBrPfytCY9nmwvVDZY9Wi1vo7YPfwA09seGOalZBhty366BvOaL1OqPh2fBGJpDbvU6y43j-lmd6tTuUM61eK3PdvGIfhJjdu9NHtTQIQBaXv+1iLYMWosCCnDD5OytW8TNmFAKbMgiZhC+imcxbj-3QG0ehZxrHyyK0UsmoZB1O9flaPaLyMRChl85-+UXWGm2Z9dkoRkXxVno+780gb25Jmtlmb5pRXm9Fr5sDYsMK9xiSlxxvUPyC0xoi0-VSTs1ZlKZi1kzUYf7uU++oo+MY2Ouch19FEC2Fcf7+Ljd0LTSH5GDUDEYFGDeDcQEmzWBSgK1msFWA7WawXYBpM5gWYNYMZr0jiYFZ0KhW9pmYuvoLLkIWJIBRxCyWlauMYtc8AS0mz9pZgKjQnFOIEKC4LM-Q0DQqX+Egts1e5zYWiyiIJrtdmDy7Zk12nYKhXXMKfnmyRghRRorjcCay12lLpbXuqNS9BTBiCFLKGcaW7C-ImMCYY2RDRimhjYOXwpEWjg-BYo0lh2CJxlqHYC2NtQ-B2hpLD8FSjWWHYKWB6SsHMl2y28psABhCBBIKt6xMpgCqRiZPX4AQAreM7AS0pOVVDE2mBw8xNNXlzmQLt5uTLeUHHyWn12kX+vaOOpeDq8o3Smgal8qL6l3rxk2VVgxSDKFlUcCZWZeuN9taHCpEIHNLH4XAOzusQ5NGhNWIsBsRtBHB9iNuFNtQzqcbJg9RvFDJoKpj0xF3DsyboEOboKIJPrQJLpqQQ5vIBfyzWCdTNxAHaFNCy2bo8GZSp9wnHtrlC-wLAeiVAqoj2Hl6Uk6AA0AIIpQynQfdd8qCG530jsrx5LdBXg6pCskvlXzaA8ovp+yB6DsjlOyB6DtVAO2BlLeqINwDy3fCeoR0SFcPD9sIdRVM+76tusvBVdKTv8GGw9i4xYWB-BBjEYwseSRRIeJ7OfWBPD-mF0BUZHsjjzwqLh25z3faa4GWvGBS4HRQW34lPDHy7wnl40k5ANMoxQAIKeOIY8az4lN3+rhaqrOgCmmKk5HhxEv1oNSpqjbyw9xu9EUeZJmG4i7MUlmhF4jJPEqz9mqPmPhe6AZGHktl2wOs99Rl3PWqTAMUJxAoEz+B+-IRBCFsA0QYIbRcEXVoXvzsEY2z9ZXt2tnY21rzXmeyDqe1u9h4rjdn1VhaU29716vY1OFmtMdsanL1xknxUtrOtrnUW0sx273OJBVLY5iKRXYZEds2p4hQzm1uqgq4I62vynULaFsQUxtCjLNymIUwkCPbBhhDmlVgzaR61rf6IJOZJISBTfOK-Dqf7AtCC2Mrb27X1tDaGlY3eH1rDxKbMsY55IzpClRXXqMtyuhBjBCAbYyLiuzeI8WYE8ItznFGKMpuPObKcy6vrKoaok0Z2UQmDBjMRossFfhxhollMXkhLx+V4oQzaENqIy6voelyqhtQyokMuQgmWQUv5wDXsYZhCSI1BFo15XadGWVzZFmAWIxCzq1sSKyGcb5NuDTWil9KxVIC80sMyj1eLXWmNEzyFXuixkkho2pFfNtqhz0dlH7-1Y6Kmvq1rnzd6zus3hKSPkUGDcaJUdzUkaG7EqOSw9-gXuovO2WOpzKh0u6pachkaKKzP+oRlY+kfLS7Jgb7Z-PlDKLe9qHh+8wgbp5BeAiZW+xlbjtfqmhj1Z6UCzJ-pNpZUAAAl7urWcc-LJnG5aNVPtJm-vetJqz-JL2jTj8K0zgKAhEnWVyy8VntqONMU-+r0OnK4s7xbSw0i-J2sI5F+m4qvCheS0WH4UNkjN0keYriWdeU3WZpz20JehYrAiapm4peZyDkp3iRqC7yG6ly-C9w7Uxyr+OM9ShV3qkyaqlEvNwgRwZjOUEqZyx-bK5OAHJOkjwN7qax-9z7m3i--PXifOE8fnn3W+h9+NKfjqPhr5On+7nT-2nM-bPPbH526n2+cJw4dBzRaWctO-qeXlXOtfPzaH365DuT0en10L3pj86cJ8dx+uDaGXrdbqe90aY41mzKcEe-9ufT0YVz3r+96o8G3uR5OBk+3Xzw3KfLnzzHJ1eD68niM-ZGvw-Xjue8W3qOVx5ocumaharszxfO+fXTl4v+8H593Z8MPW91+qX-rj917q4HM8+5db7cnX7+stbqpk9O-7zbaW-I6bSdeCn-x0Rd20a9zkd-ls7lPdVoFU+FMY7FgwrDs6vjcsZySDtvdNRp7-oflaR39B8xzi5n

BTW here's the Current Version of Kraftwerk RobotBass + Snare + BDR Single Finger Patch ... enjoy.
this is brilliant! Thanks!

Hi I have a few questions about preset management:

1. I use two different computers. What's the best way to share presets between my two machines? Also need to consider that I'm using the Sample oscillator sometimes. One thing that sometimes works is storing a folder in Dropbox and them symlinking it. I am curious how other people approach this with MSF – I do see that it has the ability to import and export preset folders.

2. If I create a bunch of global presets that all have the same module structure, is there a way to convert them to device presets for a single device? Basically I created a bunch of presets with the intention of including them in a device. Now I'd like to merge them into a device.

3. Can I re-organize factory Global Presets and Devices? I created a folder called "Factory" (for Global Presets – I don't see a way to create a folder in Devices). But, I'm not able to drag the folders around in the preset browser. I would like some way of tucking the factory content out of the way so I can focus on my own stuff.

padillac wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:39 am Hi I have a few questions about preset management:

1. I use two different computers. What's the best way to share presets between my two machines? Also need to consider that I'm using the Sample oscillator sometimes. One thing that sometimes works is storing a folder in Dropbox and them symlinking it. I am curious how other people approach this with MSF – I do see that it has the ability to import and export preset folders.

2. If I create a bunch of global presets that all have the same module structure, is there a way to convert them to device presets for a single device? Basically I created a bunch of presets with the intention of including them in a device. Now I'd like to merge them into a device.

3. Can I re-organize factory Global Presets and Devices? I created a folder called "Factory" (for Global Presets – I don't see a way to create a folder in Devices). But, I'm not able to drag the folders around in the preset browser. I would like some way of tucking the factory content out of the way so I can focus on my own stuff.
No idea about 1.

On 2 and 3, I'm no authority, but here's what I understand/have been doing:

2. No.
The thing about Device presets, AFAIUnderstand, is that they only record parameter changes to the controls on the Easy Screen, while Global Presets record any- and everything that you can change in EDIT mode. So, to create Device presets, you need to do so from the Easy Screen using the preset manager there. That's the only way to get them.

Since you mention using samples, this may be relevant: If you save a new copy of a Device, the Presets the original device had at the time are NOT transferred to the new version automatically You can export them from the first one and import them into the 2nd one, but they may not work as expected if you changed some parameters or modules that the 1st one's Easy Screen depended on.

But if for instance you created a device that uses samples and all you've changed for a new version is to swap in new samples that aren't involved in any Easy Screen controls, importing the previous presets will work fine. They may need tweaking to suit the new samples, but they'll do the same thing to the Easy Screen controls that they did in the first device.

3. You can definitely reorganize the Device browser, on a system level. It just reflects what your MSoundFactoryInstruments folder has in it, so you can go there and set it up as you want, keeping .minstrument files together with their .presets files.

You can also move Device presets to a new device simply by duplicating the original .presets file in the MSoundFactoryInstruments folder, then rename the dup to match the new Device (.minstrument) file name.

On the Mac, the MSoundFactoryInstruments folder is here:

HTH—and doesn't contain any mis-info!!
Last edited by David on Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

1. can upload it and download via MSF itself. (Exchange Library) / I usually pull presets on an USB stick or send it via Email to myself :)

How about adding a glide/legato feature?

That already exists. Look in the advanced settings on the globals page ;)
My Setup.
Now goes by Eurydice(Izzy) - she/her :hug:

dakkra wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:26 am That already exists. Look in the advanced settings on the globals page ;)
Oh, that's great! Thanks for pointing it out. 8)

David wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:02 am The thing about Device presets, AFAIUnderstand, is that they only record parameter changes to the controls on the Easy Screen, while Global Presets record any- and everything that you can change in EDIT mode. So, to create Device presets, you need to do so from the Easy Screen using the preset manager there. That's the only way to get them.
If the presets only record Easy Screen parameters, it seems like I should be able to copy the easy screen params from a global preset and paste it into a device preset? Because my global presets have the exact same structure and easy screen. Basically I set up an initial global preset and made a bunch of param variations off of it.

^^^
Worth a try…

Return to “MeldaProduction”