Do you heavily use the stock eFX/Mix plugins in your DAW(s) ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

In Bitwig I tend to use:

- the utility/routing stuff (Chain, Mid/Side Split, Multiband Split, Tool, and of course FX Grid)
- Pitch Shifter (it's flawed, but I like the character of its flaws)
- Peak Limiter (not for mastering, but just-in-case on the master output and taming excessive spikes)
- Delay-1 (if I specifically want a delay with some other plugin in the feedback loop)
- Distortion, occasionally.

Other than that I mostly rely on third-party plugins. It's not that Bitwig's included plugins are bad, it's just that things like WOW2, Toneboosters EQ, MagicDeathEye, Valhalla reverbs and delay etc. are absolutely top notch.

In Orion we used a lot of stock instruments and almost exclusively stock effects. Since moving to Cubase, I have found it just as easy to load up a VST instrument or effect than to load something native that I am unfamiliar with. This is particularly evident with drums. In Orion all our drums were done in the native DrumRack, up until we moved to 64 bit and bought Battery. After that we were about 50/50, mostly because Battery's library is vast and of really high quality and it was often easier to use Battery than load up kits from its library into DrumRack. But once we moved to Cubase, Battery became the default option, just because I am used to it. I've checked out Groove Agent and it looks every bit as good as Battery but I can already use Battery so I haven't bothered with GA. It's the same with Cubase's bundled instruments - why bother with them when I already have an arsenal of VSTi I am familiar with that get the job done? I've honestly not so much as looked at HALion or PadShop after almost a year of using Cubase several hours a day.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Ableton, just Convolution Reverb Pro really
Logic, quite a few

Ableton Live Suite: Autofilter, EQ8, Utility, Glue Compressor, Saturator, and M4Live LFO (not sure if base version of Live comes with this). I use their instrument and drum racks a lot. I use other stock effects sometimes.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Return to “Effects”