Do you heavily use the stock eFX/Mix plugins in your DAW(s) ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Jace-BeOS wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:20 pm
chk071 wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:52 am Well, that's sort of the problem. Developers who do DAW can't necessarily code effect or instrument plugins. And not every company is as big as Apple, and can easily buy in external stuff.
Most of what’s in Logic was there before Apple bought Emagic. The Camel Audio stuff was acquired, but I’m pretty sure everything else was developed in-house by Emagic (most of what’s in Logic now) or later by former Emagic people at Apple (Guitar Pedal Board, new reverb, Retro Synth). If anyone knows better, by all means correct me :-)
Some of the impulses in space designer are awesome.There is a VSL special edition demo where a space designer Impulse is used on a violin, it made a huge difference.

Jace-BeOS wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:20 pm Most of what’s in Logic was there before Apple bought Emagic. The Camel Audio stuff was acquired, but I’m pretty sure everything else was developed in-house by Emagic (most of what’s in Logic now) or later by former Emagic people at Apple (Guitar Pedal Board, new reverb, Retro Synth). If anyone knows better, by all means correct me :-)
Redmatica for GB for iPad/Mainstage was also acquired.

Else yes, everything i gathered points to the same team that developed logic from the beginning.

I love the FX in Logic especially the pedal board designer on synth tracks. Plenty of fantastic pedals to just drag in the rack.

Rob

chk071 wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:52 am Well, that's sort of the problem. Developers who do DAW can't necessarily code effect or instrument plugins. And not every company is as big as Apple, and can easily buy in external stuff.
Most of what’s in Logic was there before Apple bought Emagic. The Camel Audio stuff was acquired, but I’m pretty sure everything else was developed in-house by Emagic (most of what’s in Logic now) or later by former Emagic people at Apple (Guitar Pedal Board, new reverb, Retro Synth). If anyone knows better, by all means correct me :-)
Fair enough. Logic might be the golden exception to the rule then. :)

I use Ableton Live and yes, I use the factory effects extensively. They are excellent and well suited for many tasks. Compressor, Delay, Echo, Multiband Dynamics, Grain Delay, Overdrive, Redux...I could go on, I use them ALL, regularly.

chk071 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:53 pm
Fair enough. Logic might be the golden exception to the rule then. :)
I’m not sure if Logic is the exception to a golden rule, from what I see people say about Live (looks like it has a lot of built-in goodies made in-house, alongside the bundled 3rd-party stuff), but I do agree that some DAW developers rely on third-party stuff a LOT. Too much even:

I used to be a Cakewalk/Sonar user. It seems almost every effect and synth included in Sonar’s “package” was bundled 3rd-party product. The problem is, the bundling agreements would end abruptly and components would vanish in later versions. There were also acquisitions of developers, most notably RGC Audio, and whoever developed the Sonitus FX suite (which seemed to prompt the dumping of the prior Sonar-native DX FX suite).

Maybe occasionally there was in-house development, likely via acquired 3rd-party developers. The Sonitus FX suite was immediately ported to 64-bit. Also, when René left Cakewalk, it seems the in-house development of FX and synths took a nosedive (but I’ve been away from it for a while and may be misremembering this).

Cakewalk’s in-house skillset was unclear. Was the reliance on 3rd-party deals a result of a lack of in-house developer skills, or just desperate business deals to bring funds in from 3rd-party developers who paid to get “lite” versions of their stuff bundled with Cakewalk products as advertising?

Possibly related: All the plugins from Cakewalk’s abandoned Project 5 “modular DAW” (would-be Reason competitor) had been dumped into a later Sonar version as an enticement to upgraders, But was eventually dumped from Sonar because they weren’t converted to 64-bit (I may be remembering this wrongly).

Sound Forge is another good example, despite not being a DAW: Most of the effects in Sound Forge were acquisitions and licensed third-party DX plugins or code, which is likely why it took so long for Sound Forge to be ported to 64-bit, and why the Mac version is a barebones, lame, and soulless shadow of the Windows version (the programmers who made all the effects may no longer be there, the 3rd-party licenses may have expired or not covered new platforms/products, or the source code itself was unavailable, etc...).

All this rambling :oops: is to say that I personally prefer all the development be done in-house (rather than acquisitions and 3rd-party bundling), since outsourced content tends not to be maintained or may be dropped entirely. I’d prefer becoming accustomed to using ALL 3rd-party FX plugins in a DAW, rather than getting used to bundled stuff that may suddenly vanish in a new version.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

I rarely use stock plug ins in Cubase. I used to use the compressor on occasion and have even substituted that with a 3rd party plug in.

Reading through this thread tends to suggest Cubase plug ins are not well regarded.

mholloway wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:55 pm I use Ableton Live and yes, I use the factory effects extensively. They are excellent and well suited for many tasks. Compressor, Delay, Echo, Multiband Dynamics, Grain Delay, Overdrive, Redux...I could go on, I use them ALL, regularly.
Yep. Live's effects & instruments are top notch imho.

Double Post

If you have got used to Cubase, Ableton Live looks like a mess of a DAW. I have it installed and have yet to even fire it up.

live needs a different approach than cubase/logic/protools/studio one, it's not as much of a linear sequencer as the former are

Wow, the Sonar story sounds a nightmare. That poor management probably broke thousands of projects for every update.

I currently use Ableton Live 9 and I use included effects most of the time. Simply put, they do the job, they blend perfectly with the rest of Live's interface and they are usually straight to the point. That last point is very important. I noticed it when I moved from FLStudio to Live. Live's effects usually do one thing and one thing only, and they show all the relevant information in a small area. They look dull, but they deliver.

A great example of this is the Gate effect. Just compare it to most noise gates you can find listed in KVR, free or paid. Compared to Live's, they look cluttered, messy, or just cheesy. A noise gate, come on, one of the most simple effects ever, and most developers can't make a proper interface for it!
MAN FROM SPACE
Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/135uz9UwHtdXZgiFyAc3oz
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/manfromspace

GumRoad (FREE Ableton racks and synth presets): https://gumroad.com/manfromspace

looks kinda like FabFilter pro-g. I love envelope display on gates, i don't understand why there are gates without it.

Dan Worrall recently made two videos comparing stock plugins in Reaper vs some 3rd party. Since i didn't know where to post this i found this topic to be the right place. Some interesting findings overall. Check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OoVnTO3AB4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpXqYk1FoWA

I use the FL eq and convolution reverb but not much else usually (I do like things like formula controller and peak controller but they're nor really effects I suppose) got shitloads of 3rd party stuff. I think someone earlier mentioned 'Maximus' the FL multiband compressor. I have no doubt it's very good, but I can't make head or tail of it- it's bonkers.

Return to “Effects”