Music Theory vs Chord VST

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

vurt wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:06 pm not everyone is looking to stand out or be remembered.
some people just want to have a bit of fun and make some noise.

there are many paths to the destination, follow whichever suits you.
This is where the post-modernism I was talking about is at play. :)

Fun and the learning experience of getting good at something are not mutually-exclusive, and anything worth doing is worth doing as well as you can. Really, there's just no excuse not to if you're going to do this kind of stuff long-term.

There are many authors, sculptors, painters, composers, etc who were largely unknown in their time — sometimes they were overshadowed, sometimes they were more hobbyists — and died poor and the public did not come to appreciate their skill and works until sometimes centuries later.

This lack of reputation or even desire to be known in their time did not stop them from pursuing the highest levels of craftmanship they could. It's a lot more satisfying when even something you do for fun turns out really good.

Case in point: In Poland, some guys built an entire church out of salt just for something to do.

vurt wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:06 pm not everyone is looking to stand out or be remembered.

Got no problem with twatting about and making some noise - you're actively participating, and many a good piece of music has come about by accident/messing with effects etc. It's when the chord thingies are writing the stuff for you that's the issue for me. You don't have to be classically trained, read music, or even be any good technically, but you at least need to be making the choices yourself in my book.

donkey tugger wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:49 pm It's when the chord thingies are writing the stuff for you that's the issue for me. You don't have to be classically trained, read music, or even be any good technically, but you at least need to be making the choices yourself in my book.
It’s like saying you paint original works of art because you own a ‘paint by numbers’ kit.

Forgotten wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:02 am
donkey tugger wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:49 pm It's when the chord thingies are writing the stuff for you that's the issue for me. You don't have to be classically trained, read music, or even be any good technically, but you at least need to be making the choices yourself in my book.
It’s like saying you paint original works of art because you own a ‘paint by numbers’ kit.
im more looking at it from "well, that paint by numbers kit i got for xmas was fun, but i want more..."

as in, anyone with an actual interest in music, will seek ways to move on from the crutches as it would become boring, not realising your own ideas.

Yep. I think people should recognize that they can improve or expand their skills and knowledge.

No one should criticize anyone if they’re happy to stick with paint by numbers, but it’s never going to sit well with people who have spent years honing their skills when someone claims that paint by numbers is the equivalent to being Leonardo da Vinci.

ah well, yes, using it for a bit of fun and making grandiose claims are two different things.

eat the second alive :hihi:

i do wonder how many little blue envelopes from salt n shake, you would get out of that church?

i almost bought a phone, that finished some famous unfinished symphonic piece, that was then performed by an orchestra.

then i thought, why do i want a phone that will tell me im shite and knows more than me.
so, im stuck with two tins on a piece of string :cry:

Forgotten wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:03 pm 413,764,112.4874634
surprised smiths haven't nicked it.
i bet there used to be loads of beautiful architecture made from salt, before those bastards! :x

donkey tugger wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:49 pm

Got no problem with twatting about and making some noise - you're actively participating, and many a good piece of music has come about by accident/messing with effects etc. It's when the chord thingies are writing the stuff for you that's the issue for me. You don't have to be classically trained, read music, or even be any good technically, but you at least need to be making the choices yourself in my book.
Hmm, choices. If I use a known template for a chord structure am I making the choices? Is it bad if I'm not?

Bowie took the chord structure from My Way as arranged by Paul Anka to create Life on Mars. There are a couple of modifications but the descending bass line remains in place. Bowie had worked on the original French version before it became a hit for Sinatra - but only with the lyrics - the original music was someone else's.

Ofc, Bowie knew what he was doing and the changes he made to the chord structure were nothing compared to what happens in the overall melody and lyrics. However, is it very different to using a chord plugin to get an idea down? People spend a lot of time getting bent out of shape on these issues for no reason. The reality is that these tools quickly become slower to work with than simply playing the stuff in unless you set your face against working on a keyboard or fretboard and insist on using a mouse (which is frickin' slow under most circumstances).

If your beef is with cookie-cutter music, it's not really here. There's plenty of cookie-cutter music made by people who know what they're doing. And not so cookie-cutter music made by people slapping samples together. I remember the good old days when PWEI, the JAMMS, FSOL and the like boasted of not being able to play an instrument (although it was a bit of a fib).

clint still maintains he has no clue what hes doing, in interviews about his soundtrack work.

vurt wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:56 pm clint still maintains he has no clue what hes doing, in interviews about his soundtrack work.
While he turns out stuff like The Fountain, I heartily approve of him not knowing what he's doing.

vurt wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:30 pm
i bet there used to be loads of beautiful architecture made from salt, before those bastards! :x
What would Morrissey do with all that salt?

Forgotten wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:24 pm
vurt wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:30 pm
What would Morrissey do with all that salt?
nefariousness.

Return to “Music Theory”