T7 Faders Change by Themselves!

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I thought I was going crazy but I have proved it in a project I am mixing.

Here's what happens. I have a mix with about 85 tracks (the band I'm recording is into a Queen thing).

I adjust faders, get a good level on a part. Change another part. Suddenly the volume jumps on the first part and sure enough, the first change I made has been undone and the fader is pinned.

Anyone ever seen this?

It makes it pretty much impossible to mix a large project.

Weird. Bad.
Sworkshop

"The tide of amateurism cannot but recede, until there will be left only the mechanical device and the professional executant." - John Philip Sousa, 1906

You've recorded automation. Turn off playback for automation (down near the play button) and see if it still does it. If it doesn't, remove the automation from the problem clip.
"my gosh it's a friggin hardware"

if I have automation, I might put another stock fader somewhere in that plugin chain, preferably at its end, for manual correction of volume. that, if moving around the whole automation curve seems too fidgety and unprecise.

An important secret technique for dealing with problems like this is to read the manual. Although I'm genuinely astonished that someone could get hired to record a band without knowing what automation is.
Last edited by spoontechnique on Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spoo man thanks for the unsolicited insult. How did anyone with such an attitude get anywhere near a recording studio? Perhaps you haven't. I don't know anything about your situation, but thanks to your example I guess I am free to judge you.
Sworkshop

"The tide of amateurism cannot but recede, until there will be left only the mechanical device and the professional executant." - John Philip Sousa, 1906

Don't sweat it swork. We all make mistakes. It's good to learn.

I didn't insult anyone. The only unsolicited insult here is calling Tracktion weird and bad because you didn't understand a basic feature that almost all DAWs have. I haven't personally worked at a recording studio, but apparently the standards for doing so aren't very high.

Bad news, this is still happening even though I have the automation off.

I listen, then when I play again one part will scream out. Turns out the Folder fader sometimes jumps to +3 all by itself between playbacks. The client says 'I like mix number 18'. Well I have to redo and tweak mix 18 because things change...not a little, a lot.

Never happened until I got into this one big mega track project...could it be a hidden but in T7 that only happens when track count exceeds n?

We'll never know, as T7 is mature and they won't mess with it and can't blame them. I'll just be glad when I get finished with this monster project.

Thanks for everyone's comments anyway.
Sworkshop

Bad news, this is still happening even though I have the automation off.

I listen, then when I play again one part will scream out. Turns out the Folder fader sometimes jumps to +3 all by itself between playbacks. The client says 'I like mix number 18'. Well I have to redo and tweak mix 18 because things change...not a little, a lot.

Never happened until I got into this one big mega track project...could it be a hidden bug in T7 that only happens when track count exceeds n?

We'll never know, as T7 is mature and they won't mess with it and can't blame them. I'll just be glad when I get finished with this monster project and move to WF.

Thanks for everyone's comments anyway.
Sworkshop

Can you email support@tracktion.com with a copy of the .tracktionedit file and some info about what tracks exhibit this behaviour.
It could be a bug that isn't ignoring the "automation read" property in certain circumstances but are you sure you don't have any automation data on the tracks?

It's just a bit odd that T7 has been around for 3 years now and this is the first time I've heard of this.
Also, if you're planning to move to W10, it will be interesting to see if you still see this behaviour in this project.

I may have a clue. This project has required that I fly tracks back and forth between edits (the client keeps changing their mind).
The weird behavior seems to happen after I cut and paste from project 1 into project 2. Project 2 gain staging get's all whacked in the form of changing random faders. It's not limited to a particular track but it seems the folder levels are most prone to get disturbed. Maybe it is a bug but happening in a rare circumstance so it have been unreported. I will send the file.
Sworkshop

you are talking about tracks, not clips?
a track will inherit a lot of properties during pasting..

Yes I paste track so I keep the alignment. I can confirm from testing today that this is when things go crazy.

In addition to levels, all the channel assignments across the mix get changed...looks like the insert of the new tracks offsets the assignments. Sort of makes sense.

Anyway that's probably what's happening, I never new it was a problem to paste tracks between edits.
Sworkshop

It would be interesting, if unexpected behavior still happens in the latest W10 version, as it is also a question of how the data is organized and saved, and there have been some changes in this, AFAIK.
There might be workarounds, like adding the respective track at the end, and move it to its regular place only after.
Or to save it as a preset, and bring it in as a preset load.
Also, it might become interesting to write macros, that split the task into comprehensive portions, with the choice to select, which data to use from the import, and what must prevail in its current value and form. (volumes, automation curves, plugin settings, clip properties and positions.. some data could be saved away, and restored after pasting a track that was edited elsewhere.)

Return to “Tracktion”