Best closed back mixing headphones under £150

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Bombadil wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:00 pm Eskimo is an offensive term to these particular tribes. They call themselves 'Inuit.'
Well not exactly. Inuit is only one of the tribes covered by the Eskimo[-Aleut] term. A Yupik may equally be offended being called Inuit. But it's up to the individual what they prefer to be called. If in doubt, ask them. But if that's the conversation you're having with them, it's already a fail.

OT: We've been using the Sennheiser 280HD and have been quite happy with them. Especially since the GC guy gave us a 2 for 1 deal at about $50.

Kalamata Kid wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 2:36 pm I am considering the Beyerdynamics dt 770 pro
But which ohm's?
It seems that the 80 ohm is the most popular.

what is the the lowest price recently?
Best to wait for black Friday? Only six months way!
The higher impedance ones will sound better (tighter, more clarity, won’t distort as easily) *if* your audio interface/headphone amp can drive them. 80 or even 250 should be ok with most decent audio interfaces but will not work well connected directly to a laptop/tablet/phone

lbqatar wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 7:37 pm
Kalamata Kid wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 2:36 pm I am considering the Beyerdynamics dt 770 pro
But which ohm's?
It seems that the 80 ohm is the most popular.

what is the the lowest price recently?
Best to wait for black Friday? Only six months way!
The higher impedance ones will sound better (tighter, more clarity, won’t distort as easily) *if* your audio interface/headphone amp can drive them. 80 or even 250 should be ok with most decent audio interfaces but will not work well connected directly to a laptop/tablet/phone
Overjoyed with my 25 ohm pair (and I am a bit of a collector of headphones!)

Burillo wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 12:26 pm Sonarworks Reference + any headphones you like that are on the list.
Do you notice a difference between the Sonarworks and the ToneBoosters correction plugins?
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

SparkySpark wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:05 pm
Burillo wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 12:26 pm Sonarworks Reference + any headphones you like that are on the list.
Do you notice a difference between the Sonarworks and the ToneBoosters correction plugins? I have heard their freq response charts vary so perhaps it's hard to trust them (?).
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

Just dont mix in Headphones, period. It's a waste of time and money. And you will never learn the "right sound", becuse every headphones model are to different sounding from each other. If there's no possibility to use studio monitors send rather your projects to external mixing engineer.

xbiliuhjbjuilkjb;:
Last edited by Obsolete317542 on Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Do you notice a difference between the Sonarworks and the ToneBoosters correction plugins?
Yes, there is a notable difference. I find ToneBoosters correction to sound hyped and contrived, while Sonarworks correction sounds natural to my ears. Measurement of headphones is half the picture - the other half is target curve, i. e. what are the headphones corrected towards. I also tried Waves NX correction btw, and it didn't sound the way I like either.

Maybe I'm so used to Sonarworks target curve by now that anything that is not that sounds "wrong" to me, however I can say that I have one pair of headphones for which I have a stock average response curve, and another one specifically measured by Sonarworks - they pretty much sound the same. I cannot say the same about ToneBoosters correction plugin - either the average curves aren't that accurate, or the target curve is messy, but different headphones sound differently when corrected. To be fair, not all average curves in Sonarworks work the same either - for example, the HD205 curve doesn't sound accurate at all.

Sonarworks and Waves NX are pretty much my default monitoring chain, with ToneBoosters Isone sometimes used to provide different perspectives.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Plumbus wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:31 am Just dont mix in Headphones, period. It's a waste of time and money. And you will never learn the "right sound", becuse every headphones model are to different sounding from each other. If there's no possibility to use studio monitors send rather your projects to external mixing engineer.
Disagree, it's huge blessing getting to that point where you can trust your gear and ears, so one need to learn every piece of gear he uses and stick to it, Andrew Scheps is poster child for this as he's using same old Sony (7506) cans and Tannoy speakers, there's some stuff he mixed entirely on those cans, on laptop, using software plugins exclusively... of course to reach that point you need to reference quite a lot, but it's worth it.

In addition to headphones, laptop, smaller computer, phone&car speakers and ear buds are great reference systems, also having some smaller studio monitors where you can check on low volumes from time to time, check mixes in mono, going back and forth until it sounds right, that's how most go about it and that's how they became great.

I think everyone would like to be able to have a well sounding room with monitors but a) It's not always feasible and b) It's not what the OP wanted.

There are many ways to do music, not everyone is going to be able to do the monitors in a room thing :shrug:

Burillo wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:20 pm
Yes, there is a notable difference. I find ToneBoosters correction to sound hyped and contrived, while Sonarworks correction sounds natural to my ears. Measurement of headphones is half the picture - the other half is target curve, i. e. what are the headphones corrected towards. I also tried Waves NX correction btw, and it didn't sound the way I like either.
Funny you mention this. My experience is the opposite. The tonebooster correction tool gives a much more consistent result across the headphones I have than the sonarworks thingy (tried the demo, but decided it's not worth the money given better alternatives). I also like that the toneboosters tool supports the Harman target curves, which are derived from about a decade of research. Sonarworks is based on who-knows-what target curve (did they ever publish their curves?).

Well, hate to say it, but all those "correctional" thingies are nearly useless to me. Now, I understand that there is science behind them and mixing w/o cans is cool, but reference is reference in my pea-brained world.

TBH, mixing with cans is not ideal, I think many can agree on that, but if you reference material you should at least have a baseline, not everyone can have a treated room with terrific monitors :shrug:

And I still think my KRK's are pretty good for anyone needing cans at the price range listed by the OP. Nothing is hyped. You get what you get. And the replaceable parts (which I've done a lot) and it's easy peasy.

BerryLaCroix wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:50 am I also like that the toneboosters tool supports the Harman target curves, which are derived from about a decade of research. Sonarworks is based on who-knows-what target curve (did they ever publish their curves?).
they basically have that same Harman target curve. they just arrived it through listening tests and trial and error, rather than by conducting rigorous academic research. i can't find the source of this claim, but they (Sonarworks) did mention this in one of the Reference threads on Gearslutz.

EDIT: source: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/product ... st12363274
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

I know the OP posted this back in Jan, but since this thread is still going and others may find this interesting, Andrew Schepps apparently does "quite a lot" of his mixes on Sony MDR-7506's without using anything like Reference. Those are $80 closed back headphones.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showpos ... ostcount=4

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”