Best closed back mixing headphones under £150

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

himalaya wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:57 pm
Vortifex wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:38 pm
tony10000 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:44 pm Sennheiser HD280PRO
I read about these but apparently the low end is a bit cack, not so in your experience?
I can not recommend the HD280Pro headphones for mixing. I do not like the bass nor the very bright sound signature. When pushed hard, they become really uncomfortable in the top end, piercing even. Haven't used my pair of HD280Pros for many years now... They are great as recording cans due to the very good isolation. That's all.

Thanks for the info. I thought they sounded pretty good when I auditioned them. Comparable to the ATH-M40Xs. I actually ended up buying the HD380 Pros. They were on sale for the same price as the 280s ($100) at Guitar Center and I thought they sounded better. Much better bass response. If I was spending more money, and the HD380s were not on sale, I would have also looked seriously at the Audio Technica ATH-M50X and the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros. I thought the HD380 Pros compared very favorably with both of those models during my listening tests. And the price was right!

tony10000 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:17 pm Thanks for the info. I thought they sounded pretty good when I auditioned them. Comparable to the ATH-M40Xs. I actually ended up buying the HD380 Pros. They were on sale for the same price as the 280s ($100) at Guitar Center and I thought they sounded better. Much better bass response. If I was spending more money, and the HD380s were not on sale, I would have also looked seriously at the Audio Technica ATH-M50X and the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros. I thought the HD380 Pros compared very favorably with both of those models during my listening tests. And the price was right!
Be wary of the upper midrange on the HD380s if mixing with them. I have a pair and there's a spike around 3khz. I use them out and about with the new Sonarworks mobile app, and it's night and day when they're "corrected".

andymcbain wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:36 pm
tony10000 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:17 pm Thanks for the info. I thought they sounded pretty good when I auditioned them. Comparable to the ATH-M40Xs. I actually ended up buying the HD380 Pros. They were on sale for the same price as the 280s ($100) at Guitar Center and I thought they sounded better. Much better bass response. If I was spending more money, and the HD380s were not on sale, I would have also looked seriously at the Audio Technica ATH-M50X and the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros. I thought the HD380 Pros compared very favorably with both of those models during my listening tests. And the price was right!
Be wary of the upper midrange on the HD380s if mixing with them. I have a pair and there's a spike around 3khz. I use them out and about with the new Sonarworks mobile app, and it's night and day when they're "corrected".
Thanks for the information!

I've used pretty much all the above models,
the ATHM40 /ATHM50s , The Beyedynamics 770 pros
etc.

My personal findings are when I had them
altogether in an audio interface that could take
more than 1 headphone at once was that I used
them for different things.

I found I used the Audio Technicas
ATHM40s/ATHM50s for balancing audio tracks,
they seemed to translate easier than any
headphones Ive come across.

and I would use the Beyerdynamics for
frequency hunting for Eqing, you just
put thoses on and things would
just jump at you. it was good for sound design
but not Bass heavy sound design, it didn't translate
off the cuff like the Audio Technicas in my
personal opinion.

Heri Mkocha

Yamaha HPH-MT5 this guy could convince Eskimo to buy fridge hahahha :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWyB6LoC6pI

Eskimo is an offensive term to these particular tribes. They call themselves 'Inuit.'
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

I got Beyerdynamic dt 990 pro phones recently, they're about in your price range, but because they're 250 OHM I got a small Chinese tube headphone amp to drive them. Even with a less than top of the line amp, they're incredible, a huge step up from the AKG240 phones I was using previously.

an-electric-heart wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 10:05 am I got Beyerdynamic dt 990 pro phones recently, they're about in your price range, but because they're 250 OHM I got a small Chinese tube headphone amp to drive them. Even with a less than top of the line amp, they're incredible, a huge step up from the AKG240 phones I was using previously.
Yes they are really good but not for mixing or mastering,treble is artificial and hurt u ears,bottom end is very nice and comfort is super,but linearity is totally gone :)Nothing against the brand just this model isn't monitor.

Shure SRH840

DT 990's aren't closed back, afaik. That would be the DT770s, which I have. Great for tracking, but I wouldn't use them for mixing. I wouldn't use headphones for mixing, full-stop.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Sonarworks Reference + any headphones you like that are on the list.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

I've had KRK 8400's for years. Highly recommended.

KRK KNS-8400's (which is what I normally reach for at home when the kid's asleep). Also the Sony MDR-7506, although they're a bit plasticky and I've managed to go through quite a few sets between work and home.

I am considering the Beyerdynamics dt 770 pro
But which ohm's?
It seems that the 80 ohm is the most popular.

what is the the lowest price recently?
Best to wait for black Friday? Only six months way!

I'm on DT700Pro 250Ohm - because my AudioFire4 can drive them well. Don't get too high an impedance for your sound card, basically. (My other PC has a UAC2 which is driving my DT770M 80Ohms well enough but it couldn't really cope well with the 250Ohms, for example.)

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”