Bitwig Studio 3

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

SLiC wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:02 pm You are missing the point, not loading Reactor is potentially a huge advantage in CPU use and integration, its not a joke, anything 'built in' will be more integrated, CPU friendly and have the benefit of a scalable interface (reactor is hard to use in 4K).
just in case your answer is related to mine (if not ignore it^^)
thats what obicere was saying. ^^
a fact that isnt very hard to find out (unless your pc is so overpowered that you simply dont care in any circumstance of serious business work, comp crashing included) with some experience in the fields. thats what i was mocking about^^.

of course its great to have a reaktor like environment INSIDE a DAW core. that was the reason i bought 1.0 in the first place. thats the reason i likely will buy 3.0 sooner or alter after release, certainly not on 0-day.

So i have BW2 8 track. This might nudge me enough to spend an hour or two and actually try it out. It looks incredibly messy to me compared to logic (upon booting it up) but the modularity aspect is pretty attractive. I guess I should rather use the full demo than 8 track.

Maybe a bit busier... You can close stuff just as with LPX.

mrj1nx wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:38 pm So i have BW2 8 track. This might nudge me enough to spend an hour or two and actually try it out. It looks incredibly messy to me compared to logic (upon booting it up) but the modularity aspect is pretty attractive. I guess I should rather use the full demo than 8 track.
I have Bitwig and Logic and find Bitwig easier to use. The Bitwig popup browser is great. Saving device presets with tags and recalling them quickly is better in Bitwig.

Logic is amazing in its own right, but the basic workflow in Bitwig is much better (IMO)

mrj1nx wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:38 pm So i have BW2 8 track. This might nudge me enough to spend an hour or two and actually try it out. It looks incredibly messy to me compared to logic (upon booting it up) but the modularity aspect is pretty attractive. I guess I should rather use the full demo than 8 track.
I also have BW2 8-track (I think it's called Studio now), and I watched some Ask.Audio videos on Bitwig and worked through them with the program. It helped me much better understand the workflow and there are some pretty neat tricks up its sleeve.

I haven't upgraded to the big version yet, but I'm much more likely to do so now.

^^^ check these ones in order
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGmnfntSgd8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQfSwv_bcSE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z9zDzz8QZY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL55OdasWxg

and you're in picture where it's now (and it has got full MIDI channel support which can't be seen on the videos)
Last edited by xbitz on Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

there are some not obvious feature for ex. the whole timeline can be shifted if time-signature change marker is added, so can create an in-between jamming zone between the clip launcher and the arranger area
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5Vac03ssck
etc. so worth to check the tips-tricks topic at the top of the Bitwig forum

ps. show/hide all used automation lane just been added to some of the 2.5beta as a shortkey ... don't try to find it ...
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

I'm a bit late to this thread -

Do we know if this grid can trigger things/send midi notes?

All I've seen is synth, FX, CV so far

How is Bitwig for audio editing now? ie as the usual tape style audio editing DAW where one might have dozens of audio items and want to micro edit and slip edit and so on
what you don't know only makes you stronger

studiowaveform wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:40 pm I'm a bit late to this thread -

That is what I want to know... The Mono Grid they talk about doing drones... But can I trigger an envelope without a note on?

woggle wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:48 pm How is Bitwig for audio editing now? ie as the usual tape style audio editing DAW where one might have dozens of audio items and want to micro edit and slip edit and so on
I too would be interested to know more about this. Live is rubbish for audio but if Bitwig offers more tape style editing features I would be more tempted to make the switch.
Always Read the Manual!

pdxindy wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:56 am
studiowaveform wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:40 pm I'm a bit late to this thread -

That is what I want to know... The Mono Grid they talk about doing drones... But can I trigger an envelope without a note on?
When I heard you can connect anything to anything I was really excited..

They have DC CV so fingers crossed

PieBerger wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:45 am
woggle wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:48 pm How is Bitwig for audio editing now? ie as the usual tape style audio editing DAW where one might have dozens of audio items and want to micro edit and slip edit and so on
I too would be interested to know more about this. Live is rubbish for audio but if Bitwig offers more tape style editing features I would be more tempted to make the switch.
It is definitely better than Live in my opinion (in clip editing for example!) but you really need to try the demo to see if it works for you....
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:36 am
PieBerger wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:45 am
It is definitely better than Live in my opinion (in clip editing for example!) but you really need to try the demo to see if it works for you....
I agree... definitely better than Live... but that is not saying a whole lot :hihi:

I used to use Reaper for editing audio interviews back when I used Live. These days I would use Bitwig but truth be told I am not doing many interviews right now.

I can only speak for myself, but I find Live’s workflow the easiest. I like the non-modal approach. However, I rarely use it. The arranger, where I spend most of my time, is a visual mess.

I play with Bitwig a lot, and reinstall it every time there’s a new version because I like the basic look that much. But the version 2 interface with its mismatched font sizes, and especially it’s lack of right-click context menus kills me. The devs weird interpretation of what a touch GUI should be, completely lost me.

Hence, I almost always wind up in Logic—using a Bitwig theme. Logic has some strange ways of doing things, but it’s much easier for track-based audio recording and has some great-sounding instruments.

BItwig 3’s grid looks interesting, but Mulab’s Mux already has that covered for free. I would love to love Bitwig, but right now it’s just aimed at a different audience.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”