2019 a year in gear (what have you/are you bought/buying?)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Been thinking of buying a mountain dulcimer, and looked at a few online. What I should do is take a drive into the Appalachians and buy from a local luthier, so might not get one just yet.
Sweet child in time...

I may have to get that QPAS Module as well, as I really need a filter. Of course, I have to
get another case first, f#ck! :D

Bombadil wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:16 pm
donkey tugger wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:14 pm
tapper mike wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:05 pm
donkey tugger wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:59 am Another acoustic guitar at some point. The Epiphone is a nice easy to play guitar and great for pop/rokk stuff with it's bright sound, but I need something with a bit more of a vintage character for my occasional forays into folk wankery.

Recording King. Seriously they are great sounding affordable guitars with amazing playability for the price.
Cheers for reminding me about them - I'd completely forgotten. Look really good, and cheap.
They have a lot of QC issues. I had a RK ROS-16, I think it was. It was nice for what it was, very pretty, and a bass that belied its size. It did need a setup, though, and I had a bit of trouble adjusting to the V-neck, but nothing major. THEN I decided to try out a few more RKs, 3, I think. I ended up sending them all back. The nut on one of them was about 1/4" off to the side, warped fretboard on another, and all 3 had had a very lacklustre sound.

My advice for a relatively cheap acoustic would be Walden, especially their Supranatura series. They went out of business a few years ago, but a few shops may still have some old stock, and you can find them online. I have a Supranature G2070 (all solid wood), and I ended up selling a Taylor 316 because I preferred the Walden.
My Recording King RPH-05 came clean as a whistle straight out of the box. Not a flaw to be found. Low action, no buzz no rattle
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

Glad you got a good one! :tu:
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

pekbro wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:08 am I may have to get that QPAS Module as well, as I really need a filter. Of course, I have to
it never ends!!!!

dont forget, more cables! :hihi:
can everyone shut up about the qpas! trying to resist :hihi:

I just arranged a trade up for my Korg Minilogue to the XD through my local Long and McQuade shop and have a pre-order in for the Volca Modular. Due to to space issues I pretty much have to buy to replace instead of buying to add.

Well, I've got my first two bits of gear for the year...A King Korg (Black) which I absolutely love straight out of the box, and a Zoom ARQ96 which might take a bit of time :wheee:

The main thing is I am off and running again and looking forward to a good year of collecting shiny new things (oh yes, and making some music...that too)

Got a mixcube late 2018, next step probably the new ik iloud monitors just announced at winter namm 2019. Then I have a solid monitoring setup. After that the only hardware in my plan is a Roland A88 and probably another non weighted midi keyboard such as the A-800 (im into the roland pitch stick, so avoiding wheels when possible). My current one is only 49 keys so a bit on the small side.

vurt wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:30 pm
pekbro wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:08 am I may have to get that QPAS Module as well, as I really need a filter. Of course, I have to
it never ends!!!!

dont forget, more cables! :hihi:
can everyone shut up about the qpas! trying to resist :hihi:
Heh, fortunately I actually planned for that, having only spent half of what I set aside for it so far. :D

I bought a maschine mk3 and a keylab 61 mk2. I'm thinking about getting cubase pro 10.

I traded a modded Boss RPS-10 for a Roland Demora delay and a Roland VP-9000 for Jomox T-Rackonizer (T-Resonator in module form). Unfortunately, I don't have free rack space for either! :oops:
I was not prepared for how much I would like the T-Rackonizer. It has a lot of weird quirks (knobs turn into attenuators when CV inputs are used, no CV over DSP parameters) but it's clearly not designed for careful, deliberate patching. It's designed to f**k shit up. It does that really well and in stereo!

The Demora is really cool as a basic stereo digital delay line (and it's capable of longer delay times than any other module that I have) but once you start using Roland's editor, it's capable of some pretty interesting stuff. I was quickly able to configure tempo sync, using the bypass button's trigger input and filtered feedback using a pair of stereo mixers and a dual VCA, all within the Demora itself. Pretty wild! I've had a Bitrazor for some time but I never really experimented with the editor because it didn't really expand the capabilities of that module. When it comes to the Demora, the editor makes it a completely different effect, compared to the default configuration.

...And I still have another VP-9000 and another RPS-10.

I will be seriously looking into Roland's modules myself, as I recently met a very nice lady
who happens to work for them. She moved to Maui not long ago with her husband and enjoys
playing golf at my course. Were gonna have a talk about them when she gets back from NAMM :D

pekbro wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:07 am I will be seriously looking into Roland's modules myself
I have the duel filter. If I did it over I'd probably get the other filter. I'm also considering the VCO and the 531 Mixer. Outside of those, IMO there are better utility modules to be had unless you just want the aesthetics of a uniform boat.

On the 2019 front so far I've managed to snag a Volante ... it's great :D
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

SJ_Digriz wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:00 pm
pekbro wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:07 am I will be seriously looking into Roland's modules myself
I have the duel filter. If I did it over I'd probably get the other filter. I'm also considering the VCO and the 531 Mixer. Outside of those, IMO there are better utility modules to be had unless you just want the aesthetics of a uniform boat.

On the 2019 front so far I've managed to snag a Volante ... it's great :D
Cool, good to know, although if I get it, it would likely be the complete system 500.
Mostly because I could probably get it at her cost. Weirdly, Golf is a very desirable
trade around here. Monetarily, the entire system is worth about 4 rounds of Golf
for them and a couple friends. For me, Golf is as free as the friggen air, and I can
extend that to others... :D

you're not the donald are you?

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”