One Synth Challenge #119: Waverazor 2 by Tracktion (Jasinski Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Waverazor

I gladly revisit it, once it all works flawlessly and I won't have to buy it. But even in the best of states, seriously, it cannot compete commercially at that or, well, any price range. It's mildly novel, but inherently flawed, due to the aliasing, which couldn't be battled, even if you would oversample the living heck out of it, simply because wave segments independently pushed around can never neatly connect. It just isn't how it works. This is why this is not a new idea, just novel that somebody seriously tried to make and sell it, really. Anyone, who used to play with sample based synthesis, like on the Amiga with OctaMED or the likes, knows what would happen. I don't mean to take the wind out of their sails, really, I don't...so let me blow some more into them again:
While it's a pain in the behind to edit sounds with this gui (still inhaling here!), once you get the groove, it feels like there's not just no limit to what you can design, but there's more than you could ever want to explore in terms of possibilities. Now, of course, they don't work right (inhaling again), with a great chance of some routing not getting activated without you knowing and the envelopes have one or two really bad problems (decay sustain logic is totally screwed) AND I haven't found a free controller choice, yet, which is sad, because my Akai master has a broken wheel and I couldn't remap it to any of the dozens of sliders. But, if one imagines that this stuff truly worked reliably, one can use even the screwy waveform action to come up with totally unique or at least interesting sounds.
I also love the comb filters, but I always do... so, in theory it has some excellent qualities. In reality, hmmm...ways to go, things to rethink.
ALAS: THANKS for throwing this one into the OSC pit of wolves (me, being one of the really mean ones, I know) and never stop following your heart!

@Taron I would be happy to hit a "like" on that post if I could, haha.

I feel that the tracks this month were not only decent, but also gave a good display of what Waverazor is capable of. It's good marketing for the synth.

-Voted-

Voted
No 5's this month :(
I have also voted down some submission for not including SIG in track name which appears to have happened to me on a few occasions recently, so I thought I should do the same. Although I could be wrong, however I can only go by voting information.
GLTA the OsC'ers
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

Voted
Eauson wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:50 am Voted
I have also voted down some submission for not including SIG in track name which appears to have happened to me on a few occasions recently, so I thought I should do the same. Although I could be wrong, however I can only go by voting information.
GLTA the OsC'ers
Very interesting voting logic and that explains why there are no 5's from you this month :hihi: I wonder if you have conclusive proof that people voted you down because you didn't include your SIG in your submission, or maybe they didn't like your track as much ? :shrug:

I personally feel voting should be as objective and unbiased as possible, because two wrongs can never make a right. Having said that, as has been said many times earlier, you're free to vote as you please and there is no justification required. GL! :hug:
Last edited by exponent1 on Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

exponent1 wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:50 am Voted :clap:
Eauson wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:50 am Voted
GLTA the OsC'ers
Very interesting voting logic and that explains why there are no 5's from you this month :hihi: I wonder if you have conclusive proof that people voted you down because you didn't include your SIG in your submission, or maybe they didn't like your track as much ? :shrug:

I personally feel voting should be as objective and unbiased as possible, because two wrongs can never make a right. Having said that, as has been said many times earlier, you're free to vote as you please and there is no justification required. GL! :hug:
Yes, there may be nothing to it, it could be / is paranoia :D
For about 3 yrs I undershot the rules, feeling that daw automation was wrong and only entered midi worked pieces, same goes for certain fx like OTT and other over compressors.
I only voted on what was in my opinion the standouts of the month. As nothing I have produced has ever hit the top ten, I see no harm in meself adjusting my voting, I probably should have said nothing, but hey ho, that's the way it go :)
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

The only thing I dislike is when somebody votes everyone to 1 point except the one entry they liked. That's manipulation and not voting. But if you still have some grading in there, all is well. Tis just offsets, really. Just sad, if you didn't get to hear anything you really enjoyed. I've heard a couple of gorgeous entries in there against all odds.

Hi all,

Well I have voted thus:

2 * 5
5 * 4
10 * 3
4 * 2
1 * 1

So, a pretty normal distribution. Based on my own particular voting system :D

Well done everybody for getting nice sounds from this synth - oh so easy to get "nasty" sounds!

dB

Voted - lots of stalwart synthesists.

Voted! This was one of those times where it was easy for the synth to override the composer, but there were some great ones in there.

I agree … it was quite a fight with WR to get the right sounds. But … people really did manage to tame it! Don't forget to leave some Soundcloud comments if you have time - people really do appreciate feedback (good or bad!).

dB

Voted!
Well done to all participants for really rising to the challenge :clap: :clap: :clap:

I was particularly impressed with the way many people shared what they learned of the synth along the way in an effort to help one another.

Voted!
Very interesting month. I think the work involved in getting WR to generate musically useful sounds made everyone take a little hit on production. Lots of creative electronic music which was fun to listen to, but I believe I could hear the frustration in many tracks. So congratulations to everyone who pulled off a complete song!

And I agree with Richard. WR really caused a lot of great conversation and help between participants -- that definitely enhanced this months OSC.

… true Richard … and also we are seeing the same thing on the PolyMod OSC as well - another tricky synth.

dB

Voted!

There are some nice submissions alltough for most making a track with Waverazor must have been a real challenge.

Quaoar

Votes casting done! And I apologize for the 9:25 of my track, I will go back to shorter tracks.

As already noticed in the previous comments, some participants found their way with the WWaverazor sound, others struggled a little to make it sound like a standard VA.
Last edited by liqih on Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Instruments”