Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
DUNE 3 Pigments 5 Universal - Dune 3 Presets

seismicfm wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:59 pm
rezoneight wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:45 pm
seismicfm wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:58 pm
fmr wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:42 pm
seismicfm wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:03 pm So I would recommend waiting for Massive X. :tu:
And why do you recommend that? What do you know about Massive X that we don't know?
a9k1tp wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:30 pm Totally agree.
If not, Dune 3 is tightly coded software (?). Pigment is like others from Arturia. (?)
What are you implying? And how do you know DUNE 3 is tightly coded? Are you the coder?
Are you a detective? What's with the interrogation?
Because the poster making the comment has absolutely no way to know if Dune 3 is "tightly coded" or not and it's a goofy comment to make. Nor does he have any idea about how Pigments is coded. I don't get the "like others from Arturia" comment. I don't have any issues with any of the stuff I have in V Collection. They consistently update all of the instruments.
Using common sense, I would think he is referring to low CPU usage. No reason for people to get so triggered if someone makes a negative comment about their favorite plugin/software. Geez. Just relax.
That's rich man. You got so "not triggered" you responded with your detective/interrogation comment. Maybe the guy hates stupid comments (and the Arturia comment was stupid, they've done good work pretty much always).

rezoneight wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:01 am
seismicfm wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:03 pm So I would recommend waiting for Massive X. :tu:
And why do you recommend that? What do you know about Massive X that we don't know?
a9k1tp wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:30 pm Totally agree.
If not, Dune 3 is tightly coded software (?). Pigment is like others from Arturia. (?)
What are you implying? And how do you know DUNE 3 is tightly coded? Are you the coder?
Because the poster making the comment has absolutely no way to know if Dune 3 is "tightly coded" or not and it's a goofy comment to make. Nor does he have any idea about how Pigments is coded. I don't get the "like others from Arturia" comment. I don't have any issues with any of the stuff I have in V Collection. They consistently update all of the instruments.
Using common sense, I would think he is referring to low CPU usage. No reason for people to get so triggered if someone makes a negative comment about their favorite plugin/software. Geez. Just relax.
That's rich man. You got so "not triggered" you responded with your detective/interrogation comment. Maybe the guy hates stupid comments (and the Arturia comment was stupid, they've done good work pretty much always).
:lol: I thought I told you to relax. No need to get your panties in a wad over a plugin.

pdxindy wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:52 pm
Dasheesh wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:53 pmi like Dune, but I understand the argument that it's dune 2 with extras. i just prefer dune for the oscillator quality and because i am familiar with it. it's really a personal decision guys. you have to make a personal choice.
For people who did not find the Dune 2 workflow to their liking, Dune 3 seems like Dune 2 with extras. For people who liked the Dune 2 workflow, it is Dune 2 with EXTRAS!! :lol:
this is absolute truth because i was part of the former and now part of the later. i'm really appreciating the new oscillators, i still think the cpu on the extra filter could have been better spent and is redundant, but that's out of my hands and i'm going to take advantage of it. there are some missing elements like a parameter/edit lock, and he sounds like he is going to ad right click assign to the mod matrix which is pretty much just more redundancy to appease the crowd, as they are still going to have to go to the mod matrix to control the amount so it's pretty much a useless feature. what ever, edm controls the world now and i have to live in it. i'll take the bad with the good i guess. the fact still remains that dune is a unique sound that i can't get anywhere else and i'm pretty much addicted to it and the quality of its oscillators. that's my preference. i also grew up on waldorfs and viruses and know how to work a multi, others will have different needs.

I read everyone's comments and ended up getting Arturia Pigments. Let me explain why:

Dune 3 sounds better to me. So why did I get Pigments instead? I've owned Dune 2 for a couple of years and used it numerous times, but each time I never really felt inspired by it. I had the same issue with Sylenth (which I sold). What good is a synth if you never feel compelled to use it?

Look at Massive, the sound is considered inferior in this day and age but if you open it up you instantly feel compelled to play around. It's inviting, it's fun, it's inspiring. Pigments is exactly that, and then some. It makes music fun, which it should be, especially considering it's not a job to me.

Others may have a different mindset or definition of fun, but to me Dune just switches off the right side of my brain whenever I open it. Having had a play around with Pigments I feel that I definitely made the right decision - for me!
Signatures are so early 2000s.

Kongru wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:52 pm I read everyone's comments and ended up getting Arturia Pigments. Let me explain why:

Dune 3 sounds better to me. So why did I get Pigments instead? I've owned Dune 2 for a couple of years and used it numerous times, but each time I never really felt inspired by it. I had the same issue with Sylenth (which I sold). What good is a synth if you never feel compelled to use it?

Look at Massive, the sound is considered inferior in this day and age but if you open it up you instantly feel compelled to play around. It's inviting, it's fun, it's inspiring. Pigments is exactly that, and then some. It makes music fun, which it should be, especially considering it's not a job to me.

Others may have a different mindset or definition of fun, but to me Dune just switches off the right side of my brain whenever I open it. Having had a play around with Pigments I feel that I definitely made the right decision - for me!
sounds like you made the right decision for you, time to have some playing the thing!

seismicfm wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:39 am

:lol: I thought I told you to relax. No need to get your panties in a wad over a plugin.
Relax. I was talking about how cpu efficient Dune 3 is. I like workflow in Pigments. But still Dune 3 sounds superior to me (It's obvious). But Dune 3 has same old non-interactive GUI. I've decided to wait and demo Massive X. Nothing is stupid. It's all about preferences. I have always preferred sound of U-he's synths over Arturia's.

a9k1tp wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:32 pm

Relax. I was talking about how cpu efficient Dune 3 is. I like workflow in Pigments. But still Dune 3 sounds superior to me (It's obvious). But Dune 3 has same old non-interactive GUI. I've decided to wait and demo Massive X. Nothing is stupid. It's all about preferences. I have always preferred sound of U-he's synths over Arturia's.
Not sure if you meant to reply to me, but I was defending you. Glad you took my advice on waiting for Massive X. I heard it has tight coding. :tu:

Fortunately for me my panties are not in a wad and my comfort level is high. I don't own either plugin (do own Dune 2) but do take an interest in stupid commentary like the Arturia one.

Pigments!!! If you are into generative stuff this is now the gold standard of modulation routing ever without wires. Demo it get crazy and you will see

I actually prefer chillout loose coding to uptight coding. Uptight coding can be frustrating and lead to depression, whereas loose coding can be relaxing and lead to better creativity.
<List your stupid gear here>

seismicfm wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:56 pm Not sure if you meant to reply to me, but I was defending you. Glad you took my advice on waiting for Massive X. I heard it has tight coding. :tu:
haha.. I meant efficient code. :hihi:

melodyz wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:33 pm Pigments!!! If you are into generative stuff this is now the gold standard of modulation routing ever without wires. Demo it get crazy and you will see
I'll assume you never used Bitwig, because that's where their ideas are coming from...
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:04 pm
melodyz wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:33 pm Pigments!!! If you are into generative stuff this is now the gold standard of modulation routing ever without wires. Demo it get crazy and you will see
I'll assume you never used Bitwig, because that's where their ideas are coming from...
+1

I'm currently fiddling with the Pigments trial. I've tried to find a draft/high-quality toggle switch somewhere on the interface, but I haven't found one yet. I've noticed that some of the presets drive my CPU (AMD FX Vishera 6-core @ 3.5 GHz) up to about 55%. Has anyone found a way to put Pigments into draft mode?

a9k1tp wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:26 am
antic604 wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:04 pm
+1
So true, but if you are going to copy, copy the best :D I would be quite happy if Dune 3 also went this way.

Regarding the OP question, this one is a definate 'both' for me; one is simply the best sounding VST (to my ears) but with quite an old fashion way of routing and very little feedback as to what is going on...and the other is simply the most advanced/fun GUI and almost modular workflow and amazing visualisation of modulation, an absolute JOY to work with.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Return to “Instruments”