Dune 3 or Arturia Pigments?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
DUNE 3 Pigments 5 Universal - Dune 3 Presets

Yep. I would like to have MPE (and microtuning) in all synths.
However, it‘s not a must since it‘s easy to create MPE templates inside my DAW. I even prefer the FX per voice then :D

seismicfm wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:03 pm So I would recommend waiting for Massive X. :tu:
Totally agree.
If not, Dune 3 is tightly coded software. Pigment is like others from Arturia. I prefer Dune 3 but will wait for Massive X.

seismicfm wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:03 pm So I would recommend waiting for Massive X. :tu:
And why do you recommend that? What do you know about Massive X that we don't know?
a9k1tp wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:30 pm Totally agree.
If not, Dune 3 is tightly coded software (?). Pigment is like others from Arturia. (?)
What are you implying? And how do you know DUNE 3 is tightly coded? Are you the coder?
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:42 pm
And why do you recommend that? What do you know about Massive X that we don't know?
If not, Dune 3 is tightly coded software (?). Pigment is like others from Arturia. (?)
What are you implying? And how do you know DUNE 3 is tightly coded? Are you the coder?
Are you a detective? What's with the interrogation?

Dune 3 has great sound and is still very light on CPU. With new Wavetable editor like Serum has, Dune 3 is clear winner considering the range of sounds you can create with it. I even prefer Hive over Pigments.
Dune 3 > Hive 1.2 > Pigments

Yeah, i must agree that Pigments is a tad lacklustre. Like the other Arturia soft synths (that's my personal opinion, nothing to argue about ;)).

Not sure if it should be a either/or though. The synths are different enough to not quite compete in the same form of sport with each other. Pigments is rather about quick and easy modulation. Dune 3 is a VA "flagship type" synth with wavetable capability. And with great analog modelled filters, which are amazingly low on CPU. And which prove my point that we can soon see Monark quality filters in modern, capable VA synths.

I went back and forth testing the two synths but eventually decided to buy Pigments. Dune3 sounds great but the update is not much more than a sonic update adding a few filters and effects.

Somewhat less enthousiastic about the presets but noodling with Pigments and creating my own sounds
I find it very fun to program and it stimulates creativity in modulation and sequencing. (It also reads WAV wavetables from other synths while in Dune 3 you need to import and convert them).
It's not the fattest sound otb but you can get there and Arturia's synths always benefit from some extra processing to make it more fat and analog sounding.
Pigments seems to be very good at the softer side of things with ever evolving ambient atmos and sequences that are very visually presented on screen. Modulation is very much its middle name.
Last edited by Stefken on Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

seismicfm wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:58 pm
Because the poster making the comment has absolutely no way to know if Dune 3 is "tightly coded" or not and it's a goofy comment to make. Nor does he have any idea about how Pigments is coded. I don't get the "like others from Arturia" comment. I don't have any issues with any of the stuff I have in V Collection. They consistently update all of the instruments.

a9k1tp wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:22 pmWith new Wavetable editor like Serum has, Dune 3 is clear winner considering the range of sounds you can create with it.
Dune 3 does not do resynthesis like Serum does

pigments is essentially a sledge in software, and players love the sledge. arturias new engine and guis have much improved over the years too. they are different instruments. also, reguarding massive X. it's NI, it's Massive, and it will be regarded as their new flagship. you can pretty much guarantee it's quality. i like Dune, but I understand the argument that it's dune 2 with extras. i just prefer dune for the oscillator quality and because i am familiar with it. it's really a personal decision guys. you have to make a personal choice.

if you are going to throw serum in the mix... i'm anti serum. i don't like the filters at all and how it's set up. i'm also anti mouse head.

rezoneight wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:45 pm
seismicfm wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:58 pm
Because the poster making the comment has absolutely no way to know if Dune 3 is "tightly coded" or not and it's a goofy comment to make. Nor does he have any idea about how Pigments is coded. I don't get the "like others from Arturia" comment. I don't have any issues with any of the stuff I have in V Collection. They consistently update all of the instruments.
Using common sense, I would think he is referring to low CPU usage. No reason for people to get so triggered if someone makes a negative comment about their favorite plugin/software. Geez. Just relax.

Dasheesh wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:53 pmi like Dune, but I understand the argument that it's dune 2 with extras. i just prefer dune for the oscillator quality and because i am familiar with it. it's really a personal decision guys. you have to make a personal choice.
For people who did not find the Dune 2 workflow to their liking, Dune 3 seems like Dune 2 with extras. For people who liked the Dune 2 workflow, it is Dune 2 with EXTRAS!! :lol:

4damind wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:57 pm
AnX wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:19 pm
4damind wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:59 pm Because you already own Dune 2, the big question is if you are a heavy user of the wavetable oscillator? Do you have some plan to create own wavetables or import wavetables from other synth? The only time I created a wavetable was with Serum, when this synth was newly released. Never again I've used this feature. So for me a wavetable editor is not such an important feature - and this is one of the main new features of Dune 3.

but it was the biggest user feature request by a mile, according to SA :shrug:
Yes, but often people buy stuff because of the big features they read on the paper but after a short time they realize that they do not use these functions at all ;)
If there is no interest to build own wavetables or to import other wavetables, the user has to ask himself: do I need a second arp, the additional parameter in the effects and a slightly modified GUI with Dune 3 or can I already do all things with Dune 2? Is it for me more interesting to "try" a new synth with a different and maybe for me easier workflow and a different sound?
If you have this instant "wow" effect with a new synth, you don't ask if you need this synth... you know that you cannot make music anymore without this new synth :P
Finally an intelligent thread about Pigments ..

I would like to ask the wiser than me on here, I have never programmed wavetable synths. I usually use my soft synths by going through the presets and finding something I like and modifying it. (I figure the presets are why I paid for the product, to save me time making my own sounds from scratch. )

After the release of Pigments, I looked at it a little more and am intrigued with the wavetable synth programming process as its interesting to tinker with it. If I already own Massive, and just want to tinker around with wavetable synth programming, I dont really need the features of Pigments right? I am reading through the reference manual of Massive and I just see it doens't have the "analogue" engine -- but other parts of it seems to be similar idea as Pigments, just a fancier GUI.
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

The random stuff and combination stuff in Pigments is pretty unique. Polyrhythm also very nice. And having an analog engine as well is a great benefit imo.

Return to “Instruments”