Using Custom ARPs in Dune 3

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I was auditioning several of the new sounds in Dune 3, having just downloaded it last night. I noticed on a couple of the ARP sounds that rather than using one of the 20 or so patterns that come with Dune 3, the programmer (KS, I believe) used a couple original MIDI files. Cool. I thought it would be cool to see what using those might sound like on other patches. But I can't see a way to do that. I looked for those MIDI files in the Dune 3 folder, but all that's there are the 20 or so factory patterns. So now I'm trying to understand how that works. If you use a non-factory pattern to create an arp for a patch, where is it stored? Where do I find the MIDI file the factory preset is using, so I can apply it to some other patch if I wish? I've combed through the Dune 3 folder, but I don't see any MIDI files there other than the factory patterns. Or, is it not possible to do this?

Most likely the MIDI is embedded in the patch but they didn't include the actual file for users to use. Kind of puzzled by this but oh well.

wagtunes wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:52 pm Most likely the MIDI is embedded in the patch but they didn't include the actual file for users to use. Kind of puzzled by this but oh well.
I was afraid that might be the case. :(

If you have Melodyne you can bounce the arp to audio, load it into Melodyne, then drag the MIDI into your DAW. This might need a DAW with ARA, though.

Or you can simply copy the pattern since there is a graphic showing the midi notes
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

v1o wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:30 am Or you can simply copy the pattern since there is a graphic showing the midi notes
It's not that easy. The grid is very small and you can't actually see what notes are in the pattern. You can get a basic shape and probably figure it out but why should we have to jump through so many hoops to do something that should be basic functionality?

funny, i just assumed all the presets were based off the included patterns, but it looks like you might be right. a simple edit or parameter lock would fix this. it was my only request for dune 3 besides bigger gui.

Or you can just program your own notes / sequences. :wink:

Midi Export was requested way back in the early days of Dune 2. It hasn't been added yet so probably not a high priority. :shrug:

But certainly the ability to create and load your own sequences is far more important ?
Richard wrote:If it has export it would force all sound designers to share their sequences, whether they want it or not.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:33 pm Or you can just program your own notes / sequences. :wink:

Midi Export was requested way back in the early days of Dune 2. It hasn't been added yet so probably not a high priority. :shrug:

But certainly the ability to create and load your own sequences is far more important ?
Richard wrote:If it has export it would force all sound designers to share their sequences, whether they want it or not.
Never thought of it this way. I guess that does make sense. Of course, on the other hand, when I create a library for a wavetable synth, I include all the wav files which could be shared freely with anybody as well. Personally, I don't have a problem with that but I guess some designers might.

I prefer the other way...drop and drag a midi file into it.
However there are some nice inspirational midi sequences in Dune 3.
Silver Man KS and Love Theme KS are my favorites so far.

I guess someone could ask Kevin what he thinks. Perhaps ask him if he would share the .mid files themselves. He might bring some insight into the subject.

One scenario mentioned was the concern that people would export the sequences, tweak them a bit or not and then use them in their own sound banks for sale. How valid that concern is I can't say but it would be interesting to hear Kevin's take on the subject.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:21 pm I guess someone could ask Kevin what he thinks. Perhaps ask him if he would share the .mid files themselves. He might bring some insight into the subject.

One scenario mentioned was the concern that people would export the sequences, tweak them a bit or not and then use them in their own sound banks for sale. How valid that concern is I can't say but it would be interesting to hear Kevin's take on the subject.
For that matter (and I'm not saying I do this <most people say my sound sets are crap anyway>) what's to stop anybody from taking a factory patch, tweak it, and then sell it as their own? I'm not saying it's done nor do I have any proof that it is, but since the presets aren't copy protected, there's nothing to stop someone from doing just that.

Me, I always start from INIT and it shows. :hihi:

A built in sequencer like the one on hardware synths would be cool. Whereby you can record individual notes or chords step by step. Having to first render a midi file and then importing it manually seems like a workflow killer.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

The arp/sequencer is the weak spot in Dune 3 IMO.
Recent releases like Cypher2, Ana2, Viper, ...have much better arps.

wagtunes wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:46 pm
For that matter (and I'm not saying I do this <most people say my sound sets are crap anyway>) what's to stop anybody from taking a factory patch, tweak it, and then sell it as their own? I'm not saying it's done nor do I have any proof that it is, but since the presets aren't copy protected, there's nothing to stop someone from doing just that.
there was a guy here a few years back who got caught doing that!
not even tweaking, just renaming patches, then releasing it as his own work.
theres fucknuts in all walks of life.

Return to “Instruments”