Dune 3 vs. Hive 2

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What's modern about Europa synth? Just curious. In my experience, when description of an instrument or effect proudly mentions "advanced spectral filter", it almost always means some shitty FFT based processing with all its glassy spectral blur artifacts and increased CPU consumption. I don't use Reason and haven't tested Europa, but in its audio demos I can clearly here such spectral effects. Could be mp3 artifacts though.

EvilDragon wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:05 pm
Grizzellda wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:50 pmLike, how would you even define a "spectral filter"??
A filter which works directly on the spectrum by breaking it down into chunks and messing with them. :)
Thanx E.D., I know it was a kinda straightforward thing...

was looking for a viewpoint from a developer, but I get what you are saying...the very basics perhaps, and appreciated! :hihi: :hihi:

Well, it's thread about Hive. Hive doesn't have any spectral filters. Don't think it needs any.

I don't know what to say about synths I don't know. All I'm saying is, I probably did it ("spectral filters") over a decade ago, and if someone catches up on it in 2018, good on them. Just don't expect me to go "OMG OMG they did it!".

didnt uhe do everything first?

Urs wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:52 pm Well, it's thread about Hive. Hive doesn't have any spectral filters. Don't think it needs any.
Got it, just verbally riff'n here. I think it needs some. Lotsa them, honestly...:hihi:
drzhnn wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:30 pm What's modern about Europa synth? Just curious. In my experience, when description of an instrument or effect proudly mentions "advanced spectral filter", it almost always means some shitty FFT based processing with all its glassy spectral blur artifacts and increased CPU consumption.
So, um....(long pause... :hihi: ) simply tell us when we can try out your products, then.

Sure, well since you imply that Europa sux... :hihi:

See, I like bullshitting with Urs because I know he can back up his positions with stuff that is real, or his company has developed, or...

basically some solid stuff on...where are we anyhow???

Oh yeah, ol' KVR ffs!!! :dog: :dog: :dog: :dog: :hihi: :lol: :hihi: :lol: :hihi: :lol: :hihi:

Well, um... simply tell us where we can hear your awesome sounding demos made with Europa, then. Since you imply it is so modern.

---
See, I can do it too :hihi:

AnX wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:36 pm didnt uhe do everything first?
I don’t know. Urs, when did you bring those carved stone things with the Ten Commandments down from the Kreuzberg? Was that before or after that other guy?
..off to play with my music toys - library music production.
http://www.FiveMinuteHippo.com

drzhnn wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:02 pm Well, um... simply tell us where we can hear your awesome sounding demos made with Europa, then. Since you imply it is so modern.
Alright!!! :hihi: :lol: :hihi: :lol:

Well said, well played, and I like it! :hihi: Hey...maybe I will provide a demo down the line...

Oh, and by the way...am I impyling Europa is modern...

Or, is Europa, in fact...modern?? :hihi: 8) :hihi: 8)

AnX wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:36 pm didnt uhe do everything first?
He told me he met the Beatles in the Indra Club in 1960 and suggested that Astrid cut their hair.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Hive is a beast now wavetables are added. Better modulation too but dune 3 has great envelopes. Both sound amazing too!

Guys, as i hear it, Dune 3 is number one synth for me from all, Soft or Hardware, maybe when Hive 2 will released it will be better,because in the time when Hive was released it was number one for me! Dune 3 is richer, clearer, more sterephonic, it's like updated Hive lol) But U-He released another great monster - Repro, so both Repro+Hive can sounds even better than alone Dune) anyway better use them all
VST & Hardware presets, FL Studio templates, samples and MIDI from NatLife & friends -www.natlifesounds.com

I’ve really enjoyed every synth from U-He that I’ve tried! Is it pretty pointless to get both Hive 2 and Zebra 3 when they come out though?

CircuitTree wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:12 am I’ve really enjoyed every synth from U-He that I’ve tried! Is it pretty pointless to get both Hive 2 and Zebra 3 when they come out though?
Well, Hive 2 will be out in 3-4 months... and you will want it at that time and it will be available.

Zebra 3 could be another year. So no reason to wait that long... so get Hive :) (and decide later when Zebra 3 comes out whether you want to keep it)

Comparisons between synthesizers are often (almost always?) feature centric. Like, "who's got more?" - but I think people aren't doing themselves favours if they argue that way.

While I'm sure that Zebra3 will be a superset of Hive in terms of features, it's the workflow which is different. Hive does what Zebra strives to accomplish (everything you need visible at once) at the expense of choice. But within the frame of Hive's limitations, people have achieved sound designs that go beyond anything anyone has ever done in Zebra when using the same choices (2 osc + 2 filters). People simply do other things in Zebra than they do in Hive. I believe that difference will increase even once both reach a new major version.

Return to “u-he”