DUNE 3 is now available!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

The only qualms I have in this case is the term "voice" because it's neither one of the voices of polyphony, nor is it an individual instrument in a multi-timbral arrangement.

Calling them "layers" would be much more appropriate.

iHartBeats wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:51 pm May as well just use Serum now. It's clearly established itself as the thought leader in the VST world.
TBH, no interpolation/morph on the wavetables is pretty much a no-go for me in a wavetable synth. Also doubtful that it is the "thought leader in the VST world".

chk071 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:32 pm
iHartBeats wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:51 pm May as well just use Serum now. It's clearly established itself as the thought leader in the VST world.
TBH, no interpolation/morph on the wavetables is pretty much a no-go for me in a wavetable synth. Also doubtful that it is the "thought leader in the VST world".
Serum has 2 morph modes since the release day :shrug: And yes, on that year it's been voted #1 synth in MusicRadar poll.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

DJ Warmonger wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:35 pm Serum has 2 morph modes since the release day :shrug:
Those merely seem to create "intermediate images" between 2 wavetable frames in the editor. What i mean is a morph algrithm in the oscillator like the one in Dune 3, the Waldorf synths, or also in Icarus, where your morph between the waves in the wavetables. A.k.a. interpolation parameter in the mentioned synth.

Well if a synth wins an online poll, then that clearly means it's the best. Case closed.

chk071 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:39 pm
DJ Warmonger wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:35 pm Serum has 2 morph modes since the release day :shrug:
Those merely seem to create "intermediate images" between 2 wavetable frames in the editor. What i mean is a morph algrithm in the oscillator like the one in Dune 3, the Waldorf synths, or also in Icarus, where your morph between the waves in the wavetables. A.k.a. interpolation parameter in the mentioned synth.
Uhm sorry, I don't understand your distinction.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

The distinction is: Give Serum a wavetable with no intermediate frames, and it'll sound steppy. While in other synths, there will be a smooth interpolation. At least that's how i always read it about it. I never really tried Serum. But, i surely won't anyway, unless they built in interpolation on oscillator level. Maybe it works for the Serum included wavetables, because they have interpolation frames.

Dune 3 now has an Interpolation Knob in the WT Osc. It allows smooth transitions between wavs in a table or abrupt changes more suited for rhythmic type sounds.

I think what we often fail to consider is that we all make different music and hence require different sounds. Even two people in the same Genre will want different sounds.

So there is no such thing as the overall "Number One" synth. Number one for what ? EDM, New Age ? Synth Rock ? Etc etc etc ?

It's like saying the number one motorized vehicle. For what ? Hauling lumber ? Going 200 MPH ? Just taking the kids safely to soccer practice ?

If you care what some online poll with a minuscule sample set says rather than that little voice in your head that says "this is the best synth for me" then I think you're missing the point.....
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Was just playing around with the WT thingy, maybe I am doing something wrong, I just can't figure out where the appeal is 8)

fluffy_little_something wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:13 pm Was just playing around with the WT thingy, maybe I am doing something wrong, I just can't figure out where the appeal is 8)
Going by the sounds that you have consistently shown you like, a wavetable will do nothing for you.

wagtunes wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:17 pm
fluffy_little_something wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:13 pm Was just playing around with the WT thingy, maybe I am doing something wrong, I just can't figure out where the appeal is 8)
Going by the sounds that you have consistently shown you like, a wavetable will do nothing for you.
Yes, I guess I will leave WT and FM to the synth freaks out there :hihi:

Some typical wavetable sounds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amUT8upya48

You surely listened to a lot of music made with the PPG Wave, BTW. ;)

Dasheesh wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:08 am if it's purple you get a hug.
Is this the Purple you wanted ? Do you want the LEDs purple as well ?

D3 121118-1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:28 pm
Dasheesh wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:08 am if it's purple you get a hug.
Is this the Purple you wanted ? Do you want the LEDs purple as well ?

D3 121118-1.png

oooooo, I just stopped in to see if you had been kind enough to throw that up yet. I could even go a little more purple, but thats lovley! maybe a little violet or pink? more pretty colors!

Looks like blue to me 8)
Probably too dark for that already dark skin, try turquoise or light green :wink:
But almost any color looks fine on black...

Can you change the background of options that appear on some parameters and of value readouts? For instance with the FM algorithm selector, it doesn't look good.
Last edited by fluffy_little_something on Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”