What were your go-to synths for 2018?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I didn't do much writing, really, but I think I basically used just five noisemaking things all year:
  • Synth1
  • The built-in sampler in OpenMPT
  • VSTSynthFont (the best at just straightforward SF2 playback)
  • PICO-8's built-in synth(honestly kind of awful but if I'm making a PICO-8 game, that's the option)
  • Casio SA-46
There are more powerful synths than Synth1, for sure, and at various points I did use one or two other free plugs for a specific timbre, but it just ends up being the familiar go-to if I want my mind clear.

For the rest, I'm liking doing the low-fi sampler/rompler/toy-keys thing. I have the licenses for much heavier plugins, but I don't have those installed on this laptop. But it's quite easy to keep the old Digital Sound Factory libraries around as a default, and VSTSynthFont gets out of the way and lets me just use that stuff. It's reflective of a gradual shift in how I've been thinking about workflow: if I want most of my focus to be on the macro-scale of production, I need to minimize the time I spend on sound design, and we have decades of good synth patch concepts to draw upon. Sometimes it helps to give the knobs a little tweak, but more often it's solvable with mix and arrangement decisions: What am I communicating and what timbres should I emphasize to communicate it the best at this moment? That's something that I can't get just by auditioning a cool sounding patch. The cool sounding patch will make me go "whoa, that's cool," and then spend the next few hours redesigning the track around it, because I didn't go in knowing what I was designing in the first place.

Now, arpeggiators, chord generators, step sequencers, that kind of thing, I can still get excited about. Those are very impactful and lead me to more happy accidents. I especially enjoy working with stuff like ChordPulse as a starting point because it suggests what a track *could* be when arranged, before I go and try to write any parts in detail.

Edit: Oh, and I did get a copy of Synthmaster last month. But I got the $9 library player version, cause hey, cheap preset source :wink:

Triplefox wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:38 am I didn't do much writing, really, but I think I basically used just five noisemaking things all year:
  • Synth1
  • The built-in sampler in OpenMPT
  • VSTSynthFont (the best at just straightforward SF2 playback)
  • PICO-8's built-in synth(honestly kind of awful but if I'm making a PICO-8 game, that's the option)
  • Casio SA-46
There are more powerful synths than Synth1, for sure, and at various points I did use one or two other free plugs for a specific timbre, but it just ends up being the familiar go-to if I want my mind clear.

For the rest, I'm liking doing the low-fi sampler/rompler/toy-keys thing. I have the licenses for much heavier plugins, but I don't have those installed on this laptop. But it's quite easy to keep the old Digital Sound Factory libraries around as a default, and VSTSynthFont gets out of the way and lets me just use that stuff. It's reflective of a gradual shift in how I've been thinking about workflow: if I want most of my focus to be on the macro-scale of production, I need to minimize the time I spend on sound design, and we have decades of good synth patch concepts to draw upon. Sometimes it helps to give the knobs a little tweak, but more often it's solvable with mix and arrangement decisions: What am I communicating and what timbres should I emphasize to communicate it the best at this moment? That's something that I can't get just by auditioning a cool sounding patch. The cool sounding patch will make me go "whoa, that's cool," and then spend the next few hours redesigning the track around it, because I didn't go in knowing what I was designing in the first place.

Now, arpeggiators, chord generators, step sequencers, that kind of thing, I can still get excited about. Those are very impactful and lead me to more happy accidents. I especially enjoy working with stuff like ChordPulse as a starting point because it suggests what a track *could* be when arranged, before I go and try to write any parts in detail.

Edit: Oh, and I did get a copy of Synthmaster last month. But I got the $9 library player version, cause hey, cheap preset source :wink:
I just checked those out. Wow. thats pretty cool. I completely forget there is a 8-bit music movement still going strong. Makes be want to pull up my old original Creative Labs soundfont manager CD and tinker with them.
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

Repro-1/5
Diva
Omnisphere
Spire

I think 2019 will be:
Arturia V collection
Dune 3
Repro1/5

voidhead23 wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:32 am
machinesworking wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:57 amIt's not impossible for me to understand being frozen by choices, but having started out in the 80's with a sequencer and an Ensonique Mirage, and being frustrated by limitations I think I haven't run out of ideas I didn't get to exploit back then because of those limitations.
See, i find that situation a lot of fun and sometimes try to mimic it by setting up software limitations before starting a project. The must fun i ever had was creating a set of dystopian pop tunes using a MiniBrute, a Telecaster with one pickup, a Pocket Operator drum machine, and Live's Sampler for software (and i could only sample stuff from sci-fi movies). The tunes weren't great, but i had a blast making them, trying to figure out how to get the sounds i wanted from what i had.
It's only fun if you're doing it purposefully. Kind of like playing a cheap balsa wood Silvertone guitar is only fun if you actually intentionally bought one for it's limitations.

Your point is valid though, self imposed limitations can be valuable creative tools helping you to actually make choices, which is a problem these days, basically a problem of affluence. We have affluenza! :lol:

Synthmaster 2 - Main go to
Synthmaster 1 2nd go to
Kontackt 6 player
Reaktor 6 player
Xpandi2
Hybrid 3
Viper
Tyrell N6
Zebralette

What I use for FX
Dblue_Glitch 1 - Main go to tool -used to be Gross Beats, but this free plugin can beat Gross Beats IMO
Halftime
Neutron Elements
Guitar Rig - About to become a goto of mine.
DoomTune.com

Introspective wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:43 pm
seismicfm wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:43 pm
JerGoertz wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:31 pm
seismicfm wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:12 pmSynthmaster always sounds weak and thin, almost like soft synths from 10-15 years ago. Maybe the factory presets are just not good.
Uncanny. I was thinking exactly the same thing yesterday. Something "brittle" about the sound...[snip]
Once every couple of months I reinstall it hoping maybe this time it would sound great, but I end up removing it after a few hours. [snip]
Yup, "like soft synths from 10-15 years ago" is a good summary. I never got into it because of this.

As Wags said (early in the thread), that *can* be the appeal of it: thinner synths do tend to fit in thick mixes better. ...But if that's your game, I can think of better UIs (and less itchy marketing departments) to reach for... But, hey, the SM marketing blitz *worked*, as evidenced by the number of people listing it among their go-tos here this week. More power to 'em. ...just count me out. ;)
A lot of the old presets were built in SM2 before they upgraded the filters etc. You can litterally transform the sound of one of those dull presets instantly by changing to a different filter, like the dual filter they have that i use the most, will instantly warm the sound drastically. And their modulation options are unbeleivable, you can modulate almost anything on the synth.
DoomTune.com

This week it seems to be Dune 3.
--After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.

-Aldous Huxley

This year i bought:Diva,Re-pro,Massive,Fm8,The Legend,Avenger,Omnisphere 2,Nexus 2,Sylenth1,Serum,Spire,Falcon,Dune 3,Synthmaster 2...plenty of redundancy,,,So for the 2019 :The New Massive X,Diva and Falcon i think that all i need..probably will try the new Zebra and will sell some plug in as Nexus 2 and Avenger.

DSI Mopho SE (I use this way more as a synth I ever thought I would, I bought it mainly to be a nice controller kb)
DSI Evolver
Linplug Spectral
Reaktor Blocks
NI Prism
Madrona Labs Aalto

Other synths make only more or less random appearances for specific things or moods, but I'm likely adding Kaivo and Sumu and a hw poly so things will change a bit in 2019. Like they always do :)

Serum
Hive and Repro 5
Omnisphere 2 and Keyscape
Roland Cloud D-50 and SRX Keyboards

Long live 2018:

Tangle
ArcSyn
Spectral
SynthMaster2
Zebra
Synclavier
Alchemy