Feedback on an older-style trance track

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The first full-length project I've finished in about four months...

Looking for any advice/feedback on things like mixing, EQ, structure etc, I'm going for an authentic 1999-2002 ish kind of sound.

https://soundcloud.com/spatial-sound/tr ... -2/s-j8jAD

Any feedback would be grateful!

Last edited by Vortifex on Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vortifex wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:05 pm The square/tri sound you chose for the main lead is atypical for the genre at that time, back then it was all about those big saw leads
ummm thats hardly a lead, its more an arp than anything else.
as Cham would say... it NEEDS a lead.

pretty good mix.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

It's great but I think it needs a catchier hook/melody :)
http://afilion.ca
Facebook, Twitter & SoundCloud @afilionmusic

The square/tri sound you chose for the main lead is atypical for the genre at that time, back then it was all about those big saw leads (as it still is today).
Nope, absolutely Agree with layzer. This is not an eurotrance track, it's progressive and very true to the style I'd say. No complains here. Actually I miss classic progressive tunes like that ;(

The mix is good indeed, given that you used pretty minimal and thin sounds as a base. The intro needs more love to sound bigger. Also the pad gets very muddy - probably EQ issue. Lead feels artifically widened, very odd in general.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Return to “Music Cafe”