One Synth Challenge #117: ModulAir by Full Bucket (Rellik Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
ModulAir

Still in exploration mode, here's a Glocken sound, done using Allpass filters. Quite impressive, I find, regarding the synth, of course...not me! :oops:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I have uploaded my patches to Modulairs productpage. There is 36 of them in the zipfile.
TheNeverScene was kind enough to help me out with a drumpatch. I have not included that but there is my extended versions of it.
It was fun to create sounds. And hard.
Then it was time to work with it in the daw. Not that fun.
I thought i had read all that was to read about handling my daw. But get it to work with multiple instances of a softsynth proved to be a bit of a struggle.
Yesterday i had a complete working setup. Eight days left to learn and use effects on it. :o
This morning i just had to add my bells i'm so proud of. Made a short intro with them.
Sounded ok in the daw. In winamp i could hear that the newly added bells interacted with distortion as a result. I got an idea to a quick fix by shorten some of the notes duration.
So...i think i'll leave it in this state. Probably just going to make it worse if i put effects on it without any clou to proper usage.
Has anyone ever made a contribution without effects?
Give me a moment to upload it to soundcloud and link it here. Then you are in for a treat (or not).

So here it is:
https://soundcloud.com/user-912159791/s ... fun-k-jazz

Daw - CbB (Cakewalk by Bandlab).
Modulair - 9 instances.
NO EFFECTS - Just adjustment of volume and shortened some notes.
The song is a "style" from Garageband (on a xp machine).
I see it as free song and thus should not fall in the category of covers.

TheNeverScene wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:04 pm Hi Bjorn, will the new Master module allow for modulation of ADSR parameters?
Ups, sorry, but better a late answer than none at all. ;-)
I plan a new module for that.

Cheers, Björn

Full Bucket wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:15 am
TheNeverScene wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:04 pm Hi Bjorn, will the new Master module allow for modulation of ADSR parameters?
Ups, sorry, but better a late answer than none at all. ;-)
I plan a new module for that.

Cheers, Björn
Not just a late answer, but a great answer :D

Thanks!
Just a touch of EQ and a tickle of compression

Saffran wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:20 pm So here it is:
https://soundcloud.com/user-912159791/s ... fun-k-jazz

Daw - CbB (Cakewalk by Bandlab).
Modulair - 9 instances.
NO EFFECTS - Just adjustment of volume and shortened some notes.
The song is a "style" from Garageband (on a xp machine).
I see it as free song and thus should not fall in the category of covers.
You've got some really nice sounds in there! BUT (I could be wrong on this), I don't think a pre-composed midi song or loop is allowed, especially if they aren't your own parts. Maybe someone will chime in on this because I'm also curious.

As for no effects, one OSC'er (Guenon) actually did a track with a single instance of a synth that sounded like about twenty. Pretty amazing! Effects usage is pretty subjective and I think it all boils down to taste and what someone is trying to achieve in the end.

If the verdict on the pre-fab tune is "no", you still have time to scrap all the midi and hammer out a new track with the sounds you've created.

TheNeverScene wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:00 pm If the verdict on the pre-fab tune is "no", you still have time to scrap all the midi and hammer out a new track with the sounds you've created.
Ok.
I'm no Avicii. If i get inspiration to compose something in time i will.
Doubtful though. To come up with a fresh melody is the hardest thing there is.

Yeah, no, that's not what this "competition" is about, Saffran, sorry. It's all about making your own song with one synth. But it's a nice effort for sure. You also don't need to be a superstar composer, but it's about a musicians ability to create a song from scratch with only one given synth.

Saffran wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:44 pm
TheNeverScene wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:00 pm If the verdict on the pre-fab tune is "no", you still have time to scrap all the midi and hammer out a new track with the sounds you've created.
Ok.
I'm no Avicii. If i get inspiration to compose something in time i will.
Doubtful though. To come up with a fresh melody is the hardest thing there is.
I'm sorry, but yeah, I do believe TheNeverScene is right - the track must be written by the contestant for OSC: "Your entry must be composed specifically for this contest." (https://sites.google.com/site/kvrosc/rules)

But you don't always need a melody - experiment with your patches, create a mood, an interlude - if you don't have the time to elaborate, it doesn't have to be more than a minute or so. It might not win you the competition, but at least you're setting the wheels in motion! And you also bond with the community, and might get some valuable feedback during the voting process. Good luck! :)
All Ted Mountainé's Songs on Spotify | Soundcloud | Twitter | His Latest Videos
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

You've got the hard part out of the way, especially with such a complex synth, and I think you might surprise yourself, Saffran. Get to it! :D

Anyone have any tips on a pseudo choir?

TheNeverScene wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:25 pm Anyone have any tips on a pseudo choir?
Try this one around C4 as base and a bit of reverb :) I didn't test this particular instance with headphones, so it's probably a bit rough around the edges - try adjusting the osc formant and filter settings first.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
All Ted Mountainé's Songs on Spotify | Soundcloud | Twitter | His Latest Videos
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

Sweet, Schiing! Thanks! I'll give it a whirl

Hmmm...not quite so nice, but here are two attempts. I have no idea how I could make wavetables right now and am too lazy to dig deeper, so... these are just oscillators.
Here, too, a good reverb may help, but also this all goes more towards church choirs. Anyway, ideas...

Thanks Taron, I'll check that one too. I ended up piling up a bunch of fm oscillators into a couple of resonators for now. Sounds nothing like a choir by itself, but resembles a boy's choir in the mix. Tough egg to crack!

Return to “Instruments”