New Mac Mini

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This looks like a very cost effective system for anyone who wants a mac based DAW IMO.

3.0GHz 6‑core 8th‑generation Intel Core i5 (Turbo Boost up to 4.1GHz)
16GB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630
256GB SSD storage
Gigabit Ethernet (10/100/1000BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet using RJ-45 connector)

All that for $1639 ? Not bad.

The lack of internal storage isn't really a big problem. Just buy a TB3 RAID drive and you'll have all the storage space you need.
:borg:

Not impressed. I'm hoping for at least 2 more years from this iMac, more would be great. 4ghz i7, 32gig RAM, 2tb fusion drive, Nov. 2015.

Had a bad experience with a mini-server, won't risk that kind of money for what I'd want on another.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

According to this article the T2 prevents the swapping out of the computer’s SSD.

https://m.hardocp.com/news/2018/10/05/a ... r_repairs/

my God they can't even at least throw in an i7 for that price! Do you know how much cheaper this same hardware can really cost. I mean a 256 GB hd, really? that is like $25 now
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

fastlanephil wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:06 am According to this article the T2 prevents the swapping out of the computer’s SSD.

That's not news, Apple has been doing that for a while.

Anyhow, it's not really that bad. You have to think of the HD that you buy with the system as the system drive and use the Thunderbolt connections for external storage.
:borg:

V0RT3X wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:26 am
fastlanephil wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:06 am According to this article the T2 prevents the swapping out of the computer’s SSD.

That's not news, Apple has been doing that for a while.

Anyhow, it's not really that bad. You have to think of the HD that you buy with the system as the system drive and use the Thunderbolt connections for external storage.
If you think preventing user repairs is not bad, I don't know what to say.
~stratum~

Doesn't say anything about the Minis there.
There are 3 kinds of people:
Those who can do maths and those who can't.

V0RT3X wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:26 am Anyhow, it's not really that bad. You have to think of the HD that you buy with the system as the system drive and use the Thunderbolt connections for external storage.
Why would I have to think that way? Especially as cloning system drives couldn't be easier as with OSX.

It's really about the OS. Anyone can build a powerful system with the similar specs for way less. You just can't (legally) get OSX.

Now, if Apple wanted to begin licensing out OSX...

sdB Digital wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:13 am Now, if Apple wanted to begin licensing out OSX...
This is never gonna happen.
In fact, it's even pretty likely that you won't be able to build a Hackintosh anymore in a mere few years. Once Apples own CPUs are used for system relevant tasks, the Hackintosh party most likely will be over.

sdB Digital wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:13 am It's really about the OS. Anyone can build a powerful system with the similar specs for way less. You just can't (legally) get OSX.
You can "legally" obtain macOS if you have a Mac. And you can "legally" install it on any computer you have. I think that was already established. Otherwise, why would Apple "swallow" all the "Hackintosh" sites without taking legal actions?
Last edited by fmr on Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:43 am You can "legally" obtain macOS if you have a Mac. And you can "legally" install it on ant computer you have. I think that was already established. Otherwise, why would Apple "swallow" all the "Hackintosh" sites without taking legal actions?
I think they could've taken legal actions. it just wasn't much in their interest or relevant for them at all to give a damn. The overall amount of Hackintosh users most likely is so small that they simply don't have to care, especially as their main revenue is coming from iProduct sales these days.
And as said, it's likely that future OSX versions won't be Hackintosh compatible anymore. They're already starting things with Mojave, requiring a specific GPU. Then there's the T2 processors.

My prediction would be that in around 5 years from now, none of their current line of machines can be updated to the latest OSX anymore, let alone Hackintoshs. I would even suspect them to unify iOS and OSX even more, the final thing very likely being a switch over to their own CPUs. For their own ecosystem, this will possibly be a massive leap forward - sure, obviously only as long as people are buying into it. But so far it doesn't seem as if people wouldn't do so.

ARM-powered Windows laptops are already beginning to appear so in a few years if Apple switch to their own chips it's not unlikely that you'll be able to Hackintosh an ARM machine.
Image Image Image Image

sprnva wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:29 am ARM-powered Windows laptops are already beginning to appear so in a few years if Apple switch to their own chips it's not unlikely that you'll be able to Hackintosh an ARM machine.
But they are really lame. But since the new iPads are as fast as the macbook pro 2018 i7 with 2.6 GHz (at least on paper) i wonder what they could do if you put more and faster into a notebook.
But then if that goes on i maybe change my mind and next iPads or the generation after are already much better than a laptop.
The truth is i would go full iPad and sell my macbook if i could get more pro music tools for it right now. But i guess it´s just a matter of time.
At this point i think macOS and macbooks at least have no bright future and are not of much interest for Apple.
I don´t like windows but as a desktop OS i feel it has a better future than macOS and iOS will take over as soon as X-code will be for iOS.
At the end i don ´t care if i have a good workflow and can get all the tools i want on a certain platform.

Ugh, ya'all can complain all you want. I'm probably going to replace my old mac mini with a new mac mini. It will sit right next to my windows machine. At least Windows now has the linux subsystem. It's not perfect but life with windows is a little less annoying.

Some mac users are blind to the apple tax, some people who use macs, (see, I'm not a "mac guy"), are aware that it's there but it's just small potatoes in the big scheme of things.

If you want to have a mac, you pay the apple tax.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”