donkeyt - Stop me if you think that I'm a bore

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've done a metel song this year, so now surely time to aim some more vitrol at Morrissey - it's been a while.

After a titanic struggle I managed to successfully change the strings on the Shitenbacker 12 string electric, and immediately the jangle was better, although somwhat redolent of The Smiths. Hmm, I thought, in for a penny.... :hihi:

http://www.bennyleeds7.myfreeola.uk/don ... 261018.mp3

Vocal may yet need evening out/be a bit louder, I'll see.

Back to the sinthesiser song... :scared:
Last edited by donkey tugger on Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:42 am, edited 4 times in total.

Enjoyable listen and a catchy arrangement, with lovely guitar playing.
Indeed sounds very Smithsy, although your vocal delivery is perhaps a tad more upbeat (thank goodness)
TBH, I think the vocal level might be okay but the drums (particularly the snare) is a bit too loud or dry.
Strong ending, I like it.
Cheers.

dark water wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:54 pm but the drums (particularly the snare) is a bit too loud or dry.
Good call - I'm bugger for doing it. Plus, I was f**king about so much with the vocals and acoustic guitars I forgot about the drums. Added a bit more reverb, turned the snare down a little, and the overall kit down a bit too. Not much, but it sits nicer with the style of the song now. New version uploaded. Cheers!

stop

jk - keep on rocking son

:=)
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

Mister Natural wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:18 pm stop

I wondered..... :hihi:

Prefer some of your other tracks on BC, but yeah ... don't stop
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

I think the songs pretty good but the vocals are too far back in the mix. Maybe the guitars need to be remixed some.

Lotuzia wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:48 pm Prefer some of your other tracks on BC, but yeah ... don't stop
I've got a few other things lined up (to be fair this was far too easy, but the new strings on the 12 strings...); some type of 60s psychedelic bizness and ting, a bit of sinthesiser pop, Stooges full on garage rokk.

You've got to mix it up...

fastlanephil wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:10 am I think the songs pretty good but the vocals are too far back in the mix.
Mebbe, I've lived with it a bit now.. perhaps a touch though.
fastlanephil wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:10 am Maybe the guitars need to be remixed some.
A bit vague! Do tell...

Love it. Whilst The Smiths are one of my favourite bands Steven Patrick is now a total arsehole of a man. Looking forward to your synth song :borg:
can't sing, can't play, looks awful.....

Guitar mix: Your strumming guitar has a lush full sound and basically owns the stereo wide field. With the other accent guitars I wouldn't have matching stereo doubles panned hard left/right. It's a busy picking piece so everyone needs there own spacial position so not to sound like a chorus of jumbled parts. Correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like you doubled the main picking rhythm with basically the same tone. I would change to One tone with a little more VST warmth 50 Right pan and a lower delay panned to the left. Should get a neat tapping effect from those fast picks at 1/4 or 1/8 delay which would be better IMO than a doubled part which doesn't match exactly and doesn't chorus well. Either way I would narrow the field on the more interesting picking parts and keep the wide strums with accent parts and various odd pan numbers. 2:28 background vocal effects "Tell me" can come up. Sound great. The main vocal to my ears was spot on the whole song.

beanpole wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:15 pm Love it. Whilst The Smiths are one of my favourite bands Steven Patrick is now a total arsehole of a man. Looking forward to your synth song :borg:
Cheers! Johnny Marr is still one of good guys at least. :love:

Tbase2000 wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:30 pm Guitar mix: Your strumming guitar has a lush full sound and basically owns the stereo wide field. With the other accent guitars I wouldn't have matching stereo doubles panned hard left/right. It's a busy picking piece so everyone needs there own spacial position so not to sound like a chorus of jumbled parts. Correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like you doubled the main picking rhythm with basically the same tone. I would change to One tone with a little more VST warmth 50 Right pan and a lower delay panned to the left. Should get a neat tapping effect from those fast picks at 1/4 or 1/8 delay which would be better IMO than a doubled part which doesn't match exactly and doesn't chorus well. Either way I would narrow the field on the more interesting picking parts and keep the wide strums with accent parts and various odd pan numbers. 2:28 background vocal effects "Tell me" can come up. Sound great. The main vocal to my ears was spot on the whole song.
Thanks for the detailed listen, always good to get another considered perspective, especially from a geetarist.

I have used that technique with the delay a few times (and it's a good un!) but for this I did want the twin 12 string for the full-on jangle with that natural chorus, in the Smiths stylee. You have got me thinking though about narrowing the stereo width of them a bit (whilst leaving the acoustics hard panned) and also differentiating them a bit more in terms of amp sounds for each, plus making them a bit 'spikier', ie. with less mid cut around 2k. I shall have a f**k about and see what I can come up with.

That's worked out nice with the geetars! New version uploaded up the top. Left it with just the backing vocal right at the end though - like the washed out effect.

I've always been an arse.

Return to “Music Cafe”