Sounds trendy in the real world, but not yet in samples

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ramy Antoun's demos for A&F drums are good sources of ideas like that - sometimes even ideas which can be copied without buying their expensive wares, heh. No idea what those BFD resonator cymbals might be, though.

Stacks can be recorded quickly and easily, but not sure how well they'd work as a standalone library. For productions where the idea is to sound like a human drummer playing a kit in a specific space, is it hard to make them blend with the "regular" cymbals recorded in a different room with a different mics?

There definitely is a problem with no bleed or naturalism with the others, ideally. However, how much is really detectable is another question.
I use a fair amount of VSL cymbals, and what I do is send the ambient channels from BFD3 to a Near decorrelated room and the others to the same. So it would have to be like that, those do stick out but I tell myself it's the orchestral cymbal player and they're set elsewhere than the drum kit.
Other than those, I have to say I don't even buy other drums products because of this. It would have to be a special situation.

I've gotten to where I don't like to mix rooms, unless it's something kind of weird in a Kontakt sound design (SonicCouture, SoundIron). I used an Orchestral Tools Berlin strings recently but I have a convolution of that very soundstage ("Teldex") so no problem.

Yeah, that's kinda what I'm thinking - while it won't be as bad as having a snare or an extra tom recorded in a different room, it'll still be off, and stacks etc. are best included as part of a coherent-sounding kit. As fun and quick as it would be to just record a bunch of quick-decaying stacks, it's not going to be all that useful to people who want things to sound like a drummer.

Maybe I should go ask that jazz drummer who bought a few cheap Soviet Bloc cymbals off me what he did with them, too. Not that jazz is trendy, but I suspect he had some weird plans.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”