Can't Stop Old Loves feat. Johnathan (Hip-Hop)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just released another song. Again this with produced with Rhythmic Robot sample libraries. Enjoy!

Listen to Can't Stop Old Loves featuring Johnathan by Saukar #np on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/saukar/cant-stop-old-loves
I read more than post = I listen more than I talk

My Feedback

Music - 7.5
Instruments - 7
Performance - 8.5
Mix - 6

Overall - 7.25

Comments: Mix is really dull behind the vocals. Perhaps this was intentional. Vocals very dry. Again, maybe intentional. Just seems to me the whole thing needs a little more life. Definitely some EQ, reverb, compression, something somewhere. It just sounds so dead. Maybe it's just me. Hopefully, others will put in their two cents.

Thanks for the comments, Wags.

I actually was aiming for this type of sound. I wanted to keep everything as natural as possible. Its supposed to have the feel of an old school soul sample... but the dry lifeless part 😁

Saukar30 wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:53 pm Thanks for the comments, Wags.

I actually was aiming for this type of sound. I wanted to keep everything as natural as possible. Its supposed to have the feel of an old school soul sample... but the dry lifeless part 😁
Okay, then mission accomplished. I'm not even sure I'd know HOW to do a mix like that. It definitely had a very "recorded in your basement on an old tape deck" kind of sound. So well done.

I like this raw 'demo tape' sound. Has a realness.
Personally cant stand polished over produced rap and hiphop.

The drums are a little loud compared to the other instruments but thats just me being picky if I have to criticise soemthing.
Amazon: why not use an alternative

wagtunes wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:18 pm
Saukar30 wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:53 pm Thanks for the comments, Wags.

Okay, then mission accomplished. I'm not even sure I'd know HOW to do a mix like that. It definitely had a very "recorded in your basement on an old tape deck" kind of sound. So well done.
Lol thanks again. The source sounds themselves were really grungy to begin with. Check out www.rhythmicrobot.com. They make a lot of old crusty dorty sounding Kontakt libraries... they just do them very well.

VariKusBrainZ wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:28 pm I like this raw 'demo tape' sound. Has a realness.
Personally cant stand polished over produced rap and hiphop.

The drums are a little loud compared to the other instruments but thats just me being picky if I have to criticise soemthing.
Thanks Varius. Im an.old guy and grew up listening to hiphop on cassettes/vinyl back in the 80s & such so that sound grew with me. Not to mention my Dad's old record collection. We never had a lot of money so all the music always had a dirty edge to it when I listened.

The drums I did like that on purpose. The rest of the mix is really bland (on purpose). The drums take it somewhere else. Young man excitement, old man ears lol.

Fare enough mate :)

It was just me looking for something to be critical about.

I grew up listening to badly produced speed/death metal on cassette :)
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Death metal sounds great on tape!

Frantz would love the dry dull sound of it. the freq-spectrum balance and dynamics are quit good actually, comfortable on the phones and hats have a nice sizzle to them.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

I think the track could be even warmer and old schooly than it is currently. I'm not suggesting low passing, or even making it sound like a 60's vynl track. But maybe adding more color to vocals and overall instrumentation. It's still all very nice. I wouldn't know too much about how to make something sound old and retro.

Return to “Music Cafe”