Kush Audio - GoldPlate Reverb

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Heads up this is $39 via BF sale. It's the only Kush plugin I don't have because the price has always been out of reach. I was surprised to see it for $39 and picked it up. The Kush harmonic profile and the squish compressor give this reverb some unique character, IMHO giving it a vibe outside of the usual plate reverb.

i'm tempted, i'll have a new macbook soon so i'll be able to run this one with no trouble.
is it a no-brainer for $39? do you think you'll use it much? does it compare to any other verbs?

i like the simplicity of the controls, but my demo unfortunately expired before i could have a good go of it.

sqigls wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:26 am i'm tempted, i'll have a new macbook soon so i'll be able to run this one with no trouble.
is it a no-brainer for $39? do you think you'll use it much? does it compare to any other verbs?

i like the simplicity of the controls, but my demo unfortunately expired before i could have a good go of it.
Where Goldplate is unique is the kush saturation and compression with-in the signal flow. This allows me to create 'grain" in the reverb. The compressor sort of makes the reverb "float" around the source contextually vs sounding more attached to it, which is also a unique sound. I suppose I could run a plate reverb into a distortion and then compressor plugin. But I have convidence Gregory "tuned" his unique flavour of distortion and compression vibe to work with the reverb in a particularily nice way. I can see evidence of this in that the Drive and Squish components blend in nicely with the reverb. So for that, and because I like Kush, I'm more than happy to pay $39, which I think is a steal. This was a $200 plugin at launch and that really wasn't an outrageous price for a nice plate reverb with some cool tail distortion and compression tuned for the charachter of the reverb.

I've always liked using compression to "detach" the reverb from the source in this way. I've also experimented with saturating reverb tail but I never found a "groove" with it such that it became a common technique. So to have these built into a really nice versative plate (from Relab) and then with Kush's special touch. Drive and Squish can a create a nice bloom effect in the tail shortly that is very pleasing. Yes, I would use Goldplate a fair amount because I like the sandy, disconnected bloom it create. I already wish I could bypass the reverb and just use the drive and squish with other reverbs I have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0XGXz6SHco

Trying the demo for this (and transatlantic plates for comparison) now. Very different sound between the two, I really like both though.

Problem is I'm getting audio glitches with the Kush GP, sounds almost like cpu issues but cpu looks ok (though pretty high for one instance of reverb). I just updated to Monterey and I wonder if that has anything to do with it (R4 won't work at all, hence wanting a new verb or two). Or, could it be the demo introducing glitches on purpose? Seems unlikely as it happens pretty constantly. I've got a note in with them. I'd already have picked it up if not for that, I really like the sound of it on vocals.

Edit: bumped my buffer up (too high for recording, but fine for mixing) and the issue went away. it was also happening a bit with one of my other reverbs I'm demoing, but not as much.

I grabbed valhalla plate to go with goldplate and a couple others I had in this demo spree, and I have to say I prefer transatlantic plate on vocals over any of them. Not sure I like it considering the price for just plate though :)

Return to “Effects”