UVI Plate

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Plate

jens wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 5:44 pm
jamcat wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 5:00 pm For example, on UVI Plate, the EMT 240 model is 1.91m x 1.7m, which is way bigger than the real 240 gold plate. I’m actually pretty disturbed by this inaccuracy, though some people apparently find it funny.
Since you can change the model to any size you like I really don't see what seems to be the problem here... :lol:
So I just created an aluminium plate in UVI Plate that I really like, and want to build this plate reverb for my studio. The dimensions in UVI Plate are 3.1m x 1.47m. What size aluminium sheet should I buy to build it?

Or if I come across plans for a DIY gold plate on the internet that I want to model with UVI Plate, how would I do that?
Last edited by jamcat on Sat May 06, 2023 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Regards Physicalaudio ones, i did not tried, but at least visually i like UVI version more.

Did they ever add a setting/toggle that would darken the output to simulate the electronics of an EMT plate?

ziggysane wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 10:07 pm Did they ever add a setting/toggle that would darken the output to simulate the electronics of an EMT plate?
The preset "EMT140 Plate Classic" in the 01-Classics preset menu does a pretty good job.

I installed the Physical Audio demo.

It has a lot less control than the UVI, and the size range is smaller (1.5m minimum area vs 0.6m for UVI.) But it appears to leave the real physics/dimensions as they are, unlike UVI. It's not at all difficult to work with this way, which makes UVI's 'scaled' approach seem even more unnecessary and misguided.

The Physical Audio Dynamic Plate also just sounds better. The sound is clearer and more natural. You can really hear the physical attributes of the materials in the Physical Audio Dynamic Plate models. It sounds tangible and 3-dimensional. The UVI, by comparison sounds a bit more filtered and superimposed over the source. It's still good, it's just not as good as the Physical Audio plugin.

I just wish Physical Audio had an advanced mode that gave you control over the position of the driver and pickups. The early beta version actually did, and gave tension control, as well, so it's really mind boggling that they stripped such a desirable feature out. Usually developers strive to add features, not take them away.

Dynamic Plate is also a PITA to work with because the EQ is always active and can't be turned off, and rather than defaulting to 0dB across the EQ, it has a default curve. You can't type the values in, so you have to manually drag each band to 0dB to bypass it (and it's not easy to hit.) You also can't quickly draw a curve across the EQ, because the mouse grabs a single EQ band per click, and doesn't let go. The EQ is a pretty basic graphic EQ with fixed bands and Q. It's so limited that the plugin would be better off without it at all.

Also, instead of having a mix knob and master gain, there are separate 'Input' and 'Plate' level faders that are a bit awkward to work with. Oddly, the early beta version also had a mix knob and master gain control. So Physical Audio's user interface took a major step backwards from earlier versions at some point, which I just don't get. These aren't simply oversights. They went out of their way to downgrade the plugin. They also changed some of the materials that are modeled. Originally, they were even the same materials found later in the UVI version.

(Original Physical Audio beta)

I guess the bottom line is they each have their strengths and some really glaring weaknesses. The irony is that where one shines the most, the other fails the hardest, and visa versa.

Last edited by jamcat on Sun May 07, 2023 2:34 am, edited 6 times in total.

jamcat wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 6:53 pm
jens wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 5:44 pm
jamcat wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 5:00 pm For example, on UVI Plate, the EMT 240 model is 1.91m x 1.7m, which is way bigger than the real 240 gold plate. I’m actually pretty disturbed by this inaccuracy, though some people apparently find it funny.
Since you can change the model to any size you like I really don't see what seems to be the problem here... :lol:
So I just created an aluminium plate in UVI Plate that I really like, and want to build this plate reverb for my studio. The dimensions in UVI Plate are 3.1m x 1.47m. What size aluminium sheet should I buy to build it?

Or if I come across plans for a DIY gold plate on the internet that I want to model with UVI Plate, how would I do that?
From the walkthrough video: "Only the steel model displays the true dimensions of the modeled plate. The rest have their dimensions scaled behind the scenes to produce the equivalent modal density and mode frequencies." I guess the idea is you get a comparable sound when switching materials. Definitely not intended to design your own plate reverb :)
Softsynth addict and electronic music enthusiast.
"Destruction is the work of an afternoon. Creation is the work of a lifetime."

Return to “Effects”