Discourage me from getting Roland Boutiques :)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

sin night wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:58 pm - JU-06: discontinued, 4 voices, not cheap (probably even more expensive than new). I don't see any benefit when you have things like TAL U-No LX (with the only exception of having a piece of hardware if you like working otb/daw-less). I didn't buy it when it was new and I wouldn't now.

- TR-09: nice piece of gear, except for the lack of individual analog outputs and the tiny size (it's not very convenient if you want to perform with the knobs); afaik it's discontinued but you can probably still find it new. Mine is on a shelf for the time being (the TR-8S is much more fun to play with). Lately I'm becoming a bit of fanatic for drum machines so my opinion is biased, but the TR-09 didn't satisfied my hunger for drum machines, it actually boosted my desire of a proper drum machine with the classic Roland sounds (hence the TR-8S).
The TR-09 becomes boring/useless when you want to use different drum sounds (or you want to process them individually... unless you use it through usb).

- TB-03: nice tool for acid. I bought it months ago but I didn't really spend time learning it yet. I don't know if it's already discontinued (but I think it won't be around for long, anyway). The form factor is nice (it's playable). If you like acid, you'll probably need something to perform hands-on (something like the TB-03 or a midi controller, although the TB-03 is probably an easier and more immersive experience than mapping a plugin to a midi controller)

- SE-02: for Minimoog-like (and more) tones, I think it's avery nice tool (if you want hardware, of course). The panel is tiny, is not very performance-friendly in my opinion. Anyway, it's a nice piece of gear.

- SH-01A: this is a really nice synth, in my opinion. The panel is a bit small, but it's usable. There are software alternatives (like that by TAL), but in my opinion the sequencer is the real strenght of the hardware (especially if you slave it to a swung clock through cv). I created a few nice basslines with that sequencer (the approach is different than writing with the mouse in Cubase or playing live with a keyboard). The last one I wrote is going to be played by my Minitaur...
I added the K-25M to my SH-01A, because I needed a dedicated keyboard for it in my setup. The SH-01A gets some use in my setup, it's probably my favourite along with the SE-02 (although this is used more as a sound module).

Just my 2 cents, of course.
Thanks! 03, 01A and 02 are indeed on the top of my list, with the other being more optional :)
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

I had a JP08 for a few weeks, I loved the sound and tweaking it wasn't that bad but the number of voices was annoying.

So I did the only thing that was rational: I bought a System 8, 4 synths in one, proper keyboard, shit ton of knobs and sequencer

It has some flaws (preset storage, lack of aftertouch, no individual outputs for each track) but overall it is the best way to experience Roland emulations which IMHO are great.

The one boutique missing is the system 100, that thing is superb.
dedication to flying

Roland Cloud will give you everything (including the system 100) and it will sound identical to the hardware and cost a lot less (free for a month)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:24 pm Roland Cloud will give you everything (including the system 100) and it will sound identical to the hardware and cost a lot less (free for a month)
Yeah, but it's a subscription which I've no interest in.

Anyway, I've already lost interest in boutiques so Mods can close this :)
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

You can lock it yourself, as you started the thread...

roland boutiques are crap. they look crap, they sound crap.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”