Need Help With Trance Project (CD Completed)

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

wagtunes wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:37 pm I'm assuming the longer the release the less the pumping as the compressor takes longer to stop working. Correct?
A shorter / faster release I would say - as you don't want it to sound obvious that the sound you're ducking is being "ducked".
wagtunes wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:08 pm
Yeah, I understand. But I was told to avoid compression altogether. I was told using dynamic EQ for vocals was better.

You'll have to ask the person who told me to do it this way why it's better. I'm only going by what I was told.
Pro-MB is so flexible and precise that it's basically a dynamic EQ to be honest. A more traditional multiband compressor would be more limited in how many bands are available and how precise the bands can be in terms of frequency range, so they're more "heavy handed".

andymcbain wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:58 am
wagtunes wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:37 pm I'm assuming the longer the release the less the pumping as the compressor takes longer to stop working. Correct?
A shorter / faster release I would say - as you don't want it to sound obvious that the sound you're ducking is being "ducked".
wagtunes wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:08 pm
Yeah, I understand. But I was told to avoid compression altogether. I was told using dynamic EQ for vocals was better.

You'll have to ask the person who told me to do it this way why it's better. I'm only going by what I was told.
Pro-MB is so flexible and precise that it's basically a dynamic EQ to be honest. A more traditional multiband compressor would be more limited in how many bands are available and how precise the bands can be in terms of frequency range, so they're more "heavy handed".
Still doesn't answer my question.

How do I control the release time with a dynamic EQ?

the simple answer
if it does not have one you cannot.

vurt wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:46 pm the simple answer
Then why did somebody tell me to...

1. Use Neutron

2. Use the Neutron dynamic EQ for the vocal

3. Control the release time

Do people just talk out of their arses here without really know what the hell they're talking about? How is anybody supposed to learn anything if the instructions they're given are wrong?

does seem odd suggesting something that can't be done.
i don't know neutron so can't help.

vurt wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:02 pm does seem odd suggesting something that can't be done.
i don't know neutron so can't help.
Neutron has all your basic stuff. It's basically kind of a modular FX unit. Use what you want, don't use what you don't want. And it has a compressor that you can control the release time with. So if they had said use the compressor instead of the EQ, the instructions would have made perfect sense. But you can't control release time on the EQ. You would think they'd know that.

maybe he meant use both?
which would be a kind of modular multiband comp.

vurt wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:16 pm maybe he meant use both?
which would be a kind of modular multiband comp.
No, he specifically said don't use compression because it causes pumping. I can find the post and repost it if I have to.

you don't need to.
can't help then
that poster would need to explain his workflow...

wagtunes wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:58 pm

1. Use Neutron

Do people just talk out of their arses here without really know what the hell they're talking about? How is anybody supposed to learn anything if the instructions they're given are wrong?
Some people will be talking out of their arses. Others will probably be giving advice based on what has worked for them in the past using the tools that they have - and have probably found Neutron’s dynamic EQ useful despite it’s limitations.

Seems I was talking out of my arse as Pro-MB is limited to 6 bands :dog: ... but even if it’s not as surgically precise as a dynamic EQ it should be more than capable of doing what you need here.

andymcbain wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:23 pm
wagtunes wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:58 pm

1. Use Neutron

Some people will be talking out of their arses. Others will probably be giving advice based on what has worked for them in the past using the tools that they have - and have probably found Neutron’s dynamic EQ useful despite it’s limitations.

Seems I was talking out of my arse as Pro-MB is limited to 6 bands :dog: ... but even if it’s not as surgically precise as a dynamic EQ it should be more than capable of doing what you need here.
No you're not talking out of your arse (don't be a wise ass) and yes, I'm sure it's more than capable of doing what I need, but I was specifically told to stay away from compressors for ducking the music under the vocals, so that's what I did. Not knowing what I'm doing (obviously) I can only do what people tell me to do.

well i can only speak for myself but mushy does trance that ive heard (as do others) and suggests he uses pro mb
id do what he does.

that isn't to say there aren't other methods but here id have some evidence he's not talking out of his arse/ass

at least on this occasion :hihi:

vurt wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:53 pm well i can only speak for myself but mushy does trance that ive heard (as do others) and suggests he uses pro mb
id do what he does.

that isn't to say there aren't other methods but here id have some evidence he's not talking out of his arse/add.
This is a good point that must be emphasized, there is no right or wrong way to do things. All I can say is this works for me and is relatively painless.

Watch the videos from the legend that is Dan Worrall:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNkaGACWuhs

EDIT: That's not the sidechain one I was thinking of, sorry.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

vurt wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:53 pm at least on this occasion :hihi:
:x :lol:
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Mushy Mushy wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:56 pm
vurt wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:53 pm well i can only speak for myself but mushy does trance that ive heard (as do others) and suggests he uses pro mb
id do what he does.

that isn't to say there aren't other methods but here id have some evidence he's not talking out of his arse/add.
This is a good point that must be emphasized, there is no right or wrong way to do things. All I can say is this works for me and is relatively painless.

Watch the videos from the legend that is Dan Worrall:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNkaGACWuhs
Well, here's the deal. I already said it up with Neutron EQ. It works relatively well. It's not perfect. I can hear a slight bit of volume drop in the music but it's not drastic. I can't imagine Pro MB being that much better. It's still a compressor. So there is still going to be a drop in volume. There's supposed to be. So rather than go through all that again, I'm just going to leave well enough alone. I'm sure when I post the track, with either the EQ or Pro MB, somebody is going to comment "I can hear pumping." So why kill myself over it? I'm content with the way it sounds and that's all that matters.

Return to “Production Techniques”