Valhalla Delay released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
ValhallaDelay

chagzuki wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:23 am A question about the 'age' parameter on Valhalla plugins, at certain levels or on certain delay types, or in certain era modes (or a combination of all?) it emits a constant background noise whether there's any signal input into the delay. Is there a rule as to when this happens? I notice in some projects some noise during a silent passage and track it down to a Valhalla delay... I wonder, wouldn't it make more sense if the noise was only generated when there was actually a signal being processed/a delay occurring? I can't imagine a scenario where it would be desirable to have a constant background noise, but of course it's often desirable to add some noise to the actual delay.

Edit, it appears to only be the bucket brigade mode, but not the BBDuck... which I guess makes sense.
All of the analog/vintage "color" modes have some amount of noise, it's just most audible on the BBD mode with age turned up.

Apart from being a part of the model, constant background noise allows you to get to feedback self oscillation with no input, which can make some fun feedback sounds.

chagzuki wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:23 am I wonder, wouldn't it make more sense if the noise was only generated when there was actually a signal being processed/a delay occurring? I can't imagine a scenario where it would be desirable to have a constant background noise, but of course it's often desirable to add some noise to the actual delay.
Since the emulated noise is a (by-)product of the emulated device itself and not of the program-material that's processed by it I can't see a reason why it would make more sense to only be present while there's a signal going through it. E.g. a tape-delay is basically a tape-machine that has a tape-loop constantly spinning, constantly recording the input, constanly playing back whatever is being recorded, and constantly erasing it right after. When there's no source-signal coming in, the only signal that is still being recorded, played back and erased is the noise that comes from the input-stage - and to that noise is added which is from the tape-iself and whatever amount and kind of noise which is a by-product of theoutput-stage of the device.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Use a noise gate?
<List your stupid gear here>

The noise is needed for self-oscillation, and increases when you turn up feedback.

egbert101 wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 2:12 pm Use a noise gate?
Wrong thread? :?
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Return to “Effects”