October Contest: Gossip

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

wagtunes wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:47 pmMy voice is my voice. I can't do anything about it.
Your voice is just fine, seriously… maybe not great, but hey, that didn't stop Neil Young either.

vurt wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:01 pmnu shoe :lol:
Ain't that a Mark Foggo song?

Placing ninth is bad? :o

I recall one transcendental piece of mine getting some first place votes but, when it was all said and done, still failing to break into the top 10. :x :lol:

IMHO, besides having a bit of talent and dedication, you generally have to hit the sweet spot to win this thing (Maybe that applies to all such contests :wink:)

rp314 wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:00 pm Placing ninth is bad? :o

I recall one transcendental piece of mine getting some first place votes but, when it was all said and done, still failing to break into the top 10. :x :lol:

IMHO, besides having a bit of talent and dedication, you generally have to hit the sweet spot to win this thing (Maybe that applies to all such contests :wink:)
You also have to be one of the "click" and that's all I'm gonna say on that.

wagtunes wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:29 pm

all but one person voted for you. the majority of which where middleish votes, so that's a very small click (clique ;) )

wagtunes wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:41 pm

I should probably, one month just for kicks, scream into a mic with distortion cranked up to 10 "Your mother eats bugs" with some horribly cliche'd Black Sabbath power chords. I'd bet the farm I'd do better than I did this month.

Against my better judgement, I'm intrigued now. Is that what you think I did?

donkey tugger wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:45 pm

I should probably, one month just for kicks, scream into a mic with distortion cranked up to 10 "Your mother eats bugs" with some horribly cliche'd Black Sabbath power chords. I'd bet the farm I'd do better than I did this month.

not getting involved, but i do like his "lyric" idea 8)

vurt wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:50 pm
donkey tugger wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:45 pm

not getting involved, but i do like his "lyric" idea 8)
I shouldn't either.. It will end badly. :hihi:

im already getting some snacks and a bottle of coke ready :tu:

vurt wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:53 pm im already getting some snacks and a bottle of coke ready :tu:
Sorry to disappoint you but my interest in this entire discussion has reached negative numbers.

FTR, I think DT is one of the most talented people here. I don't think he always lives up to his potential. But I've heard what he's capable of and I surely wish I could sing like him.

Truth is, I'm not a singer and I'm not a performer. I'm a composer and if I could get some talented people in a room with me, I could come up with something that would actually sound great, even if it sounded great 35 years ago.

And no, I also don't have enough interest left to scream into the mic singing about mom's eating bugs. I'm gonna go back to working on my attempt at Trance (another brilliant failure) and try to fade into obscurity around here. Hopefully, by New Year's 2019, people will hardly know I'm around at all.

Decembers theme, a Wagtunes cover.

The Noodlist wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:51 am Decembers theme, a Wagtunes cover.
I'm sure you guys could do a better job than I could.

In fact, one person from Gearslutz covered one of my songs and did an amazing job with it.

Original:

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim ... ex-on-lead

Cover Version (By Kenny Bro)

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim ... er-version

donkey tugger wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:40 pm
per99 wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:40 am but very little melody / structure.

I'll give you that on melody... :lol: But structure??! :o It's very tightly structured with all the little chugs/stops etc, plus there's an intro ,two verses, a middle 8, solo, two choruses etc etc as in a standard song. I'll put it down (like Wagtunes comments on the structure) to inexperience in the dark arts of the heavier end of the Metel... :hihi:
Of course there is structure. For instance you don't use Schoenberg's 12 tone technique. I listened to your entry twice, but I never could have whistled it from beginning to end afterwards. And to be honest, I probably couldn't do it even if I'd listened 50 times. It probably would be easier to whistle one of J.S. Bach's fugues, allthough they're usually not considered too simple... Now - of course you very rapidly get tired of musical pieces that are to simple/naive. When I was in younger man's clothes, I listened to Tom Verlaine's Dreamtime probably at least 300 times without having had enough - some songs melodical but others not.

It would be nice hearing Donkey getting inspired by Eurovision Grand Prix... ;)
To be is to do — Socrates.
To do is to be — Jean-Paul Sartre.
Do be do be do — Frank Sinatra.

Tbase2000 wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:31 am I really want to buy you a new keyboard.
Sure! Because I don't use a keyboard, other than my computer's. But I don't play on it, of cours. "Everybody's building ships and boats, some are building monuments, others are jotting down notes…"
To be is to do — Socrates.
To do is to be — Jean-Paul Sartre.
Do be do be do — Frank Sinatra.

wagtunes wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:29 pm

Here's a list of some of the writers who, for whatever reasons, weren't part of the Nobel Prize clique:

Leo Tolstoy
Henry James
Joseph Conrad
James Joyce
Franz Kafka
Mark Twain
Vladimir Nabokov
Virginia Woolf
Jorge Luis Borges
W.H. Auden
Robert Frost
Marcel Proust
Henrik Ibsen
Emile Zola

Maybe some of us don't mind being in with the losers... :hihi:

IMO it's not really that big a deal, whether one's listening to music, reading great literature or enjoying any other endeavor that is not easy to judge and award prizes to.

You can't beat a bit of a conspiracy. Rationalisation for the weak.

Return to “Music Cafe”